Skip to main content

I am published, magazine version


I'm in the middle of one of those life explosions.

I think you know what I mean. Life goes along at its usual clip, alternating mild amusements with mild annoyances and then, suddenly, you're hit with a rapid-fire series of events that tests your ability to handle basic human tasks.

That's where I'm at right now. I've got zero time for anything fun, and yet I was made aware yesterday -- in the middle of another life explosion -- that my name is on an article in Beckett Vintage Collector with the title "Pure Fun".

Yes, I am a published magazine writer. Fun!

I have been a published newspaper writer for three decades and I couldn't tell you how many articles that is. Thousands, for sure. A lot more than the number of blog posts I've written. But my name has appeared in a magazine just once before. It was a couple of years ago. It was a golf story, in a magazine that is issued by the same company that publishes the newspaper where I work.

Even though that golf magazine was a mere extension of where I already earn a paycheck, I was thrilled. It was like seeing my name in lights. The glossy sheen. The big, bright photographs. That smell. That magazine smell.

I've always wanted to write for a magazine. And now I have on a national level.

I still haven't seen the latest Beckett Vintage Collector publication myself (I'm told Babe Ruth is on the cover). The image above was provided by Nick of Dime Boxes, who came across the magazine (and my byline) while stocking shelves where he works. But now you know my story subject.

I hope you all enjoy the article. I'll spend the next few days scouring whatever store I can find, cursing the fact that nobody can keep a bookstore open around here, looking for a copy. (I can't remember if they said they'd send me a copy and I'm too impatient to wait).

When I do land a copy, you will no doubt see another blog post about it.

I probably should get a subscription to the magazine, huh?

Comments

John Sharp said…
Congratulations!
I'll definitely have to get a copy of that issue.
sg488 said…
Congrats,can't wait to read it.
Brett Alan said…
Looks great! Hopefully it will still be on the shelves when I get back to the US.

I had a couple things published in Beatles fan magazines, but that's on a much smaller scale. Congrats.
Jonathan said…
You should not only be writing for, but also editing Beckett. I might still have a subscription were that the case.
Jeremya1um said…
You’ll sign a copy if I send it to you, right?
Chris said…
This is awesome, congrats on being published in a magazine! My daughters have been asking to go to Barnes & Noble so if I see a copy of Beckett Vintage with this article inside, I'm definitely buying one.
Billy Kingsley said…
Congratulations! I had my first of three articles published in 2008, all in Model Cars Magazine. It's an incredible thrill, and I suspect you will see your name in the byline in there again. I will be purchasing a copy as well, hopefully. Also hopefully, I'll even read it, too! I'm woefully behind on reading actual printed materials.
DMA said…
Congratulations!
BaseSetCalling said…
It really is Fun! Until the 1099 arrives in the mail a year or two later - the day you turn Pro.

Congrats!
Mark Hoyle said…
I plan on reading the article tomorrow. As I’ve told you already. If you can’t track one down. I’ll send my mag your way.
congratulations, I have a letter in Star Wars #10 that is my only published work, except for a self published book of poetry. I will try and find a copy of the Beckett
Adam said…
Congratulations! I'll have to find a copy of that.
steelehere said…
Congratulations. I actually have two Barnes and Nobles near me. I usually go there twice a year (gift cards during Xmas and late January to purchase fantasy baseball magazines). Looks like I'll be able to tackle to birds with one stone during my next trip there.
night owl said…
Update: I picked up four copies tonight.
gcrl said…
That's great! I once had a letter published in Mad magazine.
Congratulations, Greg. I haven't bought a Beckett's in a long time, but I'm getting this one. Sometimes I need a reminder too why I collect -- for the pure fun of it.
night owl said…
Yep, I'll sign it ... for a fee.

OK, I'll sign it for free.
Commishbob said…
Congrats, Greg. I got mine early this week and I read the article (or skimmed it at least), right there on the curb by our mailboxes. LOL I love that set and am glad it got some love in Beckett. the fact it was you made it so much better.
Raiderjoe_FO said…
Will get magazine.

simpson said…
awesome man, congrats! the thrill of being published never gets old, even in this digital age.
Don said…
Congratulations. Living in a rural area I'm at the mercy of Wal-Mart for my magazines. I'll be on the lookout.
Fuji said…
Congratulations! Purchased my first Beckett in years with the 80's issue. Guess I'll need to support Beckett a little more by going out and picking up a copy of this issue.
bbcardz said…
Way to go Greg! I agree with Jonathan's comment above, that you should not only be writing for, but also editing Beckett. I haven't bought a Beckett since last century but I would definitely become a subscriber. For now, I'll be on the lookout for a copy of Night Owl Vintage Collector--I mean Beckett Vintage Collector.
Nick said…
Congrats again, Greg! I read your article on my break yesterday and, as expected, it was superb. (It should be said that you got me to buy a Beckett for the first time in at least a decade, too.)
Unknown said…
You deserve it. Well done. I’m an avid reader of Beckett Vintage so I’m looking forward to it.
madding said…
Congrats! Viva Print Media!
SumoMenkoMan said…
Awesome. Congrats...time to go pick up a copy!
Old Cards said…
Congrats! Just yesterday, I was at a bookstore and thumbed through a Beckett for the first time in ages. I can't remember anything about it. If I had read this post first, I would have paid more attention.
Matt said…
Congrats! I hope I get a chance to read it!
arpsmith said…
Congratulations, can't wait to read the article!
Bulldog said…
Congratulations! That's great and can't wait to read it.
Adam Kaningher said…
Major accomplishment! Congratulations!
Nachos Grande said…
Congrats, that's awesome for sure!
acrackedbat said…
I'll be out scouring about, looking to pick this up! Vintage is the only Beckett I ever purchase, always dependent upon the cover. Congrats Greg! A highlight moment for you!
Congratulations on the magazine article. I'm going to a card show on Monday where they usually sell Beckett magazines. I'll definitely try to pick one up while I'm there.
GCA said…
Nice job! I think they'll wonder why their sales jumped up this month. Most of our community will be buying one for the first time in years.
Bo said…
Congratulations!
gregory said…
Well done, Night Owl! What a great achievement.
Jafronius said…
"Wanna see my picture on the cover...wanna buy five copies for my mother" How awesome, congrats sir!