Skip to main content

Birthdate cards

 
It's another birthday today.
 
I've tried to post on my birthday every year of this blog, seems like the thing to do when you're writing a blog about yourself.
 
So I've started to run out of 716 topics, except I haven't posted about 716 cards.
 
I have always enjoyed that I was born on 7-16 in Buffalo, whose area code is 716. I don't suppose that is very unusual. Just think of all the people in NYC born on Feb. 12. But I think it's a nice tidbit.
 
Cards with 716 as a number don't come around too much. Until the late 1970s, it was fairly uncommon to produce a set with as many as 716 cards.
 
But I found 10 that are interesting enough for me. Let's check them out.
 
 
1991 Upper Deck Julio Machado

Do I have this card? Yes.

I've always liked this one. Machado looks more like a construction worker, joining his work buddies on the side of the street for a well-deserved break.
 


2002 Topps Ichiro Suzuki MVP 

Do I have this card? Yes

This is the first Ichiro card I had in my collection, pulled out of about the only pack I bought in 2002.
 

 
1990 Donruss Bart Giamatti 

Do I have this card? Yes.

This is the final card in the '90 Donruss set, issued in memoriam as Giamatti had died the September before the set was issued.
 


1983 Topps Tony Perez Super Veteran 

Do I have this card? Yes.

I liked the Super Veteran cards right away. It gave me insight into players who played in the 1960s and early '70s and who they played for. I didn't have much knowledge about that era then.
 


1992 Fleer Pro Cards Pedro Martinez 

Do I have this card? No. Sure would like it.

I don't know what it is about this set, I have one card from it. It's either that it's relatively rare or more probably that I don't chase 1990s minor league issues much.
 


1991 Topps Bob Green

Do I have this card? Yes.

I don't know if Samuel is safe or out and I'm not looking it up because it's my birthday.
 

 
1991 Pro Set Jim Harbaugh Photo Contest subset

Do I have this card? No. Not interested in owning it.

Pro Set football is an odd beast with seemingly random subsets everywhere. This one covered photo contest winners. It is a great photo.
 


1980 TCMA Jorge Bell 

Do I have this card? No. But like with every card with this design I want it.

I didn't know the future George Bell was part of the Phillies organization until making this post.
 

1982 Topps Willie Stargell In Action 

Do I have this card? Yes.

 
 
The photo for the In Action card is the same as the one on Stargell's 1981 Topps base card. Not a great move as the two cards underline how grainy many of the 1982 Topps photos are.
 


1972 Topps Jesus Alou 

Do I have this card? Yes (he said proudly)

Any set collector knows that any '72 card in the 700s is a dreaded high number. But I don't hear many complaints about the Alou card like I do with several others.

OK, that's 10. I'm off to finish enjoying my birthday. Posting is likely to be sporadic in the next week. But I'll be sure to show up on the other side with more cards to show.

Comments

Happy Birthday! Hope you're having a great day. I'm raising my glass of wine to you!
Angus said…
Happy Birthday!

It was great seeing you the other day.
Man, that is a great photo of Harbaugh getting slaughtered! Happy Birthday.
Grant said…
Happy birthday, fellow Cancer!
kcjays said…
Wishing you a very happy birthday!
Enjoy your day. 🎈🎈
Jafronius said…
Happy birthday fellow 7/16er!
Old Cards said…
Happy Birthday! Yes, that 72 Jesus Alou is a great card to have. I need one for my collection, but I'm too cheap to spend the funds right now.
Jeremya1um said…
Happy belated birthday! Hope you have a nice week.
Matt said…
Happy birthday and happy 7/16 day! (both belated)
Doc Samson said…
Happy Birthday, Mr. Owl! Seeing 2002 Topps always bums me out. An excellent design ruined by that horrendous border color.
1984 Tigers said…
Happy belated B day, night owl.

I hit the big 6-0 this coming Sunday. Yep, those 72 highs were a bear to get back in the 80s and 90s. Even with ebay or other sites, still probably a pain to find.

I'll have to look up some of the 723 numbers to see if anyone famous pops up.

Paul t
Matt said…
Happy Birthday Greg!!
Nick said…
Happy (belated) birthday, my friend! I've also had a tough time finding those Pro Cards minor leaguers over the years - I probably own a whopping two or three of 'em. The late '80s and earlier '90s ones seem common, but from '92 on they get darn near impossible.
Crocodile said…
Belated Happy Birthday!
Anonymous said…
That Alou is awesome.
Jon said…
Happy belated birthday, Mr. Owl!
Fuji said…
Happy belated birthday! Hope you did something fun. You made me go see (on COMC) if there were any cool birthday cards for my collection, but since my birthday lands in September... the selection was pretty small.
Happy birthday! Hope you have a nice one.
Derek said…
Happy belated!