Skip to main content

Nostalgia doesn't come in a standard size

 
By 1983, I had adjusted to the growing number of card products on the market.
 
That total seems laughable now, but just two years prior there had been just one brand and suddenly I had discovered two selling rivals to Topps in Donruss and Fleer, and somehow I had to collect all three.
 
Gradually, and even before 1981, those companies were putting other card-type things on store shelves. I found most of them for sale in a deli, which was on the way to the drug store where I bought most of my cards. I don't know what caused us to go into that deli, maybe someone told me, "hey, they sell cards!"
 
I know the first time I bought cards in that deli was 1980 because that's when Topps issued the large, glossy Superstar Photos, which I ate right up. 

The increased competition created more card product in the deli and I bought Fleer sticker packs there, 1981 and 1982 Topps stickers (and the sticker book), the 1983 Fleer Stamps and the 1983 Donruss Action All-Stars. I had finally realized I couldn't complete everything, which had been the M.O. previously, but I still attempted to buy everything available ... thank goodness I don't still do that now.
 
So anyway, I've got a couple of packs of the 1983 Donruss Action All-Stars. I received them from Jim, who just sent me that nifty Ron Cey drinking cup.
 
I'll open one here and the other one over at A Pack To Be Named Later -- at some point.
 
Here is the first pack:
 

8 - Jason Thompson, Pirates
 
I remember liking these right away. I wasn't big on Donruss at all at the time and I was impressed they had something like this in them. It is reminiscent of 1956 Topps and I liked that what I had known only as "boring postcard size" could produce something this attractive and informative (I'll show the back in a bit).
 
 

2 - Dwight Evans, Red Sox
 
Thank goodness, he won't be the last card I need if I ever decide to complete this set. He almost always is in the final 10.
 
 

56 - Robin Yount

This is already quite the pack. I love the players from this time period.
 


34, 35, 36 - Mickey Mantle puzzle pieces

Oh boy, these things. The packaging lists the puzzles first, like this is the reason collectors are buying these. I can't stress how lame I thought the puzzle pieces were in Donruss. I had company among my friends, too.



22 - Rickey Henderson, Athletics

Every time I pull a player like Henderson or Nolan Ryan or one of the big targets of player collectors, I breath a sigh of relief, even if I have no concrete plans to finish the set. One pain-in-the-ass card out of the way.
 


16 - Hal McRae, Royals

Ever since pulling McRae's '75 Topps card in one of the first three packs I ever bought, I've loved pulling his cards. It's amazing I can still do that 48 years later. 
 
 

40 -  Buddy Bell, Rangers

Bell makes me think of the Johnny Wockenfuss story I wrote and the home plate collision between Wockenfuss and Bell. I suppose I'll always think of that now.

That's the end of the pack but I promised to show the back.


Look at that attention to detail! That puts anything Panini has ever done to shame. That's how thorough card backs were when I was going to school. It's why our test scores were better.
 
I really like these and I'm super-happy I have pages to fit them. These are the only versions of the Action All-Stars that I bought. I moved on to college in late '83 and had no time for extras like that, besides what was with making them vertical?

OK, that's it for now. Check over At A Pack To Be Named Later in the next week or so for the other one.

Comments

I have most of those things hanging around here (actually stacked in a corner on a bookshelf). One of these days I'll put them in a binder with all of the other oversized cards. I never opened any of these and I am very curious about that puzzle, are they also JUMBO?
John Bateman said…
I think these are the First and only (besides future Donruss action All-Stars) set to include putouts, assist, errors and fielding average on the back of the cards.
Crocodile said…
Pretty sure I have this set and others like it. I was never a fan of oversized cards because they're a pain to store.
Old Cards said…
Nice looking, but like Crocodile, I never cared much for oversized cards.
night owl said…
If you get the right-sized pages then all your concerns about oversized cards will be over. Trust me, I had the same issues, don't anymore.
Doc Samson said…
“Big” cards always intrigued me. As did minis — especially Fleer’s run of minis in the 1980’s. Those cards had some really weird photography and cropping that gave them some undeniable charm, like a mangy mutt with sad eyes.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I actually like the vertical ones better. Especially in 1985 when they do a 1956ish thing again. Definitely awesome that they used the extra back space to include even more stats.
These were exciting for me in 1983. I mean, the Topps design was a classic, and 1983 Fleer was a return to form after the mess of 1982. Flagship Donruss was fine, but they had rehashed the 1982 design, who wants to see that?

But 1983 Action All-Stars were different, attractive and big. If I didn't complete the set that year, it wasn't long after.
1984 Tigers said…
I had enough money from my summer job that I easily filled the 3 main sets that year and a 2nd topps set. That left me a bit of money to buy some packs of the one off sets. I bought some of these as well as regular sized donruss that had all time greats. Don't think I kept any after the season but worth reading the backs.
Anonymous said…
Fond memories of those big-arse Donruss cards. My friend showed them to me and I was fascinated. Completed maybe half the '83 set and all of '84. Don't recall what I did with them.
bryan was here said…
Remember finding these at a Phar-Mor store back in the summer of '83. Had a cardboard dump bin full of these. I think they were 50c a pack, I think i bought like four or five packs at a time whenever we went there. I don't recall them carrying the '84s but they did have a metric ton of '85s. Got pretty close to a set both those years but I think I only had one '84 and that was Bert Blyleven. Thought the '84s were the best looking of the bunch.
Fuji said…
If you decide to build this set... I can probably help you out (just email me your wantlist). I have a stack of these and the 1984 versions laying around. As you know... I don't have much to add to care packages these days, because I get rid of most of my clutter. But I have a hard time donating, selling, or giving students any oddball issues from any era.
Jafronius said…
That is indeed an awesome card back!