Skip to main content

Stuck on you

Sometime in the early 1980s, I either read about in the newspaper or saw on the local news that a movie was going to be filmed in the smallish city where I lived.

The movie turned out to be "Stuck On You!," a low-budget, B-movie sex comedy from the folks at Troma Entertainment, who would go on to become known for "The Toxic Avenger" and other low-budget horror comedies.

I never saw "Stuck On You!" in theaters, I think I may have eventually seen it on the USA Network (Up All Night with Rhonda Shear) or on Turner television.

The movie is pretty awful and some of the humor would not fly today, hardly anything the city Chamber of Commerce would list on their notables. That's probably why I can't find anything about the movie being filmed in my hometown (it's possible I'm mixing it up with another movie).

Anyway that movie has stuck in my head all these years and here's another sticky thing that I haven't been able to get out of my brain for four decades.

I've finally stuck all the sticky stickers that belong in the sticky book! The 1982 Topps sticker book is finally complete!

You can see the last two stickers I needed to finish the final page, they were right next to each other! Concepcion and Carew side by side. The Mike Schmidt All-Star sticker was the third-to-last sticker I needed. (I also needed to get a second regular Dwight Evans because the first wouldn't peel).

I received the final two stickers from Jim, who is @RunningOz on Twitter. It's been a long journey.

I've mentioned this sticker set many times on this blog, how it was the only sticker set I cared about, how I thought stickers were for babies at the time, how it's the only sticker book I bought, how I collected the stickers but refused to stick them, how I never completed the set and eventually got rid of the book and the stickers, how the book and many of the stickers came back to me 12 years ago all the way from England, and how I enjoyed the back page of the sticker book most because it's about the only place that Topps recognized the Dodgers' 1981 World Series championship.

So you know all that already. So now all there is to do is show each page of the book all stuck:




To think I was buying all those stickers while they were supposedly making "Stuck On You!" in my very own hometown.

And that's why both, that dumb movie and this dumb ol' sticker book have stuck in my brain all these years, the way dumb stuff like powder blue unis and gratuitous nudity from your teenage years tend to do.

But I guess that's officially the end of the sticking -- unless I decide to collect a second unstuck set, like I was trying to do back in ''82.

Comments

Stuck stickers...... oh no... what is Mr. Bill going to do now?
bryan was here said…
Every time I see that sticker album, it triggers the memory of me and my sister competing to see who would fill up theirs faster. I remember I finished mine because I met a kid while playing little league that year who was also working on his own album and we were trading buddies. There were those and then my dad got me the Fleer Star Stamps album at a Circle K in the ghetto part of town. Only place around that had them, and no one else collected them so I only had about 70 or so for that one.

About fifteen years or so ago, I found unopened boxes of the stickers online plus books. I bought one for each of my kids so they could enjoy something I derived so much joy in as a kid.
RunningOz said…
Happy to have played a part in this epic journey!
Angus said…
Congratulations! That is an accomplishment!
Old Cards said…
Never got into sticker books, but seeing your completed one is very impressive. Congrats on completing the set!
1984 Tigers said…
Wow, I collected the 81 sticker set and almost filled it before my freshman year at U of Mich beckoned. I bought a lot of packs along with a friend in July 81 so we could trade.

The strike was still going on but didn't blame the players for that round.

Don't remember if I bought the album but did put the stickers in plastic sheets where they are still today. I wasn't keen on putting them into an album like you did because I thought they may be worth something today (they aren't but for memories).

Only set I every licked or taped into an album was the massive 1972 Sunoco football stamps.

By 82 I only collected the baseball and football sets. Topps had discontinued hoops and hockey by fall 82. Only stickers I got from 82 baseball are the free ones they gave out in packs. Plus I have two topps fun packs bags that have 82 football packs plus about 20 packs of stickers.

Glad you filled the set! I do remember topps would only send you 1 or 2 all star foils for every 10 you bought direct.

Paul t
Matt said…
That sticker book was reason 7-year old me didn't buy any actual baseball cards in 1982. I never completed it, couldn't tell you where it ended up, but I recall it fondly and seeing it now makes me want to hop on eBay and begin anew. Loved ripping open the packs and getting those shiny All-Stars!
Derek said…
Collected some of the Panini sticker albums with Mattingly and Canseco on the covers that I recall. Had lots of fun doing so and learned a lot about those players in the process
Fuji said…
This was the first Topps sticker album I ever purchased. I was ten and getting to the age where normal kids start to outgrow stickers... but not me. My problem is that money was limited and I couldn't buy enough packs to complete the set.

I ended up buying an album with most of the stickers already placed in it earlier in the year. Then got some help from a fellow blogger who completed it for me.
Jon said…
Happy completed sticker set!
Jafronius said…
Congrats on the completed sticker set!