Skip to main content

The name of the game is completion

 
I joined this hobby, was sucked into it, in the mid-1970s. Not too long into my time in the club, maybe a couple of years, I caught on to the one primary goal of card collecting.
 
The name of the game was completion, set completion.
 
That's changed in the nearly 50 years since. Sure, there are still set collectors, but we're a much smaller percentage of the entire collecting scene, unlike when I was a kid, when it was just about 100 percent.
 
Still, I can't get that goal from the '70s out of my blood. It's there forever. It is THE reason why I collect -- to complete the mission, to finish the set, whether it's a team set or a set set. This is what makes sense to me in the hobby, and no matter how much I try, I still can't fully grasp what the heck other collectors are doing if they're not trying to finish sets. What does it even mean?

So, my second Sportlots order of the year arrived recently, the last cards showed up today. Without even thinking about it when I was ordering, just about all of the cards had to do with attempting to complete some set or another -- the quest I've been on since approximately 1976. (I'd say 1975 was me just buying the cards because I liked them with no real sense of what I was doing).

There were a lot of Dodgers, trying to finish some team sets, and there were a few other cards to try to get larger sets finished. And I did finally complete one of those larger sets.


These were among the final cards that I needed to wrap up 1985 Fleer. Three of these I'm sure you can understand why they were among the last. But Mike Brown?
 
 

This was the final card to finish the set. It arrived today. I am not surprised it was the final one. I had to put it into my cart four times because it kept getting swiped.
 
I know I could have avoided that by finding a cheapish complete set to purchase, but, again, that's not the model I was taught when I first started in the hobby. I'll do it for sets that are smaller or dirt cheap but not for something I enjoy building. 1985 Fleer is probably my third-favorite Fleer set from the '80s, so I chose the longer way.
 
With '85 Fleer done, the only Fleer flagship sets from the '80s I need to finish are 1986, which is fairly close to done, and 1987, which I haven't even thought about.
 
The other cards from this order that were related to flagship-set chasing rather than team-set chasing are four cards from the 1969 Topps chase. See if you can see what they have in common:
 

Yeah, four Red Sox. That wasn't even planned. All I did was pick out four cards that I sort of remember seeing in the past (there are still cards I need that I originally had back in the day when I thought I wasn't trying to complete '69 Topps).

So all the Red Sox from the set are mine except for the pesky high-number Reggie Smith card. That's good progress.

Now let's get to the Dodgers team sets since, outside of the '85 Fleer cards, was the primary mission this time.


Really random stuff, like why would I even think about what I need from 2007 Bowman Chrome? I must've realized I still needed these two at some point late at night, jolted out of bed screaming "2007 Bowman Chrome! Where Is Kent and Ethier????" Now the team set is complete.


More shiny. These three cards finish the 2021 Chrome Platinum Anniversary team set. I still really like this thing and part of my brain still wants to chase pretty parallels. But it's going to have to be happy with the team set finished for a spell. Maybe seeing them all together will calm it down.


That's a Major team set. 32 cards! A lot of other team collectors can relate with this set. Then there are the Rockies. Just 14 cards.



Each of these cards completed a team set for me, or at least completed the non-short-printed portion of the set. In the case of 2015 Gypsy Queen and 2017 Gallery there are still SPs in the team set. I have never liked either set so who knows when I will find the drive to chase down those SPs.
 


Neither of these finished a team set but got me very close. I need just the Hideo Nomo card to wrap up the 2003 Chrome team set, and I need two more cards to finish 2003 Upper Deck Vintage, which is lucky I even latched onto that set for completion -- there are so many sets from that time I have no idea what I still need.
 


Speaking of a team set that is Almost-But-Not-Quite-Yet-Complete, there is the matter of 1963 Topps. 

For a long time I thought I was done with the team set here, except for the semi-impossible to impossible Rookie Stars cards, of which there are FIVE for the Dodgers. But I totally glazed over what I need from the league leaders cards.

I had some of them already but not the key Strikeout Leaders card, which is now mine. I still need card No. 1, the Batting Leaders card, which contains the Tommy Davis floating head, as well as the floating heads of someones named Musial, Aaron and Frank Robinson.

So this'll do for now.

There was just one card from this lot that didn't really have to do with any completion, it's related to the closest I get to player-collecting.


I like to pick up Kershaw cards at random when I can, mostly because he's been my favorite player for a long time, but also I guess to keep up with the major Kershaw collectors, who have scads more than me, two of whom I'm well-acquainted.

But that is way down on the priority list as there are still so many more sets to complete ... including the 2001 Topps UK team set.

In fact I've just established a new major set chase, which you'll see in a couple more posts. That one is probably doable but also kind of ridiculous.

But nobody called set-chasers normal. That's probably why there are so few of us now.

Comments

Nick said…
I'll admit I'm on the other end of the spectrum - set collecting has always struck me as a bit odd. Probably has something to do with how scattered of a collector I am - I tip my cap to people like you who have the patience for it. It's always interesting to see what the last card(s) people need to complete a set is - I can understand Darryl Strawberry, but...Mike Brown?
Old Cards said…
I would very much like to complete the 1963 set, but the Rose rookie card keeps me from pursuing it. I have a lot of the set, but I don't want to invest in those big dollar high number non-stars to only say I have a complete set minus 1.
kcjays said…
I really liked the 2021 Topps Chrome Platinum Anniversary set. And I also have to keep telling myself that I don’t need any of the parallels.
Only 16 Royals cards and the only “alumni” card was (of course) George Brett. I realize the Royals haven’t been playing well for several years, but we have had a fair number of Hall of Very Good players, Damon, Beltran, Dye, Sweeney and my favorite, Dan Quisenberry. I’m hoping that IF Topps does a 2022 set, (in 2023) that they will include former players besides Brett & maybe Bo.
Congrats on the several team set completions!
night owl said…
I heard there is a Chrome Platinum Anniversary set coming this year. I don't know if I'll be as interested in that one.
Fuji said…
Congratulations on completing the 85F set... and kudos to you for sticking to the model you were taught. I still build sets, but whenever I'm able to cheat... I'll buy an already complete set to save both time and money.

There are exceptions to this rule though. I'm building the 1986 Donruss set, but it's been a very slow process (because I'm hoping I'll come across some commons in a nickel box).

P.S. I'm a big fan of the 1985 Fleer design too. It's my favorite Fleer design of the 80's.
Zippy Zappy said…
"Then there are the Rockies. Just 14 cards."
Who the heck wants 14 Rockies.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Congrats on 1985F I finally started that in earnest by picking up a lot of ~550.

And it might be worth doublechecking that UK checklist. I known that for the Giants it was the only set where Kris Bryant showed up as a Giant on the Flagship design (I do not count Holiday as the Flagship design).
1984 Tigers said…
The four player 85 fleer all star card is very nice and one of the things I liked about fleer, combining players in those settings like topps did in the 50s and 60s.

At the time, when I pulled that one out of packs, I figured three of the four were sure fire HOF and only Ozzie needed to add more to his resume. Strawberry sadly got off track off the field but I agree with others that Garvey should be in the HOF.

Nice photo too, taken at the 1984 AS game in SF when tigers had multiple starters voted in. Including Chet Lemon and Lou Whitaker.

I love the 85 fleer, only surpassed IMHO by 87 fleer.

Paul t
bbcardz said…
Agree 100% with everything you write about set collectors. For some reason, we just love a challenge.
Benjamin said…
100% completely agree with you on all counts. I too am a set collector. Have been since 1991 when I started working on 91 Topps and 91 Pro Set football as a youth. Now at (almost) 40, my goals haven't changed; it just doesn't count unless it's a full set.

A set tells a story of that season; highs and lows, stars and regular guys, rookies who didn't pan out and some who did, team cards, etc. I love it and always will, even if at times it presents challenges when investors jack up the prices of rookie cards. In some ways, it's like putting a puzzle together, and I love those too.

Congrats on finishing Fleer 85!
Doc Samson said…
Congrats on the 1985 Fleer set, Mr. Owl! For what it’s worth, 1985 F looks good in a binder because the team colors really pop. If I remember correctly, that set was available as a factory set, but only in a plain white box with zero branding from Fleer. The card shop I used to frequent displayed them behind their cash register. I could be wrong, it was so long ago.
Matt said…
Our generation lived the golden age of set collecting as kids - no high numbers to chase, collation was good enough where a single box would get you at least 90% of the set, card shops were everywhere - it was so much easier back then.
Chris Johnson said…
I wish I would have known about your 85 Flwer needs. I had all the ones you needed to complete the set. I could have sent them with the 88 Donruss. Glad you completed it though.
Michael D said…
We are definitely from the same era. I have a really hard time collecting something that I can't complete the set. I think that I'm still figuring it out.
Jon said…
Happy completed set!
Jafronius said…
Congrats on the completed set! I too consider myself to be a set collector, even though I have to money, time, or patience to follow through. Maybe I'm a set collector because I don't want to be considered a player collectior?