Skip to main content

4 purchases


I just came back from a visit to my beloved Buffalo. There is so much I want to do there, but since much of my family -- on both sides -- lives there, I  mostly spent a lot of time catching up.

Nothing wrong with that, but it limits the Buffalo things you can do.

I wanted to go back to the antique place I saw in a mall during my visit last year. There were a lot of cards there but I was caught off-guard.

Totally prepared this time, I was underwhelmed with this visit. There was hardly any vintage, way too much football and junk wax galore. Also, the following annoyed me:

A lot of the cards were under glass, so you'd have to find someone to ask to look at them. Particularly annoying is there were multiple dollar boxes under glass. Meanwhile, not far away, were comic books for a dollar each that I could touch and manhandle all I wanted. Come on sellers, stop it.

I walked out of there with nothing. I had planned to buy a couple '70s albums (so many great cheap ones) to go with my card purchases, but with the lack of card enthusiasm, it put a damper on everything and I just put the LPs back.

So then it was off to Dave & Adam's again. Surely I would find some cards there.

I left Dave & Adam's with 4 purchases. My wife bought two of them for me (she was still in birthday mode) and I bought two. She did much better. Let's see those two first.

 
For the second straight year, I bought a baseball T-shirt there. About 90 percent of their clothing inventory is football/Bills, so buying a baseball shirt there amuses me.

I've had Bisons shirts in the past, especially when I lived in Buffalo and went to games, but it's been a long time.
 
 
My wife also go me this. It's a panoramic view of the Bills' Highmark Stadium after a Bills touchdown last year. I looked it up and it's from the Bills' Sunday night game against the Packers last season.

Normally I would have no use for something like this that's like 40 inches wide, but they just gave me my own office at work!

I have never had an office before, even though I have been a boss for over 25 years. I still don't know what to do with it. It's decent-sized, has two windows and lots of wall space. So my wife is helping me with decor.
 
 
OK, now here are my purchases. Keep in mind I was rattled by the lack of interesting cards at the previous antique place and at Dave and Adam's. So much nonbaseball.

I needed some one-pocket pages. It's the only size I need, I have surplus of everything else. Do I need 100 one-pocket pages? Absolutely not. I need like 10-20. In fact I was in another store about 30 minutes earlier that had some hobby stuff, including some one-pocket pages, about a dozen tied together. But I decided not to buy them because I was going to Dave & Adam's. Upon seeing the 100 one-pocket pages -- the only option at D&A's -- I did not put them back and run racing back to the store with the more reasonable number of pages. I just bought the D&A overkill. I've become a terrible in-person shopper.
 

My second purchase. Yes, I have said I would not buy this. But I decided to because I was using birthday money and I had already bought plenty of Heritage, which was on display right next to Big League.

How bad could it be?

Answer: Very.

I don't like what they have done to Big League and now that I've seen it live, I really don't like it. It's being marketed as the replacement for Opening Day, a kid-friendly product. And the inserts are definitely kid-friendly.

But that doesn't make it cool to short-print a third of the base set. That's not kid-friendly. Five of the Dodgers cards are SP's. I don't know if I'll ever see them. And they're all foil. I don't want to see foil on my cards ever again and it's terribly mean to those with OCD to make some of the base cards regular card stock and some of them foil!

Yet when I expressed my opinion on this product on that other social media site, I got the usual apologists. "It's a fun, cheap rip." Well, "fun" is relative but this product is more expensive than Topps flagship. Anyone who defended Big League to me in response, I knew right away I had nothing more to say to them.

 
This is about the only card I enjoyed because I still needed it. I'm not showing anything else because I can't handle discussing it any more and I'll be getting rid ... er, distributing them to fellow trade partners.
 
But it's my fault. I should've bought more Heritage.

The best purchase of my visit though is when we went to John & Mary's, which is a sub institution in Buffalo. We walked in and absolutely everything inside it was the same as in the late 1980s. The booths in the same spot, same pictures on the wall. Nothing covered in shiny foil and no secret menus (i.e. short-printed food).


Just the greatest subs I have ever tasted anywhere. I feel sorry for the people where I currently live who think they know what a good sub is.

Kind of like people who didn't collect in the 20th century knowing what a good card set is.

Sorry, I think all the driving today made me old.

Comments

You nailed it with the sub.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oof. I don't think I've ever seen a rip so bad you didn't show off the cards. Giants are all non-foil in this set and I'm still bleagh on it. I explained it to my kids and they're bleagh as well. A profound misfire and I hope all the SP nonsense ends up in dime boxes next year. A shame since I used to love that product.

Also, regarding the 100 1-pocket pages. I've found that I run through those faster than expected. They're great for taking care of scorecards and they're pretty versatile for other things from completed Donruss puzzles to untrimmed 9-panel sets.
GTT said…
Congrats on getting your own office -- unfortunate that your time in Buffalo was such a bust card-wise.
Grant said…
Subs look good, amigo.
Yeah, Topps blew it (unsurprisingly) with the Big League. They really should be sued by the collecting world for misrepresentation. Kids product my ass. To rip enough packs to complete the base set would cost over $4K. The Gold SP's the last cards of the set are 1 per case! I still need one foil (not the Aaron Gold) for my Braves team. Anyways, Glad you got to spend time with family and get your sub.
Angus said…
Sorry that the antique place disappointed you. I know you were looking forward to it.

But what do you mean by too much football? I don't understand... :)
Jimetal7212 said…
Congrats on the office. Over the last 10 years I've watched myself downsize in space while I move up the management chain. I went from having 2 office (due to the nature of my work at the time) to one office (normal) to my own cubicle to a shared cubicle. As I've gone upwards, I've lost space. Go figure....
bbcardz said…
Congratulations on getting your own office. Here's a couple of ideas to decorate those walls:

https://fathead.com/products/m03-lado-teamlogos-blue

https://fathead.com/products/m17-10153
1984 Tigers said…
I went from having a decent office from 1986 to 2014, then cubes that allowed at least a few books and shelves, then to the "new age" open workspace that allowed for nothing more than perhaps one photo mounted on a desk, then to covid workspace, then to retirement in 2021. Now I have a man cave with my computer and shelves with books of cards.

The plastic sheets went from the harder plastic that would warp over time (mid 80s) to softer and safer (pvc free) to ultra pro (bought these exclusively in the 1990s). Been through buying lots of those boxes.

Too bad about the antique store. Not sure why they were understaffed or just uncaring. I'd have had a lot of single loaders in boxes plus books available for team groups. And say hi when you came in and asked you if you had certain needs or interests.

Paul t


ned said…
Is that a hoagie?
Zippy Zappy said…
That sandwich is one of the greatest things I've ever seen on the blogosphere.
Fuji said…
Congratulations on getting an office. Have fun decorating it. There are a few solid sandwich shops in my area... but no idea if they are classified as subs or not. If I ever go to Buffalo (probably never, but you never know), I'll try to remember to try John & Mary's.
carlsonjok said…
A couple thoughts:

1. I was all up in high dudgeon mode when I saw that the Bills sold the naming rights to my beloved Rich Stadium. Then I looked it up and it turns out they sold the naming rights to Rich Products back in 1972 in one of the very first such commercial deals.

2. Growing up, my family's sub place was Amiel's. Looking that up, it is still in business and, if memory serves, still in the same exact location. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Jafronius said…
Congrats on the fancy office and awesome looking sub. I missed out on Big League st retail, it's really more expensive than Flagship?
Jon said…
Hopefully by being given an office it means that your job is safe. And congratulations on getting that too. I can only imagine how big of a deal that must be.