Skip to main content

Lazy Saturday (and the worst card of 2009, contestant #1)

"Lazy" doesn't refer to the happenings of the day, mind you. Saturdays are never lazy when you work in the sports arena.

Instead, "lazy," in this case, addresses a state of mind. I'm just not feeling it in terms of producing a quality post. So I'm simply going to blather about a few things on my mind and wrap it up for the night.

First off, take another gander at Ryan Braun's entry into the 2009 Topps field. Talk about lazy! You know what I said about Topps vastly improving its photography over last year? Well, scratch that on the Braun effort. What deadweight decided that this would be a good photo for Milwaukee's brightest star? (All things Prince excluded, of course).

Not only is it as uninteresting a photo that anyone could dream up, but the combination of the hair and the look on Braun's face makes it seem like he just woke up in a daze after sleep-walking to the ballpark. He can't be happy with this card.

This officially goes down as Contestant #1 in the "Worst Card of 2009" contest. Only cards I own will qualify. The sidebar has been created at right and I'll add to it as the year goes on.

Still, even with that delightful Braun card, I have decided to collect the 2009 Topps set. I enjoy it enough that it will be the first time I've tried to collect the flagship set since 2006 (before that you have to go back to 1991).

I have added 2009 Topps to my want list, right underneath all the 2008 offerings that I haven't completed yet. After all, it wouldn't be my life if I didn't have all those balls in the air.

Speaking of which, on Sunday I will finally get around to writing an autograph-request letter to the great Duke Snider. I hope to mail it off on Monday. Since I asked for everyone's opinion on what cards I should send, I thought I should let you know what I selected:

The 2001 Fleer Ultra was the people's choice, so I'll be sending this one out.

And I'll be sending the 2007 Topps Distinguised Service insert as well, because I think it will look great with Snider's signature. I'm told that Snider often signs only one for free, so I will enclose a donation for his autograph on the second one.

For those of you who recommended I send some of the older cards, like the 1957 Topps Snider, I have to say, you have more guts than I do. Even though cards are replaceable, I would hate to lose that particular card in the mail. The actual card means a lot more to me than the signature. So I'll go with the two other cards that both look nice and are cheap to reacquire in the event that they get lost.

Once again, thank you for all your advice.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will really be upset if there are no 2009 cards featuring a picture of Braunie hitting that homer to beat the Cubs and send the Crew to the playoffs on the last day of the season.
AdamE said…
When are we going to find out about that 51 Topps?
night owl said…
Adam: Duke's got to sign one or both of the above cards, and then I'll tell the story of the '51 Topps card (the story doesn't have anything to do with Duke, just his card).
Dinged Corners said…
Card mystery: which will you come back to you first...the Duke or the Cueto?
Dubbs said…
I'm declaring an early victory for that Topps Braun card...seriously? The face of the franchise gets that card?
MMayes said…
Easy victory. Duke Snider autograph will arrive months before Johnny Cueto.