Skip to main content

Delaying the inevitable

 
 I wrote last month about how I am collecting three sets that are known for being difficult on collectors -- 1967, 1969 and 1970 Topps.

I'm not afraid of difficult sets. I completed '71 and '72 Topps. But the hobby has changed since I finished those sets and just the repeated effort tends to wear on you a little bit as you progress in the hobby. That's why I add little "enjoyment sets" to my completion quests. Stuff like this:


All of this 1985 Donruss came in a TCDB transaction with GoldenEagles555. I now have more than 100 cards from the set, which may not seem like much but I have gone more than three decades with having no more than 20 cards from the set, and my brain just started thinking that's the size of the set.

No rush on completing this one because it's needed to help balance the madness of '67, '69 and '70. I am "close" on all three of those sets in terms of cards that I've accumulated already -- but we all know that the difficult part is the relatively few cards in the high numbers.
 
Perhaps to snap me back into reality after all that easily acquired '85 Donruss, I received another card in the TCDB trade.
 

This was a low-number need from the 1967 set, totally unexpected from GoldenEagles. 



I also landed another 1967 need in a Twitter purchase from Doc's Card Sales. Always key to get a '60s card of a Hall of Famer.

But there are so, so many famed players left to get in the '67 set. I have no doubt I will get them all eventually. Still, I have some doubt about those high numbers, you know the real toughies -- Tom Seaver, Rod Carew and Brooks Robinson. I've often felt those are going to be impossible and there will be some point when I'm just staring down the final two cards forever.

I'm always avoiding those super pricey guys when I'm set collecting and I feel like I'm delaying the inevitable. So I looked up on ebay how much it might cost me to land those guys -- in the near future -- based on recently completed sales.

I scrapped the graded examples, because there's no need to overpay when I'm already paying a bunch.
 
This is what I came up for averages for the '67 examples:

Rod Carew: $317.32
Brooks Robinson: $215.97
Tom Seaver: $717.45

Pricey but not impossible -- the Seaver is the only that made me throw up my hands. It's also the one with the least available examples, because everyone is grading that thing.

Here is what I have for the one major 1970 card I need:

Nolan Ryan: $201.18

Too much, subjectively, but I can pay it if I need to.

How about a couple 1969 examples?

Reggie Jackson: $141.15
Nolan Ryan: $198.32


I also recently added a few 1969s as well, these from Twitter and @Tec872. Obviously, no Nolan or Reggie there.
 
But the little bit of research made me feel a little better, many of those cards that I've considered elusive do seem like I could acquire them. And if I got myself together, I could add one or two so that they are not the last ones on the list being held over my head.
 
I just sent a Beckett magazine article out a few days ago and I'll have another one wrapped up in a week. Some of the cash from that could go to a very worthy cause.
 
Obviously there are many other cards in those sets that will require some cash but I'm not quite as afraid of them (for instance, I looked up completed prices on the '67 Red Sox team card, and while it's tough to find in decent condition, that's not going to be a big priority for me, I have a feeling).
 
Research not only provides information, sometimes it calms fears, too.

Comments

Yeah,

I haven't worked on any of my vintage sets in several months now. Head hangs down....Must go look ahhh it is so easy to get distracted looking. I think I'll look for the last Donruss (Leaf actually) puzzle I need. YOGI here I come...
Old Cards said…
As much as I love the 60's cards, those infernal high numbers are maddening. Just lubricous prices. Good luck on your pursuit.
Jimetal7212 said…
I'm working 67 also, just seeing those numbers makes me want to throw up my hands as well. So disheartening especially when just 3 years ago it was so much less than that. I fear when it's time to get Reggie. I lucked out on the 70 Ryan, got it before the pandemic.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

I'm about 20 cards from filling the 67 topps set. Overall condition is probably ex+ to exmt. Haven't looked lately, but the Seaver was always available at a price. The red Sox team card find in ex or better could make you feel like indiana Jones searching for the ark of the covenant. I never saw that card at shows in the late 80s or entire 90s. Same with Colavito. Was lucky to find a high number Norm Cash at a show in the early 90s.

Beautiful set. Took me a while to find that gorgeous semi Hi Braves team card.

Paul t
1984 Tigers said…
If you're looking for a "full" 69 set complete with the variations, then good luck. I got the name and pose variations easily like Ellie R, Clay Dalrymple, etc. The white lettering in the Mantle series are a royal pain and expensive when you can find them.

Recommend saving your money and spending it on 70 highs like Pilots team, rick reichardt (last card of set). Those are not easy finds in exmt or better.
Fuji said…
I wanted that 69T Reggie for my A's collection for decades... and pretty much accepted the fact that I'd never own it because of the price tags typically placed on it. I eventually traded for it though. Funny how trading rarely pops up in my hobby vocabulary.
night owl said…
@1984 Tigers ~

I have the Pilots team card and Reichart already. If I choose to go elsewhere in the high numbers, it'll be Santo or Banks or someone like that.
Zach said…
While not collecting the entire 1967 set myself, I had a handful of Indians players in the high-numbers that I needed and I only recently purchased the last one (#580 Colavito) earlier this year. Now I only need to finish the 1952 set (where I am also needing the high-numbers) to complete my entire run of Topps Indians cards. I hope you will one day be able to complete your sets, good luck!
Anonymous said…
I have the '67 Niekro. Got a horizontal crease across the middle so bad it almost bends over on its own. And I don't care.
AdamE said…
I've bought plenty of low grade cards and cracked them. Most of my BIG purchases like 48 Leaf Williams, T205 Speaker, etc were all graded when I bought them. Lots of times you get lucky and find something with a low grade because of the back of the card. To me paper-loss or writing on the back doesn't bother me if it saves me $50-100 or more.
Nick said…
Not sure if I just got lucky or something, but I bought a '69 Reggie with a hole punch in one of the corners on Ebay for $20 a few years ago. Hope that's a sign that an affordable copy might fall out of the sky for you one of these days.

The '67 Brooks Robinson scares me. I've always wanted one in my collection but even beat-up copies are waaaaaay out of my range.
Chris said…
Not that I collect vintage sets ('56 is about all I can handle) but if I did, I'd refer to 1967 Topps as "the beast" - because it's ugly and scary and impossible to conquer. I applaud anyone who even makes a half-hearted attempt at it.
Jon said…
I hadn't really noticed it until this year, but it's amazing to see how much extra people are paying on eBay for pretty much any vintage that looks like it might grade high. In fact it's been so bad for some the stuff I'm interested in, that I've basically just stopped looking altogether.
1984 Tigers said…
Loved the 85D when it came out in early 85. Was a college junior coming off an internship and had some dough to buy all three brands. That set had a stand alone Shawon Dunston and Danny Tartabull cards that sold for a premium that year. Also strange run of all superstar cards after the rookie stars. Fleer had its rookie cards for the 1st time but had two players per card. 85D missed Glenn Davis that 85F has along with Kelly Gruber who were big cards in the late 80s shows.

A fair amount were somewhat off centered which I think they fixed by the next season. 84D also had off-center guys like Joe Carter.

I remember card stores selling those packs above retail price, same at shows. Don't remember them at all in drug stores that year. Same with 84D.

Dr. Ks rookie card was outrageously priced, especially the 85D.

Paul t
John Collins said…
I’m working on ‘67 Topps (at a glacially slow pace) as well. I’m only a little more than 100 cards in, but did manage to start with a good many of the stars and HOF’ers - figuring that they would hold my interest as I slogged through the commons later. I managed to do most of this before the pandemic, so got some things - even though they seemed expensive at the time - at a bit of a bargain compared to what they go for now. I need to settle in and work on the low number commons, but will admit I haven’t had much interest of late. I keep getting distracted by Ohtani and other modern things. The worst part of ‘67 will no doubt be the single print high numbers that go for big bucks regardless of the player, and seemingly regardless of condition. $100+ for Mike Shannon in bad shape? I’m going to have to hold my nose for that one.