Skip to main content

Cards, not commentary

Chuck, you're looking at me that way again. Just like you did here. I'm telling you, I'm not talking about the game.

You don't need me to tell you the Dodgers lost. There are 8,000 other sites out there that will break it down for you. Besides, this is Night Owl CARDS. We talk about CARDS here. Not games, or pitchers who can't throw strikes, or how you can get 14 hits and still lose. CARDS, I tell you. CARDS.

So, let's see a few cards from Tim of Great Sports Name Hall of Fame. He sent me a small assortment of stuff I needed, including Mr. Crim up there, which may or may not be a night card. I'm not 100 percent sure on that one.

Here's a card of one of the worst offensive players to ever wear Dodger blue. You may think I'm a tad harsh on Delino DeShields, that I hold a grudge after the Dodgers gave up Pedro Martinez for him. Nope. Delino did it all by himself in 1996. Look at the numbers. He did.

This '95 Sportflix card shows only two images. Apparently, Sportflix knew DeShields wasn't worth three. But I feel cheated.

Here is Odalis Perez on a card set that I never knew existed until Tim sent this card to me. "Sports Nut." What a terrible name for a card set.

Actually, it's some sort of online fantasy league game connected to the Upper Deck store. You could win stuff. Is there an actual Upper Deck store? Not an online thing, but a store you can walk into, with boxes and boxes of Documentary piled to the ceiling, all marked up, because you're paying for the privilege of being in the Upper Deck store, kind of like being in the gift shop at the Baseball Hall of Fame, except not as good, because, it's, like, Upper Deck? And if there is a store, have all the major league logos been scrubbed off the walls and everywhere? And are all the workers surly? Do they keep talking about how Olin Mills-style portraits of ballplayers are so superior to anything Topps puts out? I bet it's a happy place.

OK, that last card made me cranky. Here is something that makes me smile: 1988 Score. This is a card I needed in my bid to complete the set (all of the cards are still just sitting in a box, so I'm not super serious about this completing business. When it gets to binder stage, then it's serious). Tim actually had a Fred McGriff card. Can you believe it? That's so funny. Imagine him having a McGriff card. That's wild.

Here's another guy that Tim likes to collect. This is the card that touched off the trade. The insert cards in Upper Deck X certainly are charming.

Let me take a moment to talk to Manny: Manny, you've still got some things to work on, but it wasn't your fault tonight. You did your part. This one was on the pitching. Seven walks? Just stupid. The Dodgers should've had this one.

Oops, I guess that was some game commentary there, huh? I'll make up for it by talking about a card: It's Manny again! The 1971 Manny Sanguillen card has won the poll of the best Sanguillen card of the '70s. Weeeee! It edged out the 1970 Sanguillen by one vote. Thanks to all who voted. And thanks, Tim, for the cards.

Good night.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are hilarious!!! Talkin' to Grim's card like that.

Sports Nut? I agree...couldn't they have come up with a better name?
Matt Runyon said…
Despite the overprinting, I really like those early Score sets.
Two Packs A Day said…
time to pull out a ryan howard card and threaten to harm it if the Phils win the NLCS. ;)

dodgers gotta win at the bank since they don't seem to have a homefield advantage anymore in this series.
SpastikMooss said…
haha I love what you said about the McGriff card. And sorry for your loss...I'm pulling for the Dodgers too. I'd be doing Manny and McGriff wrong if I didn't. Maybe I'll have to blenderize some Phillies or something. Too bad I don't have a blender.