Skip to main content

Card perspective from the better half

 
 
Today is Mrs. Night Owl's birthday.

It's not easy to mix cards with her birthday. She just doesn't care about them. She's been great about my hobby all these years, never saying a word of complaint about it, the accumulating, the spending, the scattered cards that she might trip over, none of it. 
 
She even was the first to suggest the card room, although I'm sure part of that was to make sure the cards were finally confined to one place. That's mostly succeeded.

She does find some of my collecting interesting, and one of the few times I can grab her attention on cards is when I say, "guess what stupid price this card is going for?" That was a fun pandemic game. It doesn't happen quite as much anymore. 

Other times I can get her card attention is when I find something that I know is related to her interests. Then there are times when I'm sorting cards and she'll walk past and comment on how she likes how a certain card looks, the design catches her eye.

Right now I will attempt to list what she would like most if she was collecting cards, based on everything I just said.


1. Old cards.

She likes old stuff and she's mentioned how she likes the way 1950s cards look. But I think she likes the way cards that are even older look. The '50s are fine, but they aren't ...



2. Really, really old cards.

Yeah, I think if my wife was collecting, she'd be collecting tobacco cards. She likes that turn-of-the-century stuff and older. The Victorian Era, that's where she's at.

That's different than me as I just can't get myself interested that much in cards that are older than the 1950s. Sure, I'd like them, especially my Dodgers, but I find the more current cards more relatable. "Old" has always been the '50s to me and I don't know if I'll ever break from that.



3. Cards that mimic old cards.

Not Heritage. That's not going to do it for her, but Gypsy Queen will. I may dislike almost all of the GQ looks, but she wouldn't.
 


But she would especially like the tobacco-mini retro cards. The mini aspect is key for her, she's mentioned that before.
 


4. Allen and Ginter cards.

Here's where our interests line up. She finds A&G the most appealing as I do, and minis the best of the A&G. Me, too!
 


In general, A&G includes the best of all worlds for her (there's Queen Victoria now). It mimics old-style cards, it includes minis and it includes topic that are not baseball. Many a time I've brought a card over to her with a "guess who is in A&G now?" look, and most of the time she's thought it was cool.


She likes the A&G mini insert themes, too. She likes quirky. I like quirky. Not once would either of us complain that there was a card of a planet in A&G. That's why we're still together.



5. Cards from TV shows she watched as a kid.

We're both children of the '70s. Cards like this automatically have appeal. I own only one card from Grease, but I if I found a bunch more, she might want me to try to complete it.



6. More childhood memory cards.

My wife is a Buffalo girl. She grew up with the Bills and Sabres on TV in the house. She got to know the names of the Sabres from the mid-1970s because her older sister was watching them. These cards always get a reaction.
 


7. Josh Allen cards.

Nothing is more appealing from a card perspective for her than Josh Allen cards. The last two years she's become a diehard Bills fan and "Joshy" fan. In fact I'm not sure why she hasn't raided my collection for the Allen cards yet.
 

 
This whole page would be appealing to her.

Even after having said all that, just because she's mentioned she likes a certain card doesn't mean she'll take the next leap into collecting. The gene has to be there. But I never expected her to get that into the Bills after all these years, so I suppose it's still possible.
 
I doubt seriously that will happen.

Mrs. Owl and I have been living in the same place together for over 30 years, longer than I lived with my parents (it's always weird when you realize that) and I've celebrated 35 of her birthdays. I think I know her.

Comments

Happy Birthday to Mrs. Night Owl! Thank you for this blog.
Robert said…
Well said. My wife’s tastes are along the same as mine. Lucky me in that regard. Happy birthday to the mrs.
She sounds like a keeper. My wife is as well, and found me a couple packs of cards for my birthday which is also today!
Nachos Grande said…
Happy birthday to Mrs. Night Owl! That was a fun spin on a birthday post as well.
Jeremya1um said…
Happy b-day Mrs. Owl!
Old Cards said…
Happy Birthday to Mrs. Night Owl and congrats on your years together. My wife of 40+ years is very tolerant of my card collecting and never begrudges the money I spend, but she hasn't suggested a card room.
1984 Tigers said…
First off, happy B day to the misses.

My wife and I started dating in Jan 1990. By that time, I was living in the same 3 bedroom ranch for 3 years that we live in today. The 2nd guest bedroom was my baseball (actually all sports) card room. She gave it that name later on. The baseball card room.

My favorite memories of going to BIG card shows in the early and mid 1990s was going to shows in Dearborn MI while she shopped at nearby Fairlane mall. She'd take the tram from mall to the hotel where the show was at and drop in a patiently sat next to me while I sorted through EX MINT late 50s and early 1960s baseball cards. I would routinely drop 1000 bucks on cards that list a lot more today in beckett, even if adjusting for inflation. Got most of the vaunted 1961 topps Hi number all star cards this way.

Hey, whether it's your wife, hubby, or significant other, bless them for allowing you to indulge!

Night owl, I was in 9th grade and watched the 1978 nhl all star game on cbc channel 9 while living in Detroit. It was in Buffalo and none other than Sabres Gilbert Perreault score the winner in overtime. Great times indeed!

Paul t
POISON75 said…
Mrs Owl happy birthday to you I know that you are not much into sports like Mr Owl is but I hope that he made your special an All-Star event
Nick Vossbrink said…
Interesting comments about 1950s being "old" for you. I've long been kind of amazed a the coincidence of modern cards debuting a the same time we started having black players in MLB. Yes Playball exists but there are both collecting and standard of game reasons to start with the 1948 sets.
Bill@Bravestarr said…
Happy Birthday to Mrs. Night Owl!
Nick said…
Happy birthday, Mrs. Owl! This post made me think of one of my friends who cares absolutely nothing about baseball and/or baseball cards - but it's fun getting her perspective on random card topics I bring up sometimes. I know she thinks it's crazy that there's baseball cards made out of things like silk and metal. I suppose I would, too, if I was seeing them for the first time.
Billy Kingsley said…
Happy belated birthday!
Jafronius said…
Belated happy birthday!