Skip to main content

It'll be over before you know it, rook

 
Howie Kendrick announced his retirement the other day.

I admit my first thought was "good." I am still having a problem digesting that 2019 postseason.
 

My second thought was his rookie card. Kendrick's rookie card is in the 2006 Topps Update set and anything having to do with that 2006 set, flagship or update, means a little extra to me. That was my return to collecting modern cards. That was the year I discovered they sold cards in Walmart down the street and responded by trying to complete everything Topps issued in flagship that year.

Kendrick's retirement means that there are precious few rookie card players from that Update set that are still active.

This kind of stuns me. Was 2006 that long ago?

Yeah, turns out it was. All of the following notables with rookie cards in 2006 Update are no longer playing:

Andre Ethier, Stephen Drew, Jered Weaver, Chad Billingsley, Mike Napoli, James Shields, Kendrys Morales, Ben Zobrist, Josh Johnson, Melky Cabrera, Carlos Quentin and Russell Martin.
 
See that, Luis Robert? It'll be over before you know it.
 
So, which '06 Update rookie card guys are still playing?
 
Kind of a difficult question to answer, especially in 2020. There are a few that may have hung it up already but we don't know that yet and maybe even they don't know that yet. Here are some free agents who may or may not have seen their final playing days:
 
 
 

(Yes, I know you can't read the names. We're dealing with 2006 Topps here).
 
A couple will likely be back. A couple (or more) won't.
 
Even the one guy who is likely to return is also a free agent and his status not certain:
 

When did Jon Lester get old?

I'm telling you, I returned to collecting a long time ago. Only 5 of the 39 players with a rookie card in 2006 Topps Update have a chance of making the majors next season.

Even with the 2006 Topps regular set there aren't many rookie card players who are still suiting up for a big league team. In fact one took last year off. And another isn't planning to return until 2022:
 


 
Three guys. Three out of the 57 rookie cards in the main set.
 
Retired rookie card notables from the 2006 base set include: Ian Kinsler, Jon Papelbon, Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla, Matt Cain, Prince Fielder and a few other semi-notables like Ricky Nolasco, Conor Jackson, Tom Gorzelanny, Fausto Carmona/Roberto Hernandez and Craig Breslow.

And, of course, the most famous rookie card player in the 2006 set -- one that almost no one has -- also has retired. Alex Gordon announced his retirement effective at the end of last season.

It doesn't seem like I've been back in collecting all that long but this underlines it for me. And it should for any rookie ballplayers out there.
 
Time flies when you're having fun.

Comments

Nick said…
I re-entered the baseball card market right around the same time you did, and it floors me how few of the rookies from the mid-2000s are still active these days. Though I guess 14 years is kind of a long time...

It's also jarring to see guys I've grown to know as grizzled veterans (notably Hill and Lester) during their baby-faced rookie years.
Jeremya1um said…
That post hurt! It seems just a few years ago that I moved to Alabama and was gobbling up packs of ‘06 Topps and Upper Deck and getting first cards of all of these guys you mentioned who are now retired. Was it really that long ago? Seems like you can almost say the same thing for 2010 Topps as well. Time flies.
Put an exclamation point on it!
John Bateman said…
Even though Verlander and Zimmerman had the rookie card logo their cards were in 2005 Topps Update. Hanley Ramirez had been around for years on cards. Price Fielder to me was one of the True Topps Rookie cards in the last 30 years. I believe that was the first Topps Company product he ever appeared on.

Dan Uggla ( I thought another Topps True Rookie but he had a Topps Total card in 2005 at least) is one of the most interesting players in History. I think he is the only 1 or 2 players (with Joe Dimaggio) and the only mid infielder who had at least 25HR and 80RBI in his first 6 seasons.
K
Where have you gone Dan Uggla the nation turns it lonely eyes to you Koo Ca Chu.
bryan was here said…
I believe it was Dan Uggla, while with the Braves, was hitting about .170 then went on a 35-game hitting streak and brought his average up to around .240.

Hard to believe that guys debuting in the 2006 set are either long gone or just about to hang them up. I always wondered about the backstory was behind the Alex Gordon card.
The (lack of) readability of the player and team names is just one of the many reasons I don't collect post-junk-wax cards.

Who thought foil-on-foil was a good idea???
Fuji said…
I used to think about guys who were younger than me retiring. Then the focus shifted to guys who started playing the same year I started teaching retiring. I guess now I should follow your lead and start looking at players who started their careers in 2008 when I returned to the hobby. Lol. There's no holding back Father Time.
Nachos Grande said…
I got back to collecting in 2007, I fear my results would be nearly identical to yours...time is a cruel mistress.
GTT said…
Here's another one to make y'all feel old: I was born in 2006.
Grant said…
Howie Kendrick's retirement hit me especially hard because we share the exact same birthdate, July 12th, 1983. No other player in the big four sports has or will have that in common with me. Sad.