Skip to main content

Feeling like a flipper for a day

I think I've established fairly well in a few different posts that my family isn't the card-buying type when it comes to Christmas gifts.
 
I never know what to expect as far as cards at the holidays. And asking for specific wants can be tricky.
 
I marvel each year at this time when someone on social media says something like, "look at these 1964 Topps cards that completed my set, I have the greatest wife in the world!!!" This would never happen to me. First, such a gift would require an unnatural interest in my hobby, which nobody in the house -- other than me -- has. Second, any request for something that specific -- "I need cards #431, #435, #502, #520 and #558 from 1964 Topps" -- would scare off my loved ones.
 
They do have their moments. But in general, card requests must remain as generic as possible and then I hope I get lucky and something fits into my collection.
 
Which explains why I ended with this yesterday:

Don't get me wrong. I liked it. Especially in a year in which I can count the number of days I've opened packs on my two hands, I really liked it.
 
I was also intrigued because I think I've opened Bowman Chrome less than five times in my life.
 
This was a gift from my sister-in-law, who out of all of the family members is the least afraid to get me cards. And she's shown a terrific knack for selecting the right packs, often packs with hits, time and again.
 
I was also quite impressed because how did she get this BoChro box past the flippers? I know for a fact that she shopped for presents back in October and during that month these mega boxes were selling for $50 online and virtually impossible to find on retail shelves (this was the first time Bowman Chrome had been sold as a retail product in a few years).
 
But that's my sister-in-law. She finds cool, weird stuff like this. And I ask no questions.
 
It actually made me feel like a flipper. A flipper on Christmas Day!
 
But it also made me feel too responsible. This is one of the reasons I don't buy stuff like this. Cards like this are almost intended to be resold and I don't need that kind of responsibility. I like cards that I can collect, no other thoughts necessary. I don't need cards attempting to provide for my family.
 
So with those thoughts I started opening.

The Bowman Chrome mega boxes come with five packs of five cards and then two special "mega box chrome packs" where your chances of pulling something fancy increase.
 
 
 
 But the first pack started out just like every other pack I've opened in 2020. I think Jose Berrios has been in every single one. And Bryan Reynolds in every other one.
 

A couple other cards that people who open stuff like this might care about.
 
 

And the hot player to pull for most of 2020. Pretty sure this is my first Luis Robert card. I know I should have the exact number down -- I'm so irresponsible -- but I don't. We'll say this is my first one.
 
 


 
Pack 2 was all rookie cards. That might've been a first for me. Even with the number of rookies ramping up in every single set, I don't think I've pulled a whole pack of rookies before.
 

 The "hot card" in this one was Randy Arozarena. Missed my window to sell this. Oh dear.

 

 Pack 3 debuted with another hot rookie with the first card out of the pack.

 


The rest of the pack. I like the borders on these cards, but I still haven't figured out the logo treatment where it's covering up the other logo section.


 

Pack 4 contained all kinds of "hot stars" -- wooooo -- but as usual I was looking for Dodgers. Not the product for that, I know, but it's too late to retrain me.
 

Here was the hottest card in this pack. If I was one of those breakers, I'd set it aside and "sleeve it."

 

Pack 5 was filled with guys I've heard of, which automatically means it was a dud in the eyes of Bowman fans. 
 
Let's erase that memory of actual players who compete in the major leagues and move right to the special mega box chrome packs.
 

These are called "mojo refractors" and that is the most Bowman Chrome name ever. I wish these cards were as blue as they scanned but they aren't. And I was pretty bored with the contents of this one.
 

The second mega box chrome pack started out better with the only Dodger in the box. Well, he hopes to be a Dodger someday.
 

 Second card, nobody I've heard of.
 

Third card: autograph.
 
This is what people who buy this stuff want to pull. No great star here but Gabriel Moreno is a top 10 Blue Jays prospect so I guess I should hold on to this and see if he ends up doing anything (such responsibility!). But I'll probably just send it to Sports Cards From The Dollar Store (can't handle the responsibility!) Out of curiosity, I did look around enough to know it goes for about 10 bucks. It's not his "first Bowman auto!!!" so everyone just calm down.
 
 

Final two cards. I know Deivi Garcia (because he's pitched in the majors), I don't know anyone named "DL" and I also don't know what happened to initials with periods.
 
That was my flipper-type box experience but I know someone is going to pull my flipper card because not only will I not attempt to sell anything but my favorite card in the box by far is the Dodger.
 
My sister-in-law also gifted me with some pages, which is always appreciated. I could have used another binder -- my Dodger collection really needs a 30th binder -- but I didn't get that. Instead I got one of these:
 

I've seen these in the retail aisle this year -- it's often one of the only things remaining -- and I didn't really understand them.
 
After owning one for a day I still don't get them.
 
Perhaps I need someone to explain it to me, but there are enough pages for only 180 cards. There aren't many sets that are 180 or less cards, at least not many in my collection. They are either way over that amount or a lot less. I still don't know what to put in it.

Secondly, why are the first half of the pages designed for back-loading and the second half front-loading? Am I missing something? (I hate back-loaded pages, but I hate a mix of each even more).
 
Also, I received a gift card to Target. I suppose my sister-in-law is thinking if she can find cards on retail shelves, anyone can.
 
So, yeah, that was me with my card presents this year. I had that dog look when they're trying to make out what you're saying to them.
 
But that's OK, people are trying.
 
They aren't trying like THIS, but they're trying.

Comments

Merry Christmas. Hope it felt great to open some packs.
buckstorecards said…
Moreno is also a 2/14 baby. That means it would be twice as welcome in my collection.
John Bateman said…
I don't think Cory Kluber even pitched this year, what is he doing in the box.
Please tell me you were wearing gloves when opening this! Where were your one touches??

For those that don't know me, that was pure sarcasm.
From the scans, I might like BowChrome better than Bowman, but it's hard to say because I have one - yes, one - 2020 Bowman card.

Because Nick Solak was the only Texas player in Series 1, I think he may forever be "The Lone Ranger" in my mind.

FWIW, DL Hall is a decent prospect (and punctuation is a relic of the 20th century, I guess).
Jeremya1um said…
Looks like you got some decent cards out of that box other than only pulling one Dodger. Glad you were able to get some cards for Christmas and that they didn’t fall into the hands of a flipper.
Adam said…
Those are nice cards for sure but the design looks like pretty much any other Bowman design I've ever seen, at least recently. If you're interested in dumping the Reds cards and the Kluber, feel free to send them my way if you like. Hope you had a good Christmas!
Nachos Grande said…
That Lodolo could end up being a good card if the Reds actually drafted a good pitcher for once (probably don't hold your breath, though).
Nick Vossbrink said…
I think I've got only one Bowman card from this year. All the Stanford prospects are only in the auto set and with MiLB going the way it's been going I have no idea if I'm still going to have access to Yankees prospects until 2022.

Als regarding the pocket orientation in the mini binder. Sheets are made with pockts all on one side, then sealed together down the middle and folded in half. Results speak for themselves. Open the binder down the middle where the seam is a all of a sudden you'll find the pockets are all facing the same direction.
Laurens said…
I think the binders are made for non-sport gamers, so who knows how they like they card pages arranged as opposed to regular sports card collectors.
Jon said…
That Robert kid sure has a lot of rookies out there. I hope for all the "investors" sakes, that he actually goes on to do something of note, otherwise there's going to be a lot of unhappy campers out there (even more so than usual).
Grant said…
Your SIL seems like a nice lady. Kirilloff is a good pull.
I am shocked that you did not get a Dodgers hot pack. Those Mojos are pretty sweet though.
Fuji said…
Swing And A Pop-up - I came across a YouTuber who was going through some mystery packs he purchased on eBay and he was wearing gloves. I'm assuming this is the trend with this surge of new collectors.

Night Owl - That's pretty cool that your sister-in-law hooks you up with cards. My sister-in-law bakes me cookies... which I absolutely love. But I definitely wouldn't complain if she showed up with a box of baseball cards instead ;D
acrackedbat said…
Reading this post's title in my feed, my first thought was, "What? He went swimming with dolphins?" Flipper. I can still hear the theme song. I've been over rookie cards since I came back to the hobby in 2012. Still, if gifted this box, at least there be packs to rip and perhaps some fun cards to share around the blogs...like that Posey.