Skip to main content

Cards that won't stay flat

I recently received some cards from two different blogging buds. The envelopes from each featured vastly different cards, but there was one thing in common with both of them.

First the cards from Daniel of It's Like Having My Own Card Shop (come back to your blog, Daniel!)
 

Many of the cards he sent that I needed were shiny -- I mean super-shiny, like that Puig example.
 

OK, that one isn't shiny, just mini.
 

But these are shiny and they are also cards that are the theme of the post title.

They will not stay flat. I could place them under a large box filled with my Dodgers dupes for six months and they still wouldn't be as flat as your average card.

And you know what, it doesn't bother me much -- in this example. I  will put them in a binder and they won't warp the pages, so it's all cool. I will always give a pass to something in pretty colors.

The other envelope was from Jeffrey of Cardboard Catastrophes.

He sent some cards that I absolutely adore but also have been the bane of my existence this year.

There's an example. I think you've picked up on the curling action by now. 🙂

I don't mind that with Kellogg's cards but I definitely won't be putting it in a top loader because I'm paranoid about cracking. (Most of my '70s Kellogg's cards are now in penny sleeves stacked in a shoebox, safe from harm).

These are beautiful. They are all from 1974 and I appreciate every one very much.

As happy as they make me, that's how careful I will be as they are not flat at all.

Let's just say I gladly tolerate cards that won't stay flat.

Jeff also sent a package of cards that are definitely flat.
 
These are the Oklahoma City Dodgers team set cards, I believe from this year's team? Plastering Bobby Miller on top is a big tip-off.

All of the above are some great cards and surprises in each case. I sure do appreciate my blog buds, especially these days when there are fewer and fewer of them.

Comments

I have never enjoyed the cards that curl, it has always been a nightmare for me. Started with the Chrome cards from Bowman and Topps, and nowadays almost everything seems chromium like. They are so hard to scan 9 cards together neatly evenly. Drives me nuts, yet I keep getting them. UGH!
Brett Alan said…
I'm in the process of opening a couple blasters of last year's Panini which I found on sale at Walmart. They don't even come out of the pack flat!
bbcardz said…
Nice-looking cards, even if they do curl. Gotta love those Kellogg's cards!
Fuji said…
Kellogg's have to be my favorite curling cards of all-time.
Matt said…
I just added a few cards to your stack I will need to get out. Hopefully they will stay flat
1984 Tigers said…
Pre plastic sheet days, I do remember some of my topps cards curling a bit (and staying curled) when I lived in a house without AC and we had humid weather for some days.

Not sure if they became flat again after going into sheets. Humidity has definitely been a concern but my house had AC added over 30 years ago so I can leave cards out now.

Wish I had done what you did with my Kelloggs and stored them in penny sleeves. Seeing a frank Robinson card that was perfect only to be cracked years later was painful.

Paul t
beefman said…
2010 Topps Chrome are the worst offenders in my collection. Closely followed by 1997 Topps Team Timber inserts.
Jon said…
It's good to know that Daniel is still around, seems like he's pulled quite the disappearing act!