Skip to main content

Less temperamental

 
So, after experiencing a personal crisis with my all-time favorite oddball a couple of months ago, I took some action.

I removed all of my Kellogg's 3D cards from 1970-78 from their top loaders and placed each of them inside a shoebox in stacks. This, I hope, will limit the cracking that I saw with some of my top-loadered Kellogg's cards.

I kept the 1979-83 Kellogg's cards in their top loaders and upright in the same box where the '70-78 Kellogg's cards used to live. I haven't experienced any of the '79-83 cards cracking so I think they're safe.

Meanwhile, my Dodgers Kellogg's cards, all of them from 1970-83, are still in top loaders in their own stack. That's playing with fire, after I experienced the issues with the other Kellogg's cards in top loaders. But only one of the Dodgers cards has cracked, it's the 1970 Bill Singer card above. Oof.

The point is, I now have my Kellogg's cards in four different places, a shoebox for 70-78, another box for 79-83, a stack for the Dodgers and a binder that includes the '83 set and a bunch of cracked cards that I hope to one day upgrade.

But that's not going to happen anytime soon because I'm at a complete loss with my Kellogg's cards. I don't know if I want to track down anymore if they're just going to crack and especially at the prices they've been going for the last year-plus.

This is crushing. As I said, it's my favorite oddball of all-time. I HATE that the ones I have are now in four different places, I don't know if there's a solution.

It's too much to think about, and probably will be for months, maybe the whole year, so I'm starting to pivot to my second-favorite oddball set from the '70s, one I've written about many times before and one that is a lot less temperamental than the Kellogg's cards.


Hostess cards may have staining issues and cutting issues but they don't stain or rip by themselves. You have some kind of control over the cards. They may not be as "high tech" as Kellogg's cards were thought to be, but they're just as fun and a little more traditional in appreciating the photo on the card.

My third TCDB trade involved me sending some extra '75 Topps cards I had for four '70s Hostess needs. One of the cards was this 1975 Ron Carew. You can tell it is in fantastic shape. All the cards I received  from arby16 were.


The other three cards are from the 1977 Hostess set. Supposedly I'm trying to complete that next, although actually I'll take anything I don't have from '75, '77, '78 or '79.

It's very nice to get the Pete Rose card out of the way for '77. I may enjoy '70s oddballs more than a lot of collectors but I still have this attitude when superstars get pricey in oddballs. Come on! They're oddballs!

So, as I found out with the 1976 Hostess set, there's a long way to go before I complete any of the other Hostess sets. One of Kellogg's cards' benefits is none of the sets are larger than around 60 cards. Hostess sets balloon well past 100 and you've got to deal with some SPs.

But taking my time is fine because I want to have '70s cards to collect until I can't collect no more. And maybe during that long process I'll figure out what to do with Kellogg's cards again.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Not much on collecting oddballs, but a good read.
Crocodile said…
At least whoever cut those Hostess cards knew how to use scissors.
bbcardz said…
Bill Singer! I remember hearing his no-hitter broadcast on the radio when I was a kid. Good times!
1984 Tigers said…
I pretty much missed out on the 75 and 76 hostess sets. Not sure why. But started working on the 77 set at the time. Have most of the cards from that one. The best thing for me for the 78 and 79 sets is that my friend across the street in Detroit suburbs had a mom who worked afternoon shift at hostess factory in Detroit and a step-dad who drove a truck on the early shift for wonder bread and hostess.

He was able to get a lot of the dinged boxes for the card sets for 78 and 79 where the cards themselves were in great shape box something else was wrong with the boxes that hostess put them in the trash pile. His mom or step-dad would bring them home. I have full nicely cut panels of 50x3 for both years. I rarely see the full panel sets offered on ebay. Someday these will go up for sale to help pay for family vacations to Disney and Vegas but for now will pull them out and enjoy for the present.

Sorry about the Kelloggs cards cracking. I once bought the 1970 full set in perfect condition around 1978 for about 10 bucks from a Mail order guy. Have but a few left but not cracked.

Paul t
Matt said…
I wonder if a dehumidifier would would help keep your Kellogg's cards from cracking? Just a thought with no evidence to back it up.
Bo said…
Cards in shoeboxes - the way they are supposed to be.

I'm actually starting a Hostess-related series on my blog soon. I've written the first one but haven't posted it yet, as I've been behind on posting about incoming cards. Soon though!
I put Hostess before Kellogg's already, Post too. I hate the cracking, but as far as I am aware only ones that were cracked when I got them are cracked now. It's about time to check that Kellogg's binder (because I can find it and get to it). I tend to believe cold weather induces some cracking more so than higher humidity). I know that typically if the card curls it will eventually crack.
AdamE said…
Why not put them in binders? If they curl in the pages those pages should adapt to the cards since they are not rigid. I know they are undersized and don't fit perfectly into pages but sets in binders are more appealing then in a box even if they don't match the pages. Plus the bigger pocket will give them more room to curl if they need to.
night owl said…
I have had Kellogg's crack in binders. I suspected it was the page turning, although I have nothing to support that. More likely the cards just crack because they damn well feel like it.
Wendell! said…
Yikes! I feels your frustration on the Kellogg’s cards as I ran into the same issue with my own collection. Everything started out mint. I started out grabbing these lenticular beauties at card shows in Texas in the early 1980s. I don’t remember seeing Kellogg’s or much of the hostess cards at shows in the 1970s except for Ozzie Smith and I believe Robin Yount. Well, I did get the 1970 Pete Rose as a kid and I loved that card. I went to show my buddy Starro my favorite Rose card in 1993 and it was split down the middle. I was super upset and I went to a regional show to meet Pete Rose and just before that I had bought a mint copy out of an ad in Tuff Stuff. Well, the day finally arrives and I meet Pete! I walk up to him and I put the Kellogg’s card on the table for him to sign.

“Mr. Rose. You’re the greatest -“

*points greasy finger from fried chicken on card. I can hear his nail scrape it* “The hell is this, kid?”

“Umm” I panicked.

“Who the hell eats corn flakes? Well?”

Thankfully Tony Perez was sitting nearby and he clapped his hands and he shouts “Peter! Peter! You shut up! That kids doesn’t know you’re a fool!” Perez then winks at me and says “We’ll, Peter. Now he do.”

Big Red Machine!
Chris said…
Ugh, such a shame when cards slowly self-destruct like this. I'd be at a loss over how to store them/whether or not to keep collecting them, too.

The only thing even slightly comparable in my collection was mid-'90s Finest sets. I loved those as a teen, couldn't afford them, and bought a box as a young adult. It wasn't until after I completed a couple sets that I learned the cards turn yellow/green :(
Jon said…
I wonder if any of the graded ones have cracked in those slabs after being graded. Seems like that could be a real problem for those collectors.