Skip to main content

Generous folks

 
I buy cards a lot.

That's how most of the cards arrive in my collection. It's the best way to build a card collection, as painful as it can be for the wallet. I buy from dealers at card shows, from various well-known online sites and periodically from individual sellers on Twitter.

There are a lot of people selling cards now. A LOT. It's grown, and is still growing. There are folks on Twitter who sell nonstop. I sometimes have to mute them because I can't take the relentless shilling, even if they're not annoying about it. Then I've noticed that people who used to just tweet regular stuff, their tweets started being all about selling stuff, and, well ... you only have so much cash. And patience.

I won't turn my Twitter account into that. I won't sell stuff on here either. Not that a blog is an effective -- or even appropriate -- place to sell cards.

The blog world, to me, still is where generosity reigns. It's not as apparent as it once was. I mean the Tribe Cards blog hasn't been active for a long time. But there are still generous people blogging and reading blogs, who will just send cards, for free.
 

 I received an email a couple of days after Ron Cey's birthday last month. "Happy Cey Day!" it said. "What's your address?"

A few days later this super custom made by Gio (@wthballs) arrived in an envelope. It came from a TCDB member, BucCollector.


This card was made so that Cey could have his own 1972 card instead of sharing with two other guys like '72 Topps made him do. A Cey card minus his mustache is a pretty rare thing (although retro cards from 20 years ago managed to unearth those photos).


BucCollector also sent this Gio card, which I have already, so this is up for grabs if anyone wants it.



Johnny has been showing off his generosity for months, running almost daily giveaways. I've won a few times but often forget to comment -- which is how you enter. I remembered this time though!

Johnny guessed I had all these -- he's correct -- but hoped there'd be an upgrade in here. He's correct there, too.


No, not this one. But this '62 Drysdale is fantastic. Miscut and the photo registration completely shot (along with worn corners and creases). I will not hesitate to add another '60s Drysdale card to my collection.

The upgrade in the lot is actually the 1977 Topps Tommy John. I really needed a less-worn copy for the Dodgers collection (nobody needs to know how many '77 Don Suttons I have).

I will also enjoy adding another version of the first card I ever pulled -- the '74 Tommy John -- to my collection.
 


Finally, this card came from TwinKiller, who runs the blog Turning Two. (If you're not clued in that he's a Twins fan from visiting the link, reading his handle and seeing the card he sent me, I can't help you).

He reached out with this need for my 1969 Topps set to spare and it's a nice copy and I especially appreciate that he sent it. It's a great card. Tony Oliva still gets no love even with his Hall nod.

Speaking of the '69 set, I just made a large purchase to add to my '69 set. I'll be super happy to get them, but anytime I buy like that I wonder if I should have used that for something else, that's always in the back of my mind in this hobby.

That's one of the big reasons why I'm glad I found this blog community and online traders. They aren't looking for your money, they're just looking for your cards, or even just looking to give you cards.

That's generosity that's harder and harder to find. Unless you run a card blog.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Topps had a history of the double photo effect like your 1962 Drysdale. I think they mostly fixed the problem by the mid 1970s. At a hotel in Detroit area, experiencing an epic early March blizzard with fantastic thundersnow on a Friday night. Life is good. Reading this blog is fun, seeing one of my best friends for lunch Saturday and seeing oldest daughter and son in law for dinner Sunday. When the wife and youngest gal crash tonight, will scan my 1975 topps box for potential double photos. Main issue with mid 1970s was diamond cuts and miscuts. But love seeing real cardboard. Remember, some kid pulled that 1962 DD card out of the pack off focus yes but mint corners some 61 years ago! If they were a dodgers fan it was probably quite a day.

Paul t
Nick said…
I've been buying more singles online than ever lately. It's a good way to really zero in and knock bigger needs off my lists. But there's still a huge thrill in getting a package of random cards in the mail every once in a while - that'll never go away.
TwinKiller said…
Happy to help cross of that need for you. I recently changed my handle because I wanted something different and that's the first thing that came to mind.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl, during my college years in the early and mid 1980s, some of the rerun shows were staples when eating lunch or early dinner around classes and studying chemical engineering. I remember watching a version of leave it to beaver where the boys called none other than don Drysdale but ran up an astronomic 10 dollar bill in 1962 calling Mr. Drysdale after a game (he was taking a post game shower). That was actually broadcast in 1962, as your card.

Paul t
Billy Kingsley said…
I've gotten Random Acts of Kindness from BucCollector and TwinKiller in the past...I've got a package heading out to the former this week and building a package for the latter.
Old Cards said…
What a great way to start your post with a 62 Drysdale looking so good in all its flawness (is that a word?). I saw that episode of Leave it to Beaver with Drysdale. Very exciting back in the day.
gcrl said…
gio's customs are great! and what a joy to get a 1962 card of big d in the mail. this truly is a generous community.
Bo said…
That Drysdale looks great, what a fun card. I have a common or two from 1962 with that effect.
DD eyes are killing me. I still see double even when I'm not looking at it.
Fuji said…
The generosity among bloggers is really mind blowing... and is the perfect example of people going out of their way to help others. When I'm actively reading blog posts, there isn't a day that goes by where I don't read at least a few thank you posts.
GCA said…
I wish more bloggers had specific lists like you do. I've got a ton of extra stuff that I see people buying and think "I could have sent you that!"

That '78 foursome custom would go nice in my Dusty Baker collection...