Skip to main content

Ex-Speier-ed

One thing that I have found discovered during my foray into TTM autograph requests is that I find the disappointing part of the TTM business really disappointing.

I have received seven requests back since I started this less than a year ago. Five were a success. Two were not.

I was alerted to my second unsuccessful attempt Monday afternoon. The cards that I sent to former major league shortstop Chris Speier were returned to me with both a handwritten and a stamped "return to sender/recipient not at this address" notation on the envelope.

I sent out this request more than three months ago. I don't know where it was during all this time, and why they were just discovering that Mr. Speier was not at that address. I do know that Speier worked as a coach with the Reds this season, and that some people have had success getting Speier autographs by sending their requests to the Reds. Of course, the Reds are done for the season now. So that's out.

If you haven't been following along for awhile, you may wonder why I sent out a TTM request to a former Giants player. Excellent question. I assure you, I haven't lost my mind. Yet.

The reason was this card:
Several people said -- and I agreed -- that it would be a kick to get a card in this condition autographed. I also sent the 1973 Topps card at the top of the post just because it's a cool card. But both cards came back to me -- in no worse shape, but both unsigned.

So, now I'm 5-for-7 in TTM requests. And I'm pretty happy that I do this only on an irregular basis, because the rejections bother me too much given the thought that I put into these. And now it occurs to me: how come I'm the only one posting my unsuccesful TTM tries? Maybe the rejection bothers other people, too?

Anyway, I don't think I'll bother searching for another address for Speier. Something about asking a Giant for an autograph just seems wrong.

Comments

That's too bad about the lack of a response considering other people had success. I must say that is a sweet play at the plate card and now goes on my wantlist! Thanks for posting it.
SpastikMooss said…
Man, that would look awesome autographed. I'm currently blah about TTM as well, as I'm sitting on 2 pending TTMs but they've both been out over a month. I keep wondering if I did something wrong hahaha. But I also keep hoping.
Tony said…
You guys have to be patient. I've had TTM requests that have come back after two years. Just because your requests have been out for only a month, doesn't mean they are not coming back. My success rate for mail requests is over 85%, and I'm up over 500 successes. Why not try for Speier next year when the season starts again?
gcrl said…
speier had a couple (at least) quick returns this season c/o the reds according to startiger. i'd give it a shot next year.

in other news, i did post about my al downing ttm failure a while back. otherwise, i am an optimist about the 'pending' ttm request i have out there!
Matt Runyon said…
That '73 Speier is a great card.
If it makes you feel any better I was at the Mariners' Fan Appreciation Night over the weekend and they didn't sign any autographs. I guess they let that winning record go to their heads.
Tony said…
I was seeing lots of Speier returns on SCN. I wanted to send to him myself, but never got around to it. He seems like a good signer.