Skip to main content

Joy of a team set, chapter 24 (and a magazine article update/request)

 
I'm battling a dying keyboard on my laptop so I've been posting on my phone, both here and on the 1993 Upper Deck blog (new post over there, sorry I can't link right now!)
 
It's not fun, so posting has been/will be sporadic until there's a resolution. This also comes at a super-inconvenient time because I am working on not one but two Beckett articles this month.
 
The first one I will finish writing next week (I sure hope it won’t be on my phone). Then I'll start the next one. More on that later.
 
But first I want to do another Joy Of A Team Set post. I wanted to note another 1970s anniversary. A lot of that stuff happened 50 years ago now, you know.
 
I've already done a JOTS for the Swingin' A's, it was my very first Joy post. But what about the team the A's played in the World Series that year?
 
The 1973 Mets barely reached .500 but made it to the seventh-and-final WS game. That was a novelty then but fairly commonplace now with allowing all sorts of Wild Card teams to advance. You could say the '73 Mets are pioneers! Or the harbinger of the awfulness to come.
 
So, anyway, let's see the Mets from the 1973 Topps set:

Favorite card runners-up: 5. Jerry Grote, 4. Jon Matlack, 3. Duffy Dyer, 2. Jim Fregosi 
 
Team's claim to fame: I just mentioned it. Notable players from that '73 team missing in that set include Don Hahn, Harry Parker, Ron Hodges and, of course, Rusty Staub, who was boycotting Topps. Outside of Staub, the '73 set did pretty good.


Worst-conditioned card: I was surprised to see that almost all my '73 Mets are in great shape. That's not easy to do with a popular team in a vintage set, especially for '73, whose cardboard seems to actually crumble.


Favorite element on the back: With '73 it's got to be the cartoons. But I couldn't decide which one I like best, so I picked four.

Former or future Dodgers: Jerry Grote, Ted Martinez, Bill Sudakis and Joe Pignatano and Rube Walker on the manager card.
 
Players I've talked to: None. A little before my time.
 
 

Most '73 card: Matlack pulls out the win with the rookie cup, which made its debut in '73, along with the equipment strewn on the field and the random guy with his back to the camera.


 

A Mets Mays card that rarely gets cited:  There he is, right there in the lower corner AS A MET.

Speaking of which, my favorite card in the team set:


Of course it's Willie Mays!

Mays is wonderfully not airbrushed at all. In fact, except for a couple guys in the high numbers, Felix Millan and that interesting Phil Hennigan, the Mets are pretty consistent, with many of the players in pinstripes.
 
That is unusual for '73 Topps and that brings me to the topic of my other Beckett article.
 
Yes I'm doing a story on the 1973 Topps set.
 
And I need your help. If you like the '73 set, maybe even collected it at the time, I want to talk to you for the story. You will be quoted.
 
If that appeals to you, send me an email or reach out on Twitter. I'm probably looking for 2 or 3 knowledgeable folks who I can shoot the shit with about '73 Topps!

Comments

Felix Millan and George Stone's pinstripes are Atlanta Braves pinstripes, as they were acquired in November 1972 for Gary Gentry and Danny Frisella. Would it be giving Topps too much credit to wonder if they chose those somewhat dated photos intentionally to mimic the Mets home unis?

It's easy for me to spend other people's money, but would it be worth dropping the $10-15 for a low-end USB keyboard as a temporary work-around?
carlsonjok said…
I love 1973, mainly for the colors on the back. They are so awful that they are wonderful, if that makes any sense. Having said that though, I have always hated that Willie Mays card. It's the last card of his playing career and, to me anyways, it conveys a weariness unbefitting a player of his stature.
Brett Alan said…
That cartoon from the Bud Harrelson card is on like 50 different cards in last year's Heritage.
Old Cards said…
Really like the 73 set. Got a bunch of them. Should complete it. Nice writeup on the Mets team!
gcrl said…
the photos used on the met cards can largely be timed due to gil hodges' death and the absence/presence of the black armband the team wore in his honor.

as for your article, i wasn't old enough to collect in '73, but i am hopeful that you might mention that the assumption that it is johnny bench on jim fregosi's card is quite likely incorrect.

my thoughts on the matter: http://cardsasiseethem.blogspot.com/2020/12/that-is-not-who-we-thought-it-was-on.html
Fuji said…
Love the Fregosi! You've got me interested in Beckett Vintage Collector. Looking forward to reading the 73T article.
Kevin said…
Contact me for your 1973 article...year I was born and I have been trying to finish this set in perfect condition for years.
night owl said…
Kevin ~

Send me an email at nightlite77@yahoo.com with your contact info.
1984 Tigers said…
The 1973 set was actually the 1st one where I really tried to complete the set during the season. I turned 10 in July 1973 and helped my brother on his paper route so had some money to spend. I loved the set because the photos were very nice with a few in action pics included. The tigers had won the AL east in 1972 so enjoyed collecting the tigers in what was the last hurrah for the 68 champs.

The frank Howard high number as a tiger was one of my favorites as that guy usually killed tigers pitching but we got him at the end of his career.

My favorite subset was the all time greats. Card 1 was only an appetizer for the 4th series run that included Ty Cobb.

Didn't know that Rusty had boycotted the topps photographer until you mentioned it. Remember his 74 topps in action and also his 77 topps all star as a tiger. One of my favorite players.

Sent you an email in case you're looking for quotes or insight.

Paul t.
In 1973 I wasn't collecting anything. I did start collecting the Wacky Packages stickers in 1974. I am one card away from completing the 73' Set. #614, not the Schmidt, got that one. I should probably just go and get that last card and put a fork in it. Maybe I'll do that this weekend....online. Good luck with the keyboard. The following is for entertainment purposes only.

Just take your laptop (opened up) flip it upside down, and bang the keyboard side on the table. If it's already kaputz, what's there to lose. Might fix it, lol.
Bo said…
This is one of my favorite vintage sets. The offbeat photography in many cases is reminiscent of early '80s Fleer.
Jon said…
I hadn't heard of a USB keyboard before, but if they're as cheap as suggested above, that would seem like a pretty good option for you.