Skip to main content

Mutualism in the hobby

 
I'm afraid some collectors have forgotten the symbiotic relationship that has long been a part of the card collecting world.
 
While flippers and sellers operate in card collecting purely to get what's "theirs," the card blogging world is still an example of the mutualism that has allowed the hobby to thrive for more than 100 years.
 
Trading is a well-known card collecting standby, even "civilians" can identify it. The opportunity to gain what you want while also giving someone else what they want is one of the beautiful parts of this hobby.
 
I especially like it when a trade benefits someone who isn't even aware of the trade.
 
Take a recent envelope received from The Diamond King.
 
 

Three of the four cards benefited my collection. The fourth card is already on its way to another collector to benefit his collection. He doesn't even know it's arriving. That's mutualism at its finest.
 
 
 
Here is a card that I received from Jay at Cardboard Hemorrhage (took me only three tries to spell this time). It was part of a giveaway, not a trade.

But the card came with a buddy and now that buddy is gone, sent to another collector who could use it more than I (I think). Card collecting isn't anything when you're not helping a buddy.
 

These are cards from Brewers diehard, Matt. Just for the hell of it, he was willing to give away cards if people named their favorite Brewer.

It didn't take me long to think of Gorman Thomas. This blog is full of odes to Stormin'. I love the St. Michael's Hospital reprint of Thomas' 1981 Topps card.

Inevitably, this giveaway will lead me to sending Matt something. It's just the way this hobby goes, for people who know how the hobby goes.

One last item, this is from Dodgers fan, Craig.

He's one of the collectors who received a bunch of surplus Dodgers I was giving away a few months ago. I sent those out with no strings attached, I just wanted to get them out of my house (I still have too many).

Yet, the pull of mutualism in this hobby is too strong. The other day I found an envelope that contained my No. 1 want among Dodgers Police sets, the 1988 set, recognizing the World Series champions.
 
 
How do I know it's from that year?
 

Well, those Police sets don't make it easy. There are no dates on them. Often the quickest way is to find the coaching staff and pinpoint the year from that.
 

Even that doesn't quite help in this case. All of those guys hung around with the Dodgers for more than one year.
 

But here's a card that confirms it: Don Sutton's return to the Dodgers (note that prematurely gray 'do) came in 1988!
 
You don't have to trade to enjoy this hobby. But I'd hate to think where it would be if trading suddenly stopped.
 
As usual, thinking about someone other than yourself will always make a situation better.

Comments

What a wonderful post & ode to trading. Bravo.
"... thinking about someone other than yourself will always make a situation better."

So true. If everyone folowed that, then the world would be a better place.

This is the first time I've seen that Brewers St. Michael's card. I'll have to check to see if it was a part of a set or just a one-off.
Unknown said…
Trading adds much enjoyment to the hobby. I share your sentiments.
Nachos Grande said…
Agree on all counts. I'd have quit this hobby a long, long time ago without trading.
I’m glad you like the ‘88 set, but I should have provided a note so you didn’t have to solve the mystery, lol. Even then, I imagine you enjoyed that part.
What do you mean, no way will I think of someone other than myself.. Nope, not gonna do it. With that said, I'll have to weed through this stack of Dodgers I've got sitting here, or maybe just get lazy and send you a scanned email.
Fuji said…
Interaction and exchanging cardboard is one of my favorite things about the hobby... and has become the main reason I blog. I'd probably still collect without them... but it wouldn't nearly be as fun.
Hey, glad you got the cards, and very glad at least a few made your collection! Awesome call on Gorman, he's one of my faves too. I love that Lite Beer card, hilarious!
Mark Hoyle said…
Trading is still’ king
Jon said…
You have trouble with the second half of Jay's title too? Phew, I'm glad to know that it isn't just me.