Skip to main content

Whatever your era

 
Happy Independence Day. Hope you aren't working like I am.

This is the day that collectors who are online show off their red, white & blue, patriotic-themed cards. There are a lot of them. I think Panini churns out something with stars on it every week. There are red, white and blue cards for every era.

Today, I've seen current stuff, I've seen U.S.-flagged themed Upper Deck stuff, cards from the 9/11 period, cards with flag patches, etc., etc.

But those aren't my era. I wasn't collecting in the late 1990s, nor the the early aughts. I don't collect Panini, I don't collect patches. The best thing I've seen from the last five years are the 2019 Topps Independence Day parallels. I was fortunate enough to pull the Max Muncy while in a hotel room on vacation four years ago.
 
But MY era is the '70s/'80s. And for me, there's nothing more patriotic than those red, white an blue cards that came out during the bicentennial. 

I showed a bunch of those cards last 4th of July and I really hate repeating myself. But there are some of those cards that I just purchased and they're sitting on my card desk just waiting for the opportune time. Here they are:


I've been panel collecting.

I've made a renewed effort to pursue '70s Hostess cards. After finishing the '76 Hostess set, I kind of cooled on pursuing anything else from that time, which is plain dumb if you ask me.

So I've been chasing Hostess panels and single cards, doesn't matter. Sure the '76 set is complete but the '76 Hostess PANEL set isn't complete. And if I didn't have these to show, what would I do then?


OK, I'd probably do something like this. You didn't know the '78 Topps All-Star cards were patriotic? Take a look at those badges.
 


Obviously, grabbing Hostess cards knows no particular holiday. You can get them anytime you want. This is a 1975 panel that I recently added. I also am waiting on a 1978 panel that's been taking a little too long. (Check out that abbreviation of "George," why?)

Hostess cards do seem like summer cards to me, which may be why I'm reviving my chase right now, but I hope to continue to do so when the snow's coming down as well.

Whatever your era, there's an oddball card or set for you, and probably a red, white & blue card as well. I may not understand yours, you may not understand mine. But the key thing is we have the freedom to collect what we want.

So bring those cards to the park or the beach. Put them right there on the picnic bench next to the hot dogs, relish and potato salad. It's your right as an American.

Comments

Brett Alan said…
Staying home, watched the Mets win. I don't see myself taking my cards to the beach anytime soon, but I am putting some recent acquisitions in binders today. Um...patriotically, of course.
Nachos Grande said…
Happy 4th to you! The thought of snow makes me shudder, even on this hot and muggy day.
Amen to that brother! I can only hope I don't find my self pilfering through my Hostess dupes and 78' Topps now. We'll see.
RunForeKelloggs said…
I have been trying to get Hostess cards. I prefer the entire box but the panels are great too.
Old Cards said…
My era is the 60's and 70's. Those 78's with the patriotic badges look great. Glad I have all eighteen of them!
Michael D said…
Happy 4th! I don't have any hostess panels or cards. I think its because the ones I've seen look like I'd cut them out. If you ask my wife, she'd say I can't cut anything straight!
Bo said…
I guess "George Hendricks" was too long for Hostess to fit so they had to shorten his name to "Geo." If only his last name was one letter shorter, perhaps they could have fit his whole name in.
Fuji said…
Hope your work day went quickly and smooth. Just like your 1956 Topps set... I'm jealous of your 1976 Hostess panel set build. I considered building it too... but could never find a nice starter lot to get me off the ground. Maybe one day.
1984 Tigers said…
Missed the patriotic emblems on the 78s until now. Pretty cool!

I was fortunate to have a friend whose mom and step-dad worked for Hostess and Wonder Bread in Detroit so I got the 78 and 79 full panel sets. All I need now are some sheets to hold them.

Can't imagine trying to fill a panel set 1 by 1. Some are just not to be found unless you buy a full set.

Paul t
Jafronius said…
Way to balance the new stuff with the classics...USA!!!