Skip to main content

Prolific

I've got the day off tomorrow, which will be spent catching up with my trade transactions. I'll be packaging some, organizing others and tracking down cards for yet a few more. I'm not seriously behind, but I am behind, which is something I know I have in common with a number of bloggers.

That's why I admire certain other bloggers who always seem to have their trade act together. The Manny card was sent to me by Jeff of Card Junkie, not more than two weeks after he sent me some other Dodgers cards. It's greatly appreciated because it completes the Dodgers 2008 Updates and Highlights set for me (except for some blasted insert, I'm sure), and means I don't have to waste any more money on U&H until next fall comes around.

Then there's John of the U.K., who falls into a whole other category. I received what I believe is my fourth package in five months from the proprietor of The Pursuit of 80sness. That's downright prolific! He had warned me some more Dodgers would be on the way. He says he's a Dodger magnet. I'm glad somebody is. I'm an Eric Chavez magnet. And a Lance Berkman magnet. I wish I could be so lucky.

But I guess I am, because I have more Dodgers to go through! And you're going to watch (or click onto the next blog, whichever).

John sent two 1994 Topps Finest cards, Raul Mondesi and Mike Piazza. I've mentioned how much I like these cards. They have a carnival midway sort of look. It's not the kind of card I'm supposed to like, but I do.

Here's a 1994 Upper Deck card of Mike Piazza, proclaiming "The Future Is Now." 1994 doesn't seem that long ago, but Piazza is now retired and waiting for his Hall of Fame call. I'm thinking he goes in as a Dodger. I think he should (yeah, some Mets fans are up in arms, but I think L.A. gets the slight edge).

Chin-Lung Hu, 2007 Bowman. I assume Hu is wearing the uniform of Chinese Taipei, and not that team that's still waiting for Willie Mays to come back so they can finally win a World Series.

Shawn Green, 2002 Upper Deck Big League Heroes bat relic 191/200. The card features a bat chip with L.A. stamped on it (I assume they did that after they cut the bat into chips). It's nice. I know it's nice because the card back tells me I'm to be congratulated. Thanks Mr. McWilliam, but I really didn't have anything to do with it.

Shawn Green, 2003 Victory. One of those inanity cards. The card back mentions Green hitting more than 40 homers in back-to-back years. How is that "Laying it on the line"? Why not write "There's always room for Jello" on the front? It makes just as much sense.

1995 Upper Deck Orel Hershiser. I know there must be Orel Hershiser super collectors out there. This is what I want to know from them: exactly how many Hershiser cards are there?
2003 Topps Tribute Kevin Brown. 36/225. This is very shiny and slabby. And Kevin Brown's got his own logo on the front of the card. That's about all I know about this.

1988 Donruss Diamond King Bob Welch. Just when I thought I had all the Dodgers from this set, I forgot about the Diamond Kings. I didn't like it when Welch was traded to the A's. He was always a favorite of mine. But L.A. ended up with a World Series ring with the players they received in return, so I can't complain.

On to some modern cards, since pitchers and catchers report in less than two weeks! Kuroda is basically the Dodgers' No. 2 pitcher right now. That's a little unsettling.

Clayton! My man! I've seen bloggers everywhere pull Kershaw cards. I'm a pinch jealous. But this card, from Upper Deck Timeline makes up for that a little. It's a nice one.

Another Upper Deck Timeline of J. Martin. This makes me want the season to get here even more. I like a starting line-up of Martin, Loney, DeWitt, Furcal, Blake, Kemp and Ethier. Oh, and, um, uh, somebody else.

But we're not talking about that right now (as my aunt says). I'll let Manny be Manny for today.

Thanks for the cards John and Jeff. Glad someone's organized.

Comments

nymetsfan said…
No way Piazza goes in as a Dodger. There is no way he goes into the Hall wearing the cap of the team that traded him. Mike Piazza is a NY Met.
night owl said…
Well, Mike doesn't get to choose, if that's what you're referring to. The Hall chooses.

I think the Hall will choose L.A. because his stats for the two teams are basically equal (maybe a slim, slim edge to the Mets), and Piazza established himself as a star when he was a Dodger.
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
I think the Manny has found a loving home.
Wax Heaven said…
John sent me like three packages in a month's time in 2008. He's awesome.
Looks to me Bulldog has close to a thousand cards, But I'm a Sax supercollector myself, 75% there!!
dayf said…
Split the difference and put Piazza in the Hall wearing a Marlins cap.

I'm one of the other guys who is way behind. I've got something coming your way one of these weeks though...
Mark Aubrey said…
I've got a checklist for Hershiser that stops with the 2005 issues. It is up to 972. A thousand is a very good guess.

I'm still organizing my Hershiser collection. I guess I've got about 250 different cards of his. Darn sticker autos.