Skip to main content

One more time for The Infield

 
The Dodgers recognized "The Infield" on Friday on the 50th anniversary of Ron Cey, Steve Garvey, Dave Lopes and Bill Russell first playing together.

It seems like they just did that the other day, but I guess 10 more years have gone by since, and, wow, was that fast.

That Dodgers infield set the major league record for most consecutive years together and they did it all during my first years of following baseball and the team, from 1973 to the end of the 1981 World Series.

I thought I'd take the occasion to look through my cards of each of those players and pick out a few notables for each.

Here we go:
 
 

RON CEY

Total number of cards in my collection: 178
Rank in my collection: 30th
Number of autographed cards: 25
 

Rookie card: 1972 Topps (AL-NL Rookie Stars)
Favorite card: 1975 Topps
Most difficult to land: 1979 Hostess
Most painful card: 1983 Topps Traded
 
As you could guess, it was tough to choose from my Cey collection, which is easily the most varied of the four.
 
I could have named the rookie prospects card that Cey shares with Mike Schmidt as the most difficult, but actually that wasn't nearly as hard as getting that short-printed Hostess. I do, however, still need a second Cey-Schmidt card for the team collection. "Most painful card" could have been that '75 World Series card in which Joe Rudi is circling the bases next to Cey in Game 5, but that's barely a Cey card.



Best retro card: 2017 Topps Archives autograph (peach parallel)
Most annoying card: 2013 Panini Hometown Heroes Nicknames insert
Strangest card: 2014 Goodwin Champions
Oddest card: 1982 Nike Penguin Power

Still couldn't be more annoyed with Panini designating that Penguin card to "Chicago." I have a hunch that the Cey Goodwin photo came from the same photo session as the Nike poster card, which is actually a 5-by-7 card.
 
 
 
STEVE GARVEY

Total number of cards in my collection: 207
Rank in my collection: 26th
Number of autographed cards: 5


Rookie card: 1971 Topps
Favorite card: 1974 Topps
Most difficult to land: 1999 Fleer Sports Illustrated, Greats of the Game
Most painful card: 1983 Topps Traded

The favorite-card category is almost a toss-up between '74 Topps and '75 and '76 Topps. I love all three so much. The "most difficult to land" card is pretty much whatever retro Garvey card I've picked up most recently. Because it's usually a hassle trying to track down any retro Garvey card (I expect it to happen with his Heritage insert this year).



Best retro card: 1999 Fleer Sports Illustrated Greats Of The Game Covers
Most annoying card: 2004 SP Legendary Cuts, Historic Swatches
Oddest card: 1982-93 Louisville Slugger
Strangest card: 1986 Fleer mini

The Fleer SI cover cards of SI's from the late '70s/early '80s are pretty much the greatest cards of the '90s. Moving in the complete opposite direction, putting a Padres uniform relic with a photo of Garvey playing for the Dodgers is one of those endearing stunts Upper Deck played all the time.

The Fleer mini card amuses me to no end. That set is full of weird stuff.
 


DAVE LOPES

Total number of cards in my collection: 93
Rank in my collection: 87th
Number of autographed cards: 1


Rookie card: 1973 Topps Rookie Second Basemen
Favorite card: 1976 Topps Record Breakers
Most difficult to land: 2013 Topps Archives
Most painful card: 1982 Topps Traded

I've lauded the '76 Record Breaker card before a couple of times. I love that card front-to-back. The 2013 Archives card wasn't that tough, but it is a short-print. There just aren't a lot of people clamoring for Lopes cards.

Lopes was the first of The Infield to leave the Dodgers, so the '82 Traded card was especially weird.



Best retro card: 2004 Topps Retired Signatures
Most annoying card: 1984 Topps AL Active Stolen Base Leaders
Strangest card: 2004 Upper Deck Timeless Teams, 1977
Oddest card: 1980 Burger King
 
I probably should have selected the Retired Signatures Chrome autograph as the best retro card but somebody's got to give base cards some love. As for the Strangest Card, the photo used is at least four years prior to 1977.
 
The AL Active Stolen Base Leaders rubs me wrong because 1) He's sharing space with two Yankees; 2) He's in an A's uniform; 3) He got most of those stolen bases with a National League team!
 
 
 
BILL RUSSELL
 
Total number of cards in my collection: 78
Rank in my collection: 135th
Total number of autographs: 4


Rookie card: 1970 Topps
Favorite card: 1977 Topps
Toughest card to land: 1972 Topps
Most painful card: 1989 Smokey Bear

Russell's 1972 card is in the high-high numbers, so good enough for a player who doesn't have a lot of cards comparably. The photo chosen for the Smokey Bear card -- or rather how close up it is -- is not enjoyable to me.

As far as the other categories, for Russell it's difficult because there's not a lot of variety for him.

The strangest card is probably the one on the right:
 

Russell showed up as a player in 1987 Topps. Then later the same year, he showed up as a member of the coaching staff in the Mothers Cookies set.
 
The oddest card isn't really a card (but it's listed in TCDB):
 

TCDB tells me this is a Danny Goodman photo released as part of a picture pack in 1976. That photo can't be any later than 1970.
 
So, that's my tribute to the Infield on the 50th anniversary of its debut. This could be the last time for all four of them together, they're all in their 70s now. So I'll hold out hope for one last hurrah for the infield that has brought me more joy than any other. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
A new post is up on the 1993 Upper Deck blog!

Comments

bbcardz said…
Outstanding cards/post/bobblehead figure! I was lucky enough to catch a few Dodger games featuring this infield back in my younger days. And just last year I saw Garvey, Russell and Cey interacting with fans at the 2022 MLB All-Star Experience at the Los Angeles Convention Center (the 2022 All-Star game was at Dodger Stadium). Got pictures of them of them there too!
Who'd they play for again?
I can believe that about the 1972 Bill Russell card.

1972 was the last year I bought cards pack-by-pack (as a yout), and by the end of that season I had every card EXCEPT Russell's. (I found it at a card store in the 1980s.)
Old Cards said…
Nice cards. I remember this infield too well. Garvey was my favorite of the bunch. Pulled hard for them in 77 and 78 to no avail. Didn't realize until I just looked it up that they only won 1 WS together and it was the tainted split season. Anyway, great subject.
John Bateman said…
Still hard to believe why Garvey is not in the HOF -

Scott Rolen, Harold Baines, Roy Hallady, Alan Trammell, Mark Mussina have made it in the last 5 years none were as great as Garvey.

He was one of the 5-6 best players between 1974-1981. He was baseball during that period of time. Played in WS, won an MVP, then had decent back half of his career in the 1980s. Geez, he helped the Padres make the World Series (if you were living in the 70s and 80s, you knew how impossible that seemed).
1984 Tigers said…
As a tigers fan, decided to also root for an NL team and liked the Dodgers because they seemed to be having fun (never mind the Sutton and Garvey locker room incident). Amazing they developed that infield from within. The free agent signings for other positions weren't so good - Stanhouse, Goltz, etc. Monday was pretty good though not as strong as his earlier seasons with the Cubs.

I was at a 1982 As at Tigers game and remember it was weird seeing Lopes in an As uni along with Joe Rudi back after a 5 year run in Anaheim.

The 1987 coaching staff photo had a tragedy as I believe former Tigers Don McMahon died of a heart attack later that year during training before or between games.

Paul t
Doc Samson said…
Nice cards, Mr. Owl. I remember Davey Lopes played many games with the top few buttons on his jersey unbuttoned. Talk about a 1970’s Disco look!
gcrl said…
i celebrate the infield every day so it was fun to see them throwing out the first pitch (three-quarters of the infield, anyway) along with peter o'malley, steve yeager, rick monday, and dusty baker. seemed like old times!
Nick said…
I can definitely understand how the '82 Topps Traded Lopes is painful, but I've always loved that card. The A's helmet on the ground is a fun touch.

I'll admit I stumbled into a copy of that '79 Hostess Cey without knowing it was a tough SP. Glad you were eventually able to track one down!
Fuji said…
That 1984 Topps AL Active Stolen Base Leaders card is very interesting (but I could see why you find it annoying) for the reasons you pointed out. Not that this will make you feel any better, but Campaneris stole 504 of those 649 bases with the A's... and only 6 with the NYY. Yet he's pictured in pinstripes (now that's annoying). :D

Great post... highlighting a great infield.

P.S. That bobblehead is fantastic. I remember seeing it at one of the flea markets in Southern California and not grabbing it. I regret that.