Skip to main content

Want lists still work

 
(How much you wanna bet Pete is checking on the ponies?)
 
I have been trying to update my want lists on the blog for three years now.
 
It's slow going because it's super tedious and not in the "fun tedious" way like updating a binder.
 
Mostly what I need to update are Dodgers team set wants. I've been working my way backwards and I'm at the tail end of finishing the 2002 wants with Upper Deck and a few randoms to go. Working on these sets makes me realize how many evil sets were created while I wasn't collecting in the first part of this century. There are so many sets where half the team set is short-printed, rookies you never heard of are short-printed, just really annoying stuff. Do I even have the energy to track down an SP'd card of someone named Rick Roberts? Those are the things that go through my head when I'm updating these lists, and then I get deflated, lie on the ground and groan and stop.
 
I still have 2000 and 2001 to go and then most of the '90s as well (Much of Topps is done for that but almost nothing else). It seems insurmountable and I've started to wonder whether there is a point. Do people even look at blog want lists anymore?
 
More and more I've seen collectors talk about loading their wants on TCDB and checking other people's wants on TCDB. It seems to be the place where people check out wants, not on somebody's blog.
 
But I'm going to press forward -- mostly because that's what I do.  But also I get periodic reminders that people do look at this.


These just arrived from gcrl and they are all off my blog want lists.

My recent decision to publicize my 1986 Fleer pursuit and compile a want list has been very productive. My incoming stack of '86s are piling up with no place to go because I haven't had time to find a binder that will house both the '85 and '86 Fleer sets (they are permanently linked up in my mind because of all the confusion over the two sets in the past).

Almost all of the above are stars and superstars (sorry, Fred Toliver) and, lucky me, I got to delete numbers off of my own want list!
 


Looks like gcrl found one of the few non-Topps want lists I've made for '90s Dodgers. I pay special attention to the Ultra gold medallion cards, even for the ones I don't like much (2002 there).
 
 

Staying with Fleer with this 1971 Laughlin World Series card. You know I love these. Laughlin did a lot with very little help from Fleer and the MLB Players Association.



Saved these three for last, not because they're the best but because they're three blowhards (gcrl also sent the Pete Rose card up top, another irascible ballplayer). But all of these are 2005 Topps/Topps Traded needs. Set-collecting does not discriminate! Even though I'd like it to! These people on The List are crossed off the list!
 
Thanks for checking out my wants, gcrl. I'll be doing the same for you.
 
 
 

Next up is a batch of cards from Wax Pack Wonders. I doubt Jeff consulted my wants for these, because I have them all already. (But it's not like my '90s lists are complete).
 
You don't HAVE to consult my wants to send me cards. Blog trades allow for more than "this-for-that" trades that defines trading sites like TCDB or whatever forums still exist. I still prefer the random sends because you never know what you're going to get, and often-times dupes are useful. I read people complain about so many extra duplicates (heck, I do that. Anybody want some Dodgers???????????), but really it's not a big deal unless you have a move in the near future.
 
 

Jeff checked the wants when it counted, and did it ever count with these two 1970 Topps cards. They are the highlight of my recent mailings from bloggers.



Fifty-year-old cards of players on the verge of an MVP season just don't show up in envelopes unannounced very often. This is why the want lists are up on the blogs. YOU NEVER KNOW.

It's incentive to keep plugging away at my want lists updates even though it feels like homework.

Comments

Glad the 70 Topps will find a place in your binder. I took a shot with the others.

TCDB is great but is a behemoth and overwhelming. I prefer the blog want lists, although links to TCDB are ok, too.

Enjoy!
Jimetal7212 said…
Well, can't really blame the site for the overwhelming number of cards listed. Blame all the cards companies, all the releases and ALL THE PARALLELS! Joking aside, it is a lot to go through on there and not one for little patience.
Old Cards said…
Those 70 cards look great. Jeff B's generosity is admirable. Schilling a blowhard? Rose irascible? Always thought of them as just being very competitive.
night owl said…
Speaking more about their personalities, but Rose was definitely fiery as a player. As for Schilling, you'd have to be in a cave not to know he runs his social media mouth a lot.
Fuji said…
Found a few Dodgers for you at the flea market yesterday. Figured worse case scenario you'd ship them off to another Dodger blogger if you already have them.
Adam Ryan said…
This reminds me I need to update my want list before my new blog launches on September 1st.
Old Cards said…
Running his social media mouth is called freedom of speech. Someone that speaks their mind about current issues does not make them a blowhard anymore than any of the other athletes that are outspoken.
night owl said…
Other people would say otherwise and have. ... I showed a card of Schilling and commented on him because that's the card I was showing, not any "other athletes." If this is an issue for you maybe find a Red Sox fan forum to read.
Old Cards said…
Understand your point. I just happen to agree with Schilling on a lot of his views that are not tied to his affiliation with the Red Sox. You have one of the best blogs on the web. I check it almost everyday and will probably continue to do so.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh damn that Gooden in Action card. I knew about these in 1985. Had no idea they were in 1986 as well.
GCA said…
Google sites has said they're shutting down all "old school" sites in favor of painfully generic layouts that don't cater well to plain text pages. Therefore, I'll have to move my wants to my blog site or the database by next month. There are no longer any other free websites available.
Jon said…
I don't know which aspect of blogging I dislike more, making want lists, or scanning. Both are terrible, and both take way more time then they should.