Skip to main content

If this is the end for Topps ...

 
I received an email yesterday evening from one of the bloggers from the old-guard. He doesn't blog much anymore but occasionally comments on my posts and he wanted to let me know the news:


I'm not sure why he sent it to me. Maybe he hoped I'd write about it? Maybe he thought I didn't know yet? In that case I'm assuming he doesn't visit Twitter, because, gracious, beginning late afternoon, Twitter was in an all-out frenzy over the news that Fanatics has pushed out Topps by arranging licensing deals with MLB and the MLB Players Association (as well as the NFL and NBA), effective 2023 (player association) and 2026 (MLB).
 
If you're on Twitter, you know the deal. Everyone was airing their hopes and fears about the future of Topps/the hobby in the form of opinions. But none of them were facts. Because nobody knows what's going to happen.

What will cards look like in 2026? People actually had thoughts on this. I don't even know if there will be cards in 2026. I don't know if there will be anything in 2026. We just were hit with a worldwide pandemic that knocked every facet of society sideways and nobody knew it is was going to happen two months before it did. I'm not going to attempt to say how the Fanatics takeover is going to affect collecting five years from now.

Because I don't know, I don't know how to react. People were sad. I can't be sad, I don't know what's going to happen. People were mad. I can't be mad. People were saying they'd never buy a Fanatics card. I can't say that, I barely know what Fanatics is and I certainly don't know what a card created by them would look like. Will Fanatics buy out Topps? I don't know. Will the Topps name remain? I don't know. Will flying monkeys distribute our cards out of their butts five years from now? I don't know. Could happen. Look at all the stuff you're doing now that wasn't even in your head two years ago.
 
Mostly I'm ambivalent about the news, because ...


Really, when it comes down to it, I don't care. Is Fanatics, who MLB probably hooked up with so it could tell them what to do better than it could tell Topps what to do, going to improve things that much? I don't like modern cards very much anymore and they're getting worse, and Fanatics would have to overhaul a lot of what is known as a modern card for me to look up from vintage collecting and notice.

Expressing what I think might happen is not my thing. I'm not a speculation guy. I try not to talk about things I don't know about (although I'm sure I have). I do not have knowledge or interest in business or economics. My eyes glaze over when people start talking about it. If something big like this happens and I want to get some perspective, I go some place like this (seriously, check it out), where people know what they're talking about -- at least the best they can about something that hasn't happened yet!
 
So, if you've come here seeking knowledge, sorry, I don't have that.
 
But if you've come here wondering what I hope will happen if indeed this is the end for Topps (and I have my doubts), then you've come to the right place.
 
Here is what I hope will improve if Topps is out of the picture:
 

1. The website

I'm just your average online consumer and Topps' inability to construct a logical, operational website has mystified me for years. My daughter helped overhaul her company's website during the course of a week. That isn't even her field, yet she was able to come up with something that runs a lot better than the Topps site. All these years later, the website seems an afterthought to Topps.



2. Release times

Who knows what an actual yearly baseball card set will look like in 2026, will there even be anything called flagship? But if there is, and if it is divided up into series over the course of a year, I would hope that the new outfit will allow for photos to be available of players who have switched teams before they publish the cards. None of this photoshopping in Series 2 when it is released in late June, nearly 3 months after the season began.
 
 

3. Distribution
 
I'm told that Fanatics is a wizards at distribution, so I imagine cards would be a lot more available than they've been during the Topps reign, particularly over the last four years or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the inability of consumers to get their hands on cards over the last year-plus helped spur MLB to find someone else.
 
I have often wondered why Topps cut back availability of cards to mostly big-box stores. As a child of the 1970s, I could find cards everywhere and I've written about that before. Not even a dozen years ago, I could find cards at places like Fay's (well, it was probably a former Fay's at the time). And it was maybe just a few years before when I was finding cards at bookstores.

I realize the retail landscape is much different now and better distribution won't necessarily mean being able to walk down to the gas station and get cards. But I would hope if a new company wants to sell cards, it will make sure they are available always and everywhere (including your own website!!!!). I may not know business, but I do know that's good business.
 


4. Better ideas for insert themes, etc.

I will agree with all of Topps' critics and say that Topps has leaned far too heavily on its own history over the past 20 years or so. What was once a great idea with the Heritage brand morphed into a  frankenstein monster that Topps doesn't seem to be able to stop.
 


Stuff like this is pointless and maybe one of the best reasons for somebody new running the show.

I think Topps is the best card company that ever existed and I give it a lot of leeway because it has produced many of my all-time favorite sets. But the amount of times it repeats themes, reruns its own cards and designs, rehashes concepts, just looks bad. It makes me think they've run out of ideas. And when I see Topps trot out the 1987 design over and over and over like a dementia patient who can't remember they've told the same story 45 times already, I am stunned that such a well-known company would look that clueless.
 


5. More Inclusion

My guess is this might not improve with a change in ownership. I've loathed the tendency to pack every set with rookies and stars since the '90s. There is almost zero need to have more than two cards of any player in a set, and for someone like me who believes a card set should accurately represent your average baseball team or season, stuff like this is super irritating. I love my Dodgers cards. I don't need a 25-card Cody Bellinger insert set every other year.

I would like to see cards of middle relievers and back-up catchers again.



6. Acknowledge your most dedicated collectors

Maybe this isn't anything MLB wants to do either, since the most dedicated card collectors are probably not full of people in the age 18-34 bracket. But these are my hopes and dreams, so I say it would be nice to acknowledge the set collector a little more. Maybe produce packs that contain nothing but base cards (the horror!). Parallels and inserts are nice but they are also an obstacle for the set collector ... and it's a primary reason why I don't bother attempting to collect a modern set anymore. I can't be the only one.
 


7. Hire some photographers

This is more talk from the old fogey, but photographers need to be employed just like people in any other profession. Far too many of them have lost their jobs because companies decided a person's phone can take "just as good" a picture.

But they can't. Getty Images, which Topps relies on almost solely for photos now, does a great job and has their own terrific photographers. But one source, no matter how vast their resources, still feels like one source over the course of dozens of sets per year, year after year.

One of the great things about Topps back before it scrapped hiring its own photographers is that it produced photos that nobody else had. Yeah, a lot of them were players standing still with a glove over their head. I don't care. It was a shot I couldn't find anywhere else, and it made that card unique, even if there were 47 other pitchers with gloves of their heads in the set.

I know nothing about the inner workings of Topps, but is it possible that it just didn't invest enough in its own people and that's why they're in this situation?
 
 

8. Produce cards on real cardboard again

Just a thought.

 
So that's a lot of dunking on Topps, which is already having a bad week. Sorry about that. I probably should be criticizing MLB, and its attempt to control every thought about it (maybe I will in the future).

Who knows what's in Topps' future. I'm not going to pretend to give you an answer. Maybe Topps morphs into an all-Bowman set. Maybe, and this would be cool, it leans all the way into its situation, completely embraces nonsports and produces a bunch of crazy sets that makes me feel like I'm buying Wacky Packages and Star Wars cards again.

I don't know.

NOBODY KNOWS.

And it doesn't matter for me anyway. I won't be collecting much of this stuff in the future. Maybe none of it. It's going to be 100 percent nostalgia very soon.

Stay away from my vintage cards.

Comments

Andy L said…
I had the same thoughts about insertless packs for set building and real cardboard for cards. At the very least, it will be interesting to see what Fanatics will produce and how Topps responds.
Brett Alan said…
I don't think MLB picked Fanatics because it thinks it can control Fanatics. I think it picked Fanatics because Fanatics offered it gobs and gobs of money.

I do like the idea of never having a reprint in a mainstream pack again!
night owl said…
I think it was both. The money part is obvious.
John Bateman said…
2023 will be interesting as Fanatics controls the players images. Could Topps try to strike individual deals with 10-25 stars and point out small sets in 2023, 2024, 2025.

It could recreate a Bowman/Topps war like in the 1950s

I can't wait for the 2024 Mike Trout set (ie 1959 Fleer Ted Williams)

Agree bring back 1970s and 1980s cardboard
A thought comes to mind.... A quote from Charlie Wilson's War...."We'll see"
steelehere said…
Two thoughts on this.

1) Most important for you, Topps Heritage will be up to 1976 Topps which most importantly means you get a 1975 themed set in 2024.
2) In a hobby where continuity means a lot, Fanatics is a nothing brand. Fanatics making an offer to buy Topps sometime in the next two years for their brand names seems very obvious.
bbcardz said…
Love this post. I love the rationality and the lack of knee-jerk reactions. We have at least a couple of years to adjust to this change. Fanatics will likely make some announcements down the road to generate excitement for whatever new card products they offer. Maybe they will buy Topps/Panini/Upper Deck or maybe they won't. Like many others, I'll just wait and see.
Doc Samson said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
sg488 said…
Hope for your sake that Topps will still make the 2024 Heritage Set.
Bo said…
This does seem like the end for Topps. If Fanatics buys the company it would just be for the brand, there's probably not much physical capital that Fanatics would need from them. Or maybe they just wait for Topps to die and then buy the name.

And if Topps knows the end is near, chances are they cut back significantly on product releases going forward. I hope for your sake that Heritage is profitable enough for them to release a '24 set.

Not sure how you define "dedicated collector" but to MLB/Fanatics/Topps the "dedicated collector" is the one stalking the card aisles in the big box stores and pulling guns on people in the parking lot. That's who they are making their money off of. They are not going to see middle relievers and utility infielders as profitable.
night owl said…
Don't worry about me, I no longer care whether there is a 2024 Heritage set. There have been plenty of '75 tributes in the last couple of years to destroy my enthusiasm before this happened. One of my points above.

I don't think they consider the "investors" "dedicated collectors." "Cash cows" maybe. My definition of "dedicated collector" is accurate. It may not fit with today's business model but dedication isn't valued by these people either.
Nick said…
Pretty much echoed my thoughts exactly on this. I understand the freak-outs but there's just no way of knowing what's gonna happen. There's too many other things to be stressed out about in our current world - I'm not gonna worry too much about something that far down the line.

Also agree with you on every single one of your improvement points, ESPECIALLY #s 5 & 7. I don't need 15 Acuna cards in every set, nor the same three photographs repeated over and over again.
Jafronius said…
I was stunned when I read the news and put 2 and 2 together. I first thought the monopoly was over. It'll be real odd to not see the brand in a few years.
GCA said…
Thought about doing a post on this myself, but you've covered most of it, and - as usual - better than most of us can express it.

I totally agree that Topps brought some of this on itself by devolving into a reprint machine.

If they want to preserve some tradition and have some base to build from, they'll buy one or all of the existing brands and (hopefully) renovate them. Heck, buy 'em all and then we can get logos on every brand!

I hope they don't just cater to the investor crowd and only produce high-end, shiny prospect mojo cards and nothing else. Go back to when we had choices of different designs, retro sets, retired players, etc. Bring some of that innovation of ideas and variety of products we've been promised since exclusive contracts became a thing.
bryan was here said…
I'm not too surprised. I planned on this year being the last year I purchase current cards. After this year is over I'll be winding down my collecting by finishing up a few older sets from the '70s.
I also look for Fanatics to purchase the Topps brand in the next year or two. For their sake, I hope they don't destroy it like Upper Deck did with Fleer in the oughts.
One plus out of this-no more overpriced MSA crap from Panini! After how they trashed the Donruss brand they deserve that fate.
Fuji said…
Oh no... now I might not be able to complete my 9 pocket page of 1983 Topps Gwynn rookie card reprints ;D
John Collins said…
All good points, and being critical of Topps is not without merit either. I don't know how they could set themselves up to be bigger, but I do know Topps was once public and then went private again - which if keeping pace at all with the relative size of MLB was any object - that did not do them much good. They do certainly phone it in a lot with references to and re-do's of past sets in various forms. If nothing else it just got to feeling very annoying.

In terms of distribution, my initial thought was that people say that the Fanatics distribution model is better because it's virtually 100% online. So instead of more retail outlets with access to cards, does this mean that things go even more exclusively online? I would think that means nothing but prices going up, and could perhaps be the death-knell of the LCS.

You are right though - none of us know, and a lot can happen in 5 years. Time will tell.
AdamE said…
Because I knew you would put your thoughts in clear and precise words and that a whole bunch of people would see it and then add their own comments to it as well. At that point in time I could easily read it all in one convenient place, with any updates, because the mainstream news passed it buy in a day or two.

You are right, I don't have Twitter.