Skip to main content

'88 is great

 
I mentioned when I completed the 1988 Donruss set that it marked the first time I had completed four major sets from a given year.
 
I don't see that happening for me ever again. After the '80s, it's difficult for me to find multiple sets I was interested in enough to try to complete them. For example, I've completed 1993 Upper Deck, I wouldn't bother throwing money at any other '93 set outside of a token Topps complete-set buy. (I'd take a gift of a complete '93 Stadium Club or Pinnacle set but I'm not buying them).
 
So '88 is a milestone, a one-of-a-kind collecting feat. I like that it's '88. That's the year the Dodgers won the World Series; it's the year I graduated from college; it's the first full year of my wife and I going out. It's basically the last great year before adulthood stomped everything to hell.
 
To mark the feat, I thought I'd take 10 notable players from this time and compare their cards from that year, kind of like Wrigley Wax does with his Comparing the Brands series, but, you know, without the Cubs.
 
These are all notable players. I tried not to repeat teams and I also avoided the card darlings from that time, the Mark Graces, etc. These are players who were big deals on the field, not just on cards.
 
Let's compare and contrast:
 

ROGER CLEMENS

1. Topps, 2. Score, 3. Donruss, 4. Fleer

Topps time and again shows that it knows what a well-cropped photo is. Score isn't the best-cropped but illustrates the power of Clemens' wind-up. The Donruss photo took minimal effort all around. Fleer just looks kind of awkward, which is often what Fleer did best.



VINCE COLEMAN

1. Donruss, 2. Fleer, 3. Score, 4. Topps

I appreciate that Score got Coleman on the base paths, I just wished they zoomed in more on him, that would've been a fantastic shot. I don't have a problem with candid shots at all but Topps' photo just looks out-of-sync with Coleman's whole speed vibe.



DWIGHT GOODEN

1. Topps, 2. Fleer, 3. Donruss, 4. Score

Topps did a masterful job with the Mets cards in '88, one of the best color-coordinated team sets of the '70s and '80s. The Score could have been great but the angle and the crop makes it plain awkward.



TONY GWYNN

1. Topps, 2. Donruss, 3. Score, 4. Fleer

Not a great year for Gwynn cards. The Score photo is too dark and I don't think I've ever seen the '88 Fleer card shown on a blog, which is saying something considering how many Gwynn fans have been bloggers over the years.



BO JACKSON

1. Topps, 2. Score, 3. Donruss, 4. Fleer

I am one of those who believes Bo Jackson never made a bad card. The Topps card was voted the No. 1 card from the set on the original '88 Topps blog and I concur, it's phenomenal after all these years. Score and Donruss also do a great job with the color matching. Fleer is simply the odd-card out.



DON MATTINGLY

1. Fleer, 2. Topps, 3. Donruss, 4. Score

All action all the time with Mattingly this year. I like the anticipation on the Fleer shot. He's got the same look with the Topps card, but I've long thought the crop is too tight. Score is a bit too faceless, which is a problem with '88 Score sometimes.
 
 

MARK MCGWIRE

1. Topps, 2. Fleer, 3. Score, 4. Donruss

The man set a rookie home run record the previous year, I think Topps does the best job of reflecting that. Fleer and Score do fairly well. Donruss' shot might as well be some guy who had 38 at-bats in '87.



KIRBY PUCKETT

1. Donruss, 2. Score, 3. Topps, 4. Fleer

A lot of sameness here. Donruss and Score display the leg kick, which puts them over the Topps card, I also like how it appears on Donruss that Puckett is getting his leg out of the way of the Twins logo.



NOLAN RYAN

1. Donruss, 2. Topps, 3. Fleer, 4. Score
 
Ryan was nearing the end of his Astros days, which is a shame because I remember him mostly as an Astro or an Angel. The Donruss close-up works for me in this case. I enjoy the bank of lights on the Fleer shot (is that a night card?). Score just has too much air up top.



MIKE SCHMIDT
 
1. Fleer, 2. Topps, 3. Score, 4. Donruss

Mike Schmidt was not treated as well as he could have been by the card companies. None of these are great. I ranked Fleer number one just because it's interesting but I don't think Schmidt did anything wonderful there. Score is just too tight top and bottom. Topps is OK if I'm in the right mood.

OK, let's tally them up!

Topps - 18
Donruss - 26
Fleer - 29
Score - 30

Small sample size but I'm sure if I did this for 200 players, Topps would still be No. 1. 1988 will always be an underrated set, one of the best of the '80s.

So there you go, 1988 is in the books as far as cards, unless I want to chase Topps Big or Sportflics. There's always the 800 box sets issued that year, too.

But for now that's all you'll see from me from '88 for awhile.
 

Comments

Nick Vossbrink said…
As a kid for whom the late 80s/early 90s was the peak of my collecting I'm close to being able to do this for multiple seasons.
1988: Topps, Fleer, Score
1989: Topps, Score, 30 short on Donruss
1990: Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Upper Deck, Sportflics
1991: Topps, Donruss, Score, Upper Deck

Surprised me how poorly Score rates on this post but a large part of your grading is in the color matching (which frankly Score never does well in).
jacobmrley said…
Alas, those are not banks of lights on the Ryan card, they are reflections on empty seats so definitely not a night card.
night owl said…
@Nick Vossbrink ~

I'd say Score's issue with these 10 are its cropping and darkness of photos. Also as much as I like to trumpet '88 Score over '89 UD (They were FIRST), the sameness of every action photo kinda hurts it.
John Bateman said…
I have to disagree with you on a few of these.

In 1988 and 1989 I would have thought Topps was easily the best set - then a few years later I thought it was junk wax - then in 2008 I found the 88 Topps blog and it opened my eyes at how nice the set is.

However, I think Fleer is a close 2nd. Posting the pictures on your blog makes 88 Fleer really stand out with the crisp photos - compared to the other 3 sets which have blurry faces.

Clemens does look a little weird on his Fleer card but I would have had Topps number 4 (is it Clemens)

Coleman's Donruss would be a 4 too much dark shadow around his face. Look at the lady with the sunglasses on the Fleer card.

Gooden agree either Topps or Fleer

Too much shadow on Donruss and Score - but look at that clear photo of Gywnn on Fleer and that Brown warmup jacket - not sure if any other Padre cards has someone wearing this (maybe a Jack Clark)

Again too much shadow Donruss Score - Look at that Picture of BO plus the red white and blue feels like a 1976 tribute for Fleer.

Mattingly agree

The McGuire rookie cup just blows the other cards away.

Fleer Puckett is a strange one - I don't see the shadows on Donruss and Score - I think - I would probably agree on this one

The blurred background on Ryan Donruss is so distracting - Fleer makes Ryan look about 25 but it is Probably 2nd to Topps

Schmidt agree but I would tie Score and Donruss.

Great Post.
night owl said…
Can we both agree that this is a long-ass comment?
Old Cards said…
Great comparisons. I can't get past that capless shot of Schmidt. Just looks wrong!
Jimetal7212 said…
And with the swapping of the Fleer and Score cards for Clemens you get his pitching phases on cardboard. I get the cropping on Gooden's Score, it shows him snapping off a curve (I assume) and you don't see that too often on a card.
My favorite set out of those 4 would be hands down the Fleer.
Nick said…
I've had a post idea in my head for a while about guys who never seemed to get bad cards, and Bo Jackson was the first guy I thought of. You're spot on there - all Bos are Great Bos.

Never realized how average the '88 Gwynns are - really not anything special in there. The Fleer one is just awful.
I hated that Score set for a long time. Now it's my favorite of the four.
Brett Alan said…
I like headshots on cards more than you do. I picked the Donruss for Clemens and McGwire.

OTOH, you're very right about how much the poor cropping hurts the Score set. I still like the Coleman, but if it were cropped better it would be fantastic. Several of the other Score ones are just ruined by the cropping.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I do suspect that the last decade of Topps Flagship Derp action has sort of ruined the effect of 1988 Score and how amazing it was to see that kid of action on e very card
beefman said…
What a great year for cards! Time to add the Update/Traded/Best of sets now? :-Þ
Bo said…
When I was a kid I had a poster - probably came from one of those "beginner card collecting sets" - that had all of the stars of baseball at the time with one of their 1988 cards from Topps, Donruss, Fleer or Score. This post really took me back to that poster.

This was really the last year where Fleer had the most interesting, unusual photos, if not always technically good.

George Brett would be an interesting one if you do a sequel to this post. His '88 Fleer is an underrated classic.
Matt said…
1990 Score is the only set keeping me from a 3 year run of having complete sets for all four brands (1988-1990). That may have to get rectified...
1984 Tigers said…
I personally liked the 88 fleer set the most, especially getting Smoltz in the update set. Still remember seeing Mark Grace rookie card for over 10 bucks at a card show in 1990, after a breakout 1989 season. The topps set is indeed nice. The Al Leiter erro card was interesting. It showed a guy who never actually got into a game for the Yanks but was taken in spring training.

Paul t
Doc Samson said…
Thanks, Mr. Owl. It’s amazing how having all the cards companies placed so closed together helps you see all their strengths and weaknesses. I remember 1988 well when it came to collecting. Fleer and Donruss factory sets were everywhere. I mean, everywhere. Score was the new kid on the block, and collectors were quite interested.

1988 Topps has always been a strange beast. Initially dismissed because everyone was hungover from the buzz of 1987 Topps, it was since found a new legion of fans. I always liked it. I’m glad it didn’t mimic 1987 in any way except for the number of cards in the set. Its recent popularity reminds me of what happened to The Rolling Stones’ “Exile on Main St.”
Benjamin said…
See I respectfully disagree here; from a purely aesthetic vibe, 1988 was a lousy year for card designs. Score is the notable exception, and I've always appreciated it. But I just never liked the other three, and the fact that the are massively overexposed doesn't help. Funny you mention 1993; I would wager that was one of the best years of card designs of all time, when everyone stepped up their game (to keep up with Upper Deck) but before foil and insert madness, and long before parallels other than Topps Gold.

But I get why you are drawn to 88 for other, more personal reasons, so I can't fault you there.
night owl said…
Well ... there's that, but also, I would throw out almost all of my 1990s cards before I threw out one set from the 1980s.
Fuji said…
A. I didn't actually build them all... but I've got the 1983 Topps, Donruss, Fleer, and O-Pee-Chee sets. Not 100%, but I think I have the same four sets from 1985 as well.

B. 1988 is my least favorite year in regards to 80's set designs. My favorite 1988 design is Topps Big. The other designs are okay... but none stand out to me. I have started appreciating the 1988 Topps set more in recent years (kind of like the 1991 Fleer design).

C. Gooden's 88T card is my favorite from this 40. The 88TT Nolan Ryan is a close second.