Skip to main content

30 teams, 2023 edition

 
I am very unprepared for the new MLB season from a viewing standpoint.
 
I cut my cable midseason last year, which means no MLB Network, and no Mets or Yankees broadcasts. I had a subscription to mlb.tv during the 2021 season but scrapped that to save money and also because I was mad at the labor strife prior to last season.

I could re-up but the service was always wonky on my smart TV, which I possibly could rectify by upgrading the cable/internet connection but since nobody's coming to my house to upgrade it for me, it would all fall on me and I'm sure I'd screw it up and erase the few remaining channels we have, and Netflix and Hulu and Amazon, as well as zapping all the gaming stuff we have connected to that thing to coax the daughter to come back and visit every once in awhile. And since MLB isn't partners with youtube anymore, there goes that, too -- MLB just wants all us fans to go away I guess.
 
So I was in a bit of a snit about having nothing baseball-y to watch and realized the Red Sox-Phillies spring training game was on ESPN, so I turned it on. Gracious, what a mistake. I know, I know, what do you expect, it's ESPN? But I had no idea it had gotten SO. MUCH. WORSE. When I turned it on, they were interviewing two Phillies in the outfield. Not one, two. Then the nonstop interviews continued, they'd get done interviewing a manager and then it was right to a Phillies player and then Roger Clemens showed up to chat and then let's talk to Alex Bohm for like 15 minutes and then -- this isn't baseball, this is The Interview Show. People say, "I just put it on mute," but half the time they didn't even show the game! I expect this to calm down when the regular season starts but not much because ESPN is as clearly enamored with taking away my viewing opportunities as MLB.

So, all of that was a roundabout way of saying, I don't know much about what's going on in baseball this year.

But still I'm ranking all 30 teams in order of my liking anyway, just as I've always done, since way back as a youngster with a pen and paper.

This is the 15th time I've done this on the blog. But I'm going back even farther in time and representing each team with a card from 2003 Topps, Topps' most recent mug-inset set prior to 2023 Topps. Twenty years ago Topps also went wild with blue borders. An entire set of blue parallels! I should be collecting this set, but I think I knew even less about baseball then than I do now.
 
To spice things up for me, I'm going to try to find someone on each team's roster that I had no idea was playing for that team. You know, to really own my ignorance about this year's season.

Here is the list. As usual, make your own if you like but this is the official master copy. Post it next to your TV where you can review it, while Karl Ravech is babbling about something that is not the game currently being played.
 

1. Los Angeles Dodgers (highest ranking: 1st; lowest ranking: 1st)

He's on the roster?: Well, it's the Dodgers, so I'm clear on every last person on the roster. I expect that to change once they're making 20 player moves a week in midseason.



2. Toronto Blue Jays (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 8th)

I went with the team card because -- full disclosure -- I'm relying on TCDB images because I've gotten so lazy. The '03 Blue Jays images aren't the clearest.

He's on the roster?: Brandon Belt? Huh. But he's an Ex-Giant, ick. I may have to amend my No. 2 ranking for the Jays.



3. Kansas City Royals (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 5th)

He's on the roster?: No surprises here, probably because I latch onto any identifiable name I can with my Royals. There's a whole other bunch of people on the roster I have zero idea who they are period.



4. Baltimore Orioles (highest ranking: 3rd; lowest ranking: 18th)

The Orioles took a plunge in the rankings last year because I was mad at inept teams. I still am, but I'm going to be gullible and hope the Orioles are improved.

He's on the roster?: I had just gotten used to James McCann playing on the Mets and now he's not.



5. Boston Red Sox (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 7th)

He's on the roster?: Adelberto Mondesi apparently left the Royals. Now that's one less guy I know on the Royals.



6. Philadelphia Phillies (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 10th)

The Phillies avoid the overexposure jinx, which almost always affects World Series teams for me. But I was rooting for them for several rounds.

He's on the roster?: Josh Harrison. Get ready for some good Harrison Phillies cards.



7. Pittsburgh Pirates (highest ranking: 3rd; lowest ranking: 7th)

Pirates gotta start acting like a major league team or they'll be dropping to 20th in the near future.

He's on the roster?: Carlos Santana. I do remember reference to him moving to a new team but I don't recall hearing it was the Pirates.



8. Oakland Athletics (highest ranking: 4th; lowest ranking: 9th)

Still mad that they've been giving up decent players for more than 20 years.

He's on the roster?: Trevor May



9. Detroit Tigers (highest ranking: 7th; lowest ranking: 13th)

The Tigers can jump at least two places in the rankings by getting rid of that useless strip between the mound and home plate.

He's on the roster?: Edwin Uceta (former Dodger).
 
 

10. Minnesota Twins (highest ranking: 9th; lowest ranking: 14th)
 
I want 2023 to be the year that I pay attention to the Twins. And that sounds very much like a New Year's resolution that will inevitably be broken.
 
He's on the roster?: Dennis Santana (another former Dodger).
 
 

11. Cleveland Guardians (highest ranking: 6th; lowest ranking: 17th)
 
We're settling nicely into the "flyover states" portion of the ranking.
 
He's on the roster?: Mike Zunino.
 
 

12. Texas Rangers (highest ranking: 5th; lowest ranking: 12th)

Have the Rangers broken out the old Washington Senators uniforms since the Washington Nationals became a team?

He's on the roster?: Will Smith, the pitcher (The Rangers seem to have double the number of pitchers on their spring training roster than other teams).



13. Cincinnati Reds (highest ranking: 9th; lowest ranking: 16th)

He's on the roster?: Buck Farmer. He apparently was on the team last year, but I had no clue.



14. Seattle Mariners (highest ranking: 13th; lowest ranking: 20th)

One of the things I like about 2003 Topps is that it's almost all action all the time and then a card like this hits you in the face. Not a great card, but the nostalgia is through the ceiling.

He's on the roster?: AJ Pollock. Players seem to disappear when they end up in Seattle. At least that's the view from 2,500 miles away.



15. Tampa Bay Rays (highest ranking: 14th; lowest ranking: 23rd)

He's on the roster?: Zach Elfin.



16. New York Mets (highest ranking: 16th; lowest ranking: 21st)

He's on the roster?: Jose Quintana.



17. Chicago White Sox (highest ranking: 6th; lowest ranking: 17th)

The taint of Tony La Russa is still on this team, and now they've got Mike Clevinger.

He's on the roster?: Elvis Andrus.



18. Chicago Cubs (highest ranking: 18th; lowest ranking: 25th)

Well, you can't say they're no-names anymore.

He's on the roster?: Trey Mancini.



19. Milwaukee Brewers (highest ranking: 10th; lowest ranking: 23rd).

He's on the roster?: Brian Anderson. I thought he'd be on the Marlins forever. Has anyone in the majors who played at least 10 seasons played their whole career for the Marlins?




20. Miami Marlins (highest ranking: 13th; lowest ranking: 20th)

He's on the roster?: Jean Segura.




21. Washington Nationals (highest ranking: 19th; lowest ranking: 24th)

He's on the roster?: Jeter Downs.



22. Colorado Rockies (hightest ranking: 22nd; lowest ranking: 26th)

Rockies already have problems. At least the Dodgers will be no worse than third.

He's on the roster?: Brad Hand.



23. St. Louis Cardinals (highest ranking: 6th; lowest ranking: 25th)

He's on the roster?: Nobody that's a surprise. I always have my eyes on these guys.



24. Los Angeles Angels (highest ranking: 24th; lowest ranking: 26th)
 
Perhaps the best part of Mike Trout not being on everyone's lips all the time anymore is that when he hits a home run we don't have to see vacant tweets, from very well-known, supposedly knowledgeable baseball accounts that say, "Mike Trout can baseball!"
 
He's on the roster?: Gio Urshela. 



25. Atlanta Braves (highest ranking: 19th; lowest ranking: 25th)

He's on the roster?: No one notable. Like the Cardinals, I'm way too familiar with this team. I'd like to be less familar.



26. Arizona Diamondbacks (highest ranking: 26th; lowest ranking: 29th)

He's on the roster?: Evan Longoria. How did this get past me?



27. Houston Astros (highest ranking: 5th; lowest ranking: 28th)

I wanted to drop this team -- so sick of them -- but with what's below, I just couldn't.

He's on the roster?: The saying about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer applies here. I know every bleepin' one of them.



28. San Francisco Giants (highest ranking: 28th; lowest ranking: 30th)

Big moment! The highest the Giants have been ranked since I started this on the blog 14 years ago. Don't expect an upward trend. Or even a lateral trend.

He's on the roster?: Ross Stripling??? The Giants have way too many former Dodger pitchers on their team.



29. New York Yankees (highest ranking: 28th; lowest ranking 30th)

Roger Clemens wasn't so bad during that ESPN interview. I enjoyed the point where he said "I love the Red Sox," or something like that, and I automatically imagined a Yankees fan watching.

He's on the roster?: Living where I do, you would have to try very hard not to know who is on the Yankees. Every move is broadcasted loudly.



30. San Diego Padres (highest ranking: 26th; lowest ranking: 30th)

The Padres are last for the first time here. Why not? They want to be big shots, this will fit right in with their bad boy/face of baseball image (I get confused). They'll need to get used to stuff like this. They do remind me of George Steinbrenner-led Yankees teams more than any team since.

I don't expect to see them ranked here for more than a year or so though.
 
He's on the roster?: Matt Carpenter. This guy is determined to play on every team I don't like. I expect to see him on the Giants or Diamondbacks or Astros next year.
 
OK, that's it. If MLB decides to expand to 32 teams, don't plan to see this breakdown in this way again.
 
In fact, for the first time, I kind of agree with people who say "I could never do this, every team that's not my favorite team is tied for the bottom."

Comments

Nick said…
I don't watch MLB Network nearly as much as I once did, but I'm glad I still have it because man are ESPN broadcasts awful. I don't mind the in-game player interviews as much during spring training, but they do the same thing during the season and it comes off like an awkward talk show. It gets in the way of, you know, watching the actual game!
Metallattorney said…
Regarding your question about the Marlins, I had been thinking about the best players for each team that spent their entire careers with them recently and I was pretty stumped on the Marlins. The only one I could think of was Jose Fernandez, who only played four seasons due to his untimely and tragic death.
Brett Alan said…
As far as I can tell, the longest-tenured Marlins player who never played for another team is pitcher Renyel Pinto, who was there for 5 seasons. Anderson was there longer, and Pablo López was also there 5 seasons, but both are with new teams this year.

Always nice to see a card of Edgardo Alfonzo!
TwinKiller said…
I'd be disappointed if you break your resolution for the Twins...
1984 Tigers said…
Rob Fick hit the final homerun in tiger stadium at the end of the 1999 season. In fact, a grand slammer. Those were the dark days for my tigers. Some horrid teams and went from 1994 to 2005 without a winning season.

As for game interviews, the wife has crashed but left the dodgers vs royals on TV for me to enjoy while I sip an IPA I've never had before. The soon to be bankrupt bally sports broadcast is actually pretty solid. Yes, lots of in games interviews but at worst you have a split screen. I started my job at Dow the same year bobby Witt made his mlb debut. Now I'm watching his son get interviewed. I'm really enjoying the moment and am reading the backs of 1975 topps. Now looking at the great roster of 4 rookies per card. Even the non superstar cards have some memorable guys from 1970s and 80s. Doug DeCinces who got into legal troubles later with fraud. Manny Trillo. Dennis Leonard, whose rookie card was once listed separately in the 1980s beckett. Scott McGregor. Rick Rhoden who was a good hitting pitcher. Jim kern, John Denny and Rawly Eastwick on the same card.

I can see why the late 1970s white Sox needed gimmicks like 1979 disco demolition night to draw fans. The three Sox rookie guys I saw are forgettable. Jack kucek. Nyls Nyman. Jim Otten. Those three rookie "stars" combined for a negative WAR. At least they were sooooo bad they got to draft number one and chose Harold Baines!

Nite owl, not sure if you've ever blogged topps world series cards but 1975 was the last year to have a card per game. My favorites were the 1970 and 71 series since they had cards for each alcs and nlcs game plus ws game. Love the brooks Robinson in 1971.

Cheers!

1984 Tigers said…
Ps forgot to mention the 411 card in 75 topps was former twin and cub george mitterwald. In the dugout still wearing his chest protector.

The trivia question in back of his card. What is a banjo hit? Answer: a weak fly which barely clears infielders.

:>)
Anonymous said…
The obnoxious broadcasts are the main reason I barely watch anymore. The antics of the players doesn't help.
Chris said…
I wasn't collecting baseball cards in 2003 and I'm probably not going to watch this year, either. We haven't cut the cord completely but we did cut out the sports package (so no MLB Network) and the rule changes have really turned me off. Doubt I could even make a list like this, and if I did the Yankees *might not* be last. Only because the Mets (and Padres) are more Yankee-like than they are.

Nick Vossbrink said…
I absolutely believe the Giants can switch places with the Astros on your list. It's going to be weird this year when the Gants and Dodgers only play each other in 4 series. I wonder if that'll amp things up or take the energy out of those games
James J Cashman said…
As I get older I find it harder to get into the new guys and it saddens me a bit. I used to love pouring over the sports section when they’d print all of the team statistics. As for the games I can’t listen to the Yankees anymore and it’s not John or Susan, but the “this fourth pitch in the direction of the Norse winds was brought to you by RWJ Barnabas and blahhh”

I miss the folksy folks. Phil Rizzuto talking about finding a great cannoli before taking a round of golf with Cora in Teaneck.
Having Bobby Murcer reply with “ever try BBQ, Scooter?” All that time no one noticed that Matt Nokes tripped over second base legging out a liner. It’s all about that cannoli, baby!

One of my absolute favorites will always be Tim McCarver. I know he’s polarizing, but I loved his way of explaining the game without second guessing his approach. Ralph Kiner was his partner in the booth and he was a living legend who’d tell you a story about Hank Greenberg or Augie Galan.

Just pulled a wild Bobby Thigpen 91 Donruss Diamond King and I never noticed the colors in the background. Kinda reminds me of Goudey or Diamond Stars of the mid 30s.

Great article!
Billy Kingsley said…
ESPN's broadcasts are just as bad in the NBA. It's mostly the two washed up coaches complaining about how the game isn't the same as it was when they were active or off on some tangent not related to the sport or anything else at all. A couple years back they went the entire fourth period without mentioning the game they were covering even once. It's a disgrace.
Fuji said…
It's easier to rank my bottom 5... than it is to rank my top 5. But by far the hardest are the 20 teams in the middle.

#1 Oakland A's
#2 San Diego Padres
#3 Seattle Mariners
#4 Los Angeles Angels
#5 Atlanta Braves

#26 New York Mets
#27 Houston Astros
#28 San Francisco Giants
#29 Los Angeles Dodgers
#30 New York Yankees
Jafronius said…
Woo, the Cubs have their highest ranking! And how could the Astros not bring up the rear after the cheating scandal?

Shame about long-tenured Marlins. And Mondesi left the Royals?
Benjamin said…
Thanks for putting the Tigers at #9. That made my morning.
Matt said…
I may not watch a lot of baseball this year either. I cut cable a few years ago, but T-Mobile has given its customers Free MLB subscriptions the past few years. I think that partnership ended though. I may just purchase the MLB audio package and listen to broadcast instead.
dayf said…
every year i read this and look like Sickos.jpg the more i scroll without seeing the Braves
#25 is fantastic and i feel like there's still room for improvement although some really crazy stuff would have to happen to get lower than say, #27