Skip to main content

The 1975 Topps countdown, worst to best (No. 560-541)

 
I've gone on quite a bit about 2023 Heritage on here. There are lots of reasons why it excites me and has been, so far, the product of the year for me.

One side benefit is that upon watching a couple of box breaks of Heritage, I've seen the stamped buybacks pulled and that's reminded me that there will be some of those in 2024 Heritage and an opportunity to add to my 1975 Topps buyback collection!

I've recently pinned down a few '75 buybacks that I need to add. The problem is that a couple are a bit pricey and I am debating whether I want to pay that. But there will come a time when I have to get spendy to get certain cards, so maybe that time is here.

But before that, the time has arrived for another segment of the 1975 Topps worst to best countdown!

We're still running through some pretty standard (i.e. not exciting cards) and will be doing so for a few more sessions. So don't get too sleepy on me. It still takes time to rank these, scan them and count them down no matter how dull!

Let's go:
 


560. Pirates team (card 304)

The Pirates jerseys seem to fade into the seats in the background, they just don't stand out like the jerseys Pittsburgh would soon wear and make famous.



559. Balor Moore (card 592)

This is easily Balor Moore's least interesting Topps card, which seems a shame considering it's 1975 Topps.



558. Dick Bosman (card 354)

I remember pulling the mini card of Dick Bosman in '75. He looked like an angry dad to me. I didn't like angry dads.



557. Dave Roberts (card 301)

The second Dave Roberts card in the countdown and the more interesting one. So he's got that going for him.



556. Bill Butler (card 549)

When Billy Butler was a portly slugger for the Royals about 10 years ago I would mention there was a previous Bill Butler in the majors. Of course nobody remembered that. Maybe because of cards like this.
 


555. Rich Coggins (card 167)

Rich Coggins is getting extra points because of his smile, one of the largest in the set.



554. Marty Perez (card 499)

Marty Perez bounced around from one bad team to another in the '70s, but he did have the good sense to pose here in front of a spring training crowd.



553. Lew Krausse (card 603)

Look at those sideburns. Lew Krausse was 31 when this photo was taken. 31! He looks like he's 48 ... and just spent all day in the sun on a tractor in the corn field.



552. Dave LaRoche (card 258)

Obvious long hair was a thing in '75 Topps, probably the first set that really showed players growing their hair longer. LaRoche, though, needs at least a mustache, too, something he'd figure out on later cards.



551. Al Fitzmorris (card 24)

I really liked Fitzmorris' 1976 Topps card as a kid, which is why this one was a disappointment to me.
 



550. Royals team (card 72)

You really need the privilege of seeing these team cards magnified and on a backlit screen. In hand, this is fairly muddled and the guy in the back not facing the camera (is that Amos Otis?) is completely missed.
 
 

549. Bill Bonham (card 85)
 
This exercise is making me want to upgrade some cards. This one might be the most "worn" of the cards in my set. Things I notice when the card isn't that interesting.
 
 

548. Jim Fuller (card 594)
 
I don't know a lot about Jim Fuller other than he was very good minor league player. But that is a major league mustache.
 
 

547. Jim Todd (card 519)

I appreciate the classic, old-school wind-up pose but not a lot else to go on, and this card was not one of my favorites as a kid.



546. Cliff Johnson (card 143)

The color border matches Cliff Johnson's uniform, which I do give bonus points for.



545. Mike Cuellar (card 410)

I've always liked this profile shot but Cuellar's name is spelled wrong. Also it's not the first time that Topps misspelled his name on his card. They did it in 1959, too. Not good.



544. Lee Richard (card 653)

More spelling errors. Topps added an "s" on to his name on the front. But this card amused my brother and I as kids because of the one-line bio on the back that says: "Bee Bee" has great speed.



543. Steve Busby (card 120)

More errors! This is a big one as that photo is not Steve Busby but teammate Fran Healy. This is a big goof because Busby was throwing no-hitters left and right at the time, you'd think they'd have the player sized up. Maybe if Topps picked a better photo.



542. Rookie Pitchers (card 615)

Dennis Leonard was a solid pitcher in the late '70s and one of my favorites, but not a lot of people remember him anymore. I also remember Tom Underwood and Pat Darcy, but the masses would think this doesn't have much star power.



541. Bruce Bochte (card 392)

Not a bad card and Bruce Bochte adds the touch of signing his name with no capital letters, but I didn't like this card as a kid. That's a difficult thing to let go even after all these years.


And now another ranking is done. We still haven't gone through even 20 percent of the cards in the set yet!

But it sure does feel good to get this set ranked.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post Night Owl! Ever so slowly getting more interesting. I just noticed Marty Perez' jersey is airbrushed. The photo looks like it is from the same photo shoot as his '73 card. He's wearing the new hat but the old button down gray jersey. On the '75 card you can see they didn't airbrush out the top button.
Dave said…
Dick Bosman is forever judging you for smirking at his name.
Old Cards said…
Had not realized there were so many portrait shots.
bryan was here said…
I always liked how Bruce Bochte signed his name. I remember signing my name similarly in grade school.
carlsonjok said…
I'd think a writer would have appreciated Bochte's nod to e.e. cummmings.

That said, I had an interesting thought while reading this: Are there any cards in this countdown where their rank is the same as their card number? If I wasn't already deep in my cups, I might have tried to figure it out.
night owl said…
I've sort of been keeping track and haven't noticed any card number-ranking number match.
beefman said…
I love the Expos cards - all seem to have the Coca Cola logo in the background.
RunForeKelloggs said…
Every card looks great because we have great memories of actually stopping to check out the picture and read the back. I didn't remember all of the errors on the cards.
BillK21093 said…
Rich Coggins great smile was probably because he managed to finally catch a fly ball.

Great speed, decent bat, lousy fielder.

I saw him get picked off of first base in a spring training game in 3 straight at bats.

He walked and then would get picked off, it was like he was playing in a little league game where the pitcher could only throw to home plate.

In the same game, he managed to drop to fly balls in the outfield, not mis play, but drop the ball after it was in his glove.

Thanks heavens that Al Bumbry was around.
Bo said…
Never noticed Bochte's signature before. He was a free spirit, a nontraditional person, so it makes sense.
1984 Tigers said…
The Bosman photo would have been taken in Cleveland stadium in 1974 for its use in 75. I wonder if this photo was taken the day after the infamous 10 cent beer night and Dick was mad he didn't enough beer the night before when the game got forfeited before he could have a last round!

I always liked Leonard. He pitched a lot of complete games and helped the royals make the playoffs 4 times in 5 years, 1976 to 80. He finally got a ring as a reserve in 85 during the infamous Don Denkinger WS.

Paul t
Fuji said…
I cracked up when I read the age comment on Krausse. I feel like there were a lot of guys like Phil Niekro and Gaylord Perry who always looked way older than their true age.

In 1975... Cliff Johnson was only 28 (so he might have only been 27 when his 75T card photo was taken), but he looks way older than that.
John Bateman said…
I thought Krause was a coach.

Pretty sure I never pulled a Cuellar or Bochte from a pack in 1975. Got them 10 years later when I bought a complete set.
Michael D said…
I love your countdown. I'm not sure it's something I could do. I wouldn't have the patience for it and there would be too much thought between cards near the bottom of the set. I do like how you are pointing out the errors and the signatures. Never noticed bruce bochte before.
kcjays said…
The “original” Bill Butler also played for the Royals.
Pretty sure that is Amos Otis on the team card with his head turned.