Skip to main content

I'll be fine

With the bombshell news that Fanatics has swooped in and grabbed Topps' exclusive license with MLB, as well as the MLBPA (and some other stuff, nba, probably nfl, blah, blah), collectors' thoughts have naturally turned to what will happen to cards and card brands in the future.

We have almost nothing to go on except some dates. The Players Association deal with Topps ends when 2023 ends, with the MLB agreement lasting a couple years longer. I don't want to speculate on what cards might look like during that interim period between expiring deals. Like I said, that's quite a bit into the future and ... oh yeah, lawsuits.
 
But there is one thing I do know about that time period:

Topps Heritage, featuring the spectacular 1975 Topps design, was expected to drop Marchish of 2024.

You might know how much I love the '75 design.
 
 

I have completed both the 1975 Topps set and the parallel mini set. I'm attempting to accumulate as many buybacks of the set that I can. I devoted an entire card-by-card blog to the set 10 years ago. I've written a magazine article about the mini set, and I accumulated a 200-card insert set dedicated to '75 a decade ago.

It's the first set I ever purchased, pack-by-pack, at drug stores in my neighborhood and across New York's Southern Tier. It means the world to me and it is the only set, 46 years later, that can give me that special thrill that one feels when they are a kid, just by seeing the cards in person.
 
I've had 2024 circled on my calendar for years as Heritage has appeared like clockwork every year since 2001, tracking each previous Topps flagship set from 1952 forward. I waited through a whole bunch of set designs I didn't care about -- most of the ones from the '60s -- for Topps to finally get to my childhood.

We were getting closer with 1971 and 1972, sets that I saw at some point as a kid, collected by older kids.
 
I've mentioned a few times, only half-jokingly, in anticipation of Heritage's 2024 release of the '75 set, that it would be the first time I ever bought a case. And, I had actually thought about budgeting in a case buy when the time came.
 
Now this.
 
When the Fanatics news hit and the dates were announced, people started checking in to see how I was. "I feel sorry for night owl," they said, mentioning 2024 Heritage. "I hope for your sake that 2024 Heritage is still going to happen." a couple folks told me.
 
Hey, don't feel sorry for me. I'll be fine.
 
In the last year or so, I've thought, "do I really want to do this?" The '75 design is the '75 design but the players aren't the ones I collected as a kid. The game isn't the same, I'm sure there would be something not quite right about the Topps tribute. And, oh, there would be all of those mini parallels. And, yup, Topps would probably do something like this.
 
Yeah, I'll be fine.
 
I'm going to save a ton of money.
 
I started getting apprehensive because I just wasn't feeling like I was several years ago. And I think I know why, beyond the disconnect between the players from the '70s and the players today.
 
 

 This is my 2011 Topps Lineage binder of the 1975 mini insert set.
 


The full 200-card set is in here. It was the first (and only) time I completed an insert set that size. It took me a couple of years, but it was a lot of fun. Heck, Lineage, the precursor to the current Archives brand, was a lot of fun. That was the set I was collecting 10 years ago this summer. That was a great summer.
 


Got a few relics from it, too.

Enthusiasm was high for a '75 mini tribute. It was the first of its kind. I was in love.

Other '75 tributes followed afterward, mostly scattered, with a couple cards here and a few there.


They were all exciting at the time, don't get me wrong, but each of them whittled away a tiny bit of my enthusiasm for '75 design tributes.

2019 arrived and so did another '75 tribute, from Lineage's descendant, Archives.
 


This is my 2019 Topps Archives binder of the 1975-design portion of the set, which was 100 cards.
 


I completed this one, too. Had to. It was half the size of the Lineage set, and these weren't insert pulls either, just regular base cards. I appreciated genuine '75-style backs, too.

But if you look closely, you can tell the enthusiasm isn't as high.

There was a mini insert set with this, too. I didn't bother looking for those cards. I have two of them. Yeah, they're not easy to find, but you can bet that if this was 2010, I'd be tracking those babies down.

But this time I didn't care.

This is what Topps has done with all of its design repetition through Archives and Heritage and, especially, its inserts. I love seeing new players on old design. Or, I should say, I loved it until Topps put them into an endless rotation whose total of rehashed tributes could rival the number of times every DJ in the world has played "Hotel California".

It's just not special anymore.

And I'm done spending money on cards that aren't that special to me, that don't give me that thrill, that I purchase only because they're "new." I like "new" sometimes, but what's new here? The design isn't, the set isn't, and you'll see all those players in multiple other sets ... well, actually who knows? Topps won't have a Players Association license by then.

Heritage 2024 still could exist. Fanatics could buy Topps. Topps could sign players to individual deals on the scale that it did back 50 years ago.

But even if it shows up three years from now just the same as always, I won't be buying a case. I probably won't try to complete the set, all those short-prints, remember?

Maybe collectors will send me cards from the set because they know I like '75 so much. I'm happy they're thinking of me. I'm happy they thought of me when they heard the Fanatics news.
 


Sure, if 2024 Heritage doesn't come to pass, my buybacks mission will take a big hit. I had expected an infusion of new buybacks on the market in conjunction with the '24 Heritage release.

But, really, I'll be fine.

There are plenty of other fish in the sea.
 
I've found some new loves. Some of them are even from the '70s.


I'm head over heels.

Comments

Doc Samson said…
Fantastic post, Mr. Owl. I remember ripping open packs of 1975 that I bought from an ice cream truck that used to always swing by my neighborhood. I personally coveted the players who were all-stars like Rose, Carew and Fisk because I loved the "all-star" graphic that housed their position.
Dave said…
There is always 1975 O-Pee-Chee.........
John Bateman said…
For years I had planned to buy a case of this years heritage but 2 things happened.

1. The pandemic which blew the price of cards out of the water.

2. Topps decided to leave a lot of stars out of the set (they have short printed the stars but not but have not left them out all together) Like Kris Bryant, Trevor Story, Francisco Lindor, Rafael Devers, Eric Hosmer, Carlos Correa, Manny Machado, G. Stanton etc.... I did not want to bust a case to have no chance at getting these cars. I believe this is the first time they ever did this.

I always wanted to get that feeling again, as I had as a seven year old ripping open packs of baseball cards for the first time and seeing the 1972 design.

This adult memory that I wanted, to recreate the feeling that I had back then, has been ruined and will never come again. However, I can reach back to that childhood memory of opening those packs and still get a little bit of that feeling. Life goes on.
Here's the skinny on Fanatics plans...... Bringing the hobby back to actual fans as well as the kids. .99 packs 10 cards each for the flagship, no parallels. 2 10 card insert sets, and 1 5 card insert set. Only 1 other off brand (MLB) a high end same as the flagship other than photos and design and comes with a 2.99 7 card pack.


Okay, so I just made up ALL of that, but I can dream right?
Fuji said…
Glad you'll be fine. I honestly didn't even think about Heritage and the possibility that the 75T set might be impacted by the Fanatics deal. This year was suppose to be a big year for me, because the 72's are my birth year set. But the thought of having to overpay for a set led me to deleting my 2021 Heritage Master set search on eBay... and I haven't even blinked. I'll be fine too.
Unknown said…
Great article Sir,

My original Topps 1975 set was the first one I completed and sits in its binder always available for my review. I remember going to the local drugstore and getting packs of cards for .25 cents that I would take home quickly open hoping for that special player. While I have collected for over 45 years, with all the changes lately in the industry I feel new to the hobby and am trying to catch up on all the different sets and news. I guess on to completing my 1968 and 1972 sets...let the adventure begin !!!
gcrl said…
heritage was the first thing that i thought of after i read the news about the licensing and had it sink in for a bit. i've been looking forward to seeing the 1978 design in a full blown set for a long time, and that is certainly in jeopardy now.
John Collins said…
I'm kind of on the fence about this one. Yeah, the Topps overuse of the '75 design (and honestly, plenty of others...) to date does feel a bit played out right now. Hanging over that since the recent news is now the future of any Heritage sets, and it all just feels kind of dark. While I agree with many of your points, I feel like Topps was kind of doing what we asked them to do all along, and maybe this thing has just run it's course. Whether you like modern players in old designs, or older players in alternate, "never were" pics...(I still like both) - there were some great cards to come out of all of that. I would agree with you the fate of a '24 Heritage set seems somewhat less than super important right now.
Nick said…
I'm with you - I was really looking forward to seeing the '70s designs in Heritage (especially '75), but it's nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over. There's more pressing concerns with the whole Fanatics thing.
BaseSetCalling said…
I bought the “Wall Art” print of the Tiant card to gang on a wall some day.

I approach my love of ‘75 Topps in the same way I like Star Trek: I quit watching it a long time ago. That way, I can always stumble across new (to me) episodes at random, going forward. Or can deliberately summon one to watch, when I wish.

So with ‘75 style cards, I just pick up a few when it works. This year I added 3 of the Lineage minis - 30 to go now.

But I too was thinking “case” for ‘75 Heritage. Before this dramatic news clouding the future of Topps, my enthusiasm for the idea was already waning due to the basic laziness of Topps when it comes to Heritage. Where their focus seems to be the lottery ticket cards (Rookue autographs) that in turn make so many people buy cards they don’t even really want chasing those $ cards - that I in turn can barely purchase the cards. I had been looking forward to ‘72 Heritage almost as much as ‘75 Heritage. Until I owned a couple hundred of the new ‘72s with all the repetitive photos and teeny tiny card back text for no real reason.

I will be OK too when things change to New. I’m not done with Old yet, either.