Skip to main content

Just dropped in to see what condition my 1970 Topps cards' condition was in

 
I am currently collecting a bunch of sets where I need to think about card condition.

That's not a concern with modern cards most of the time (although graded-card collectors give themselves extra things to worry about). Pulling cards out of a pack and adding them directly to a binder is one of the great, overlooked benefits of current cards. The problem is finding a current set worthy of a binder.

But with vintage stuff, I'm always on the lookout. I can't be one of those collectors who isn't bothered by moldy, drowned, regurgitated old cards (pre-1950s excluded, of course). I have some standards.

For example, I just received a bunch of 1970 Topps cards from Don, a former blogger who I connected with through Twitter (I have his cards ready to go, just need packaging and mailing time). I don't know what it is about 1970 Topps but ever since I started collecting the set, the condition of the cards has been all over the place, much more so than any set from around that time. I didn't see nearly as many off-condition cards in my 1971 and 1972 Topps chases. I think 1970 might be the cut-off for when abusing/loving your cards was no longer acceptable behavior.

I'm not super fussy about my vintage chases, but I do have some rules. If I get a card with scuffing, major creases, marks, tape, stains, lack of corners, I will look for upgrades. But I'm less picky as the cards climb into higher numbers. And I'll take stuff like minor creases, off-center cards, gum stains, wonky backs and corner wear.

The '70 set is prime territory for reviewing condition. So I'll take a look at the 1970 Topps cards I received and see where they wind up in my collection!


Group 1 looks wonderful. There is nothing here that will have me chasing an upgrade, in general. The Gene Michael has some creasing and registration issues, but nothing that bothers me. A couple cards have minor corner or edge wear, but I'd have to be encasing my cards in plastic to freak out about it.



For Group 2, the majority hits the binders. Ron Hansen has enjoyed a good life in someone's collection so I'll probably find a shinier example. Shamsky's been taped up, that's a bit of a no-no. But never mind that, you're all looking at the Jim Nash card (or the Bob Didier, which is wonderful).

Nash can't go in my collection because it belongs on a wall in an art museum. Not only did someone draw facial hair on Nash and what looks like a Rollie Fingers handlebar mustache, but someone thought it necessary that he have bangs.

It's interesting to me that most of the facial hair drawings on baseball cards that you see are from the 1950s through the early 1970s. It kind of disappears after that, probably because all the players actually DID have facial hair at that point. (That would cause me to think that kids growing up in the mid-1970s would erase the facial hair in a corresponding move, but since I was a kid at that time, I don't think that happened. I didn't do that nor see anyone else do that).
 

Group 3, all great stuff. Nothing but binder material. The Mickey Stanley card reminds me that in the George Brett article that I posted from Baseball Card Magazine yesterday, Brett says he remember getting Stanley to sign for him as a kid.
 


The numbers are higher with this crew so the standards decrease proportionally. I'll finding a different Don Wilson (he's card No. 515) but those sixth series checklists are buggers to find unchecked. Mostly I'm thrilled to have the Ed Stroud card, which has been stolen out of two different online carts over the last couple of years.
 


Group 5 is a combination of high numbers and a couple of appreciated upgraded in the two Tigers. Rick Reichart is the last card in the set so what's a few thumb-tack prints?
 
 

 More upgrading with Group 6! All sweet stuff. This is my third attempt on an upgrade of the worst rookie card in history, Mr. Ray Jarvis there. I suppose it's required that every one of his cards be off-condition to make the look on his face appropriate.
 


Final group. The Paul Schaal is the same as the Group 6 cards, an upgrade. The other five are dupes and can't compete with what I have already in the binders.

Don sent a few other cards without gray borders.


1977 Hostess needs! Woo! Once the 1976 set is done, I will be obligated to collect this.



Moving on to 1978. Not feeling '78 and '79 like I do the other Hostess '70s sets but I sure what every card from those anyway. The collecting compulsion is strong.
 


Don also threw in a couple of 1986 Fleer Tigers, two of the '84 World Series stars. Look at grandma getting all dreamy over Gibby.
 


Staying in the mid-1980s, a trio of 1985 Donruss Action All-Stars. Love the Tron effect. I need the Marshall and Valenzuela to complete my set.



I own a lot of postcards of 1970s/1980s Dodgers but this is one I haven't see, which likely means there are a bazillion more out there I haven't seen. This photo is taken from the 1978 World Series as you can see the Jim Gilliam memorial patch.
 


Don threw in a random pocket schedule because I like these. too. The 2017 OKC team started the season with somebody named Cody Bellinger on the roster.

OK, I'm looking forward to adding these 1970 cards into my binder when I get a chance, and yes, I'll be entering the off-condition cards into the pages upside down.

I probably shouldn't be this particular about a set that is 51 years old, but it could be worse.

Comments

Adam Ryan said…
1970 Topps is a great set…and that song is one of my favorites!
Eric P said…
My partial 1970 set is a mess as well. I don't know what it is about that year that sent kids into a frenzy of writing, taping and bending their cards.
I've got a ton of 1970 dupes. E-mail me your card #s that need upgraded. BTW, Thanks for the package. I'll be posting sometime next week or the following.
Old Cards said…
Great cards and nice play on the Kenny Rogers/The First Edition song.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I think my 71s are worse than my 70s but you're right that those two seem worse than most any other set.
Unknown said…
I almost think the paper quality in the 70 and 71 Topps sets was softer or a different weight because those cards seem to damage so much easier than my 72s.
GCA said…
70 is one of a couple sets that I started with a mid-grade lot and then found nice cheap high numbers. So my high numbers are largely nicer than a lot of the base cards. The conundrum is, do I upgrade 327 base cards or just let it go?
Anonymous said…
Grey borders dont turn me on. Never heard that song before that movie.
Jon said…
I've seen a lot of bad 68's as well. Right or wrong, I've just attributed the large quantities of beat up cards from both sets to the fact that neither were particularly well-liked for the last couple of decades, and therefor people didn't treat them as well as they did with cards from more popular sets.