Skip to main content

A lifetime

 
I began collecting cards 45 years ago, and it's been on my mind a lot lately because I've been guesting on a few podcasts and the story of "how I started in collecting" always comes up.
 
Last night, I was on the About The Cards podcast with the three hosts of the show, three guys I've also traded with, by the way.
 
 
There I am discussing my hobby past or something in my past, no doubt. That's me in my current state, for better or worse, still in love with collecting.
 
This is me during the very first year I collected in 1975:
 

 Yeah, I know. What happened?
 
Well, life happened that's what. This is what collecting does to you. ... OK, I'm kidding but, yeah, I've always been more of a lifetime guy than a moment-in-time guy.
 
By that, I mean, I like being involved in things for the long haul. I appreciate how people or things change and grow over time and I like seeing that growth. My favorite shows or movies are always character-driven and I love it especially when you see the character change over the years.
 
I am in this hobby for life, not just a moment in time, not for just one year when collecting is HOT. I didn't get in and get out during the junk wax era. I stayed with it. And, yeah, I took a big, long break of about 10 years but I always knew, somewhere in the back of my mind, that I would come back.
 
Because I appreciate long-term commitment, I enjoy cards that reflect that long-term commitment. The best examples are manager cards in which the manager also played in the majors and has cards from when he played.
 
Stuff like this:
 
 
And this:
 
 
That is great fun. If you are unfamiliar with the person as a player, it's fascinating to see what that person looked like when they were younger and to see that progression. And if you knew that person as a player, then you probably grew along with them and know exactly how that player aged as he became a manager.
 
The best example of this might be Don Zimmer. Those "lifers" are always the best.
 
Many baseball lifers spend a lot of their time in the minor leagues or as a coach so they don't show up on cards a lot, or at least not for their entire life span in major league baseball. That's what makes Zimmer's cards so great. He was in the majors and on cards for a loooong time.
 
 
Here he is on his first cards in 1955 as an infielder with the Dodgers.
 
 
 
He appeared regularly on cards back then, mostly with the Dodgers, but later with the Mets (then back with the Dodgers as his 1963 card shows) and the Senators. His final card as a player comes in the 1965 Topps set as a member of the Senators.
 
 
 
Zim then pops up on his own cards -- this time as a manager -- with the Padres. It's certainly unusual and he does look older. But there are tell-tale signs that it his him. That round, squint-eyed face. That ever-present chaw.
 
 
Here is where I first got to know Zimmer, as the manager of the Red Sox. This is the most familiar Zim to me. And, look, on his 1978 Topps card you can see that progression from player to manager all in one space! This is what makes the '78 manager cards so great!
 
Zimmer was fired from the Red Sox after the 1980 season on Oct. 1. This must have taken Fleer by surprise in its return to producing cards in 1981 because on Zimmer's '81 card he's still with the Red Sox!
 
 
Topps knew what was up, though, throwing him on its Rangers team card in the '81 set (the hat airbrushed, I'm sure).
 
 
Donruss, meanwhile, waited around to 1982 to make sure it got it right.
 
 
After Zim's departure from Texas, he worked as a coach until getting the Cubs job in 1988. He first appears with the Cubs in the '88 Topps Traded set. And then he gets a card every year from 1989-91 in Topps sets because Topps was properly recognizing managers at that time.


 
 
Zimmer returned to coaching after the Cubs and that's where he remained, coaching for the Yankees and Rays primarily. His final current-day card, that I know of anyway, is from the All-Time Fan Favorites set in 2005.
 
 
It's a shame there aren't any cards of Zimmer as a Rays coach as that was his final tenure in the majors. But, still, thanks to Zimmer sticking with it ... and me sticking with cards ... you can see that development from player to long-time coach.
 
 
Yes, you can see what the years do to a man, but you can also see the experience, the stories -- oh, the stories -- and the knowledge.
 
Those of you who are parents know this: It is one of the greatest joys to see your children grow up into adults, to see them develop their own character and views and perspectives.
 
That's a little bit how I feel about seeing people on cards for the life span of their careers. Yeah, their older. But they know so much MORE.
 
This is why I don't collect rookies, this is why I'm not jumping at the latest-and-greatest issue. I'm not in this for cheap thrills or quick cash or a single year of a player's career. I'm in this to see where the journey goes, and to grow along with it.
 
Cheers to all of you for sticking with it. Cheers to the journey.

Comments

Totally agree with all of that. I always appreciated the manager/coach cards more than just the manager cards, '73 being my favorite version. And that '65 is one of my all-time favorite Fregosi cards.
Lovely post as usual. Terry Francona's a lifer for me especially as he's a kid of ball player and so has been around seemingly since he was in diapers.
Another great post. I too like seeing how a person, place or event has evolved (and also stayed the same) over time.

I wonder who holds the record for most number of years between his first card as a player and his last card as an active manager. My first guess would be Connie Mack, but I don't know if he appeared on any cards while he was playing.
bryan was here said…
Great post as always! It was always just another sign of me getting old when guys who were playing in my younger years became coaches and then managers. When John Wathan became the Royals manager during my Grade 11 year, it was a bit of a shock. This wasn't Pete Rose, a player-manager. This was a guy playing in the World Series two years prior.

I still can remember when Terry Francona was one of the hottest phenoms in the game. Been fun watching him with the Indians the last few years.
I'm right there with you all the way.
Jeremya1um said…
Great idea for a post. Just another reason Topps needs to make manager cards again.
Connie Mack appeared as a player in the 1887 Old Judge N172 set, and he was in the Callahan Hall of Fame set in 1950, his last year as a manager. I'm guessing 63 years between player and manager cards has to be the record.
Adam said…
Great post! It is pretty neat to go back and compare cards of managers as players.

Also, I'll have to check out that podcast!
Nick Vossbrink said…
I've been enjoying sending playing-day and manager cards out to guys TTM.

Also I guess it's worth bumping these two SABR posts.

https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2017/11/29/lifers/
https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2018/01/10/lifers-ii/
Fuji said…
Although I do enjoy collecting rookie cards... I too am in it for the long haul. Yeah... I might take a few months off (in the mid 90's) or even a few years off (back in the early 2000's)... but the hobby is like a magnet that always draws me back.

As for Zimmer... thank you for writing this post and taking the time to scan all of these cards. I always comment on any post he's featured in, because it's either how I picture him (pretty much from his 1973 Topps moving forward)... or it blows me away at how he used to look (1963 Topps and earlier). So cool that his playing, coaching, and managerial cards spanned five decades. Can't imagine there are too many other guys who can say that.
bbcardz said…
Awesome post. I started collecting a few years before you and the trendy rookie craze does not matter in the least to me. I've never invested in or sold a card either. I consider us "hobby lifers".
Michael Ott said…
Thanks for the great Zimmer retrospective! Wonder if anyone has done the same with Red Schoendienst.
Bo said…
Great post - I've thought about doing something similar. I just got Zimmer's '65 Topps card the other day. He already looks like an out-of-shape old manager on that card.
Nick said…
This is a great post - comparing playing day cards to manager/coach cards is always fascinating. I'm very interested to (hopefully) see which guys in baseball now become lifers, or if such a thing as a "baseball lifer" persists into the next generation at all.
Salgado said…
This is exactly why I alphabetize every card I get. Yes, all of them. Cubs binders? Alphabetized. Nearly 100,000 of everyone else? Alphabetized. Autographed cards? Alphabetized. Seeing a lifetime in the game in card form is my reason for collecting.
Jafronius said…
Totally agree. Topps needs to bring back manager cards.