Skip to main content

Gint-a-cuffs, you'll want to read this one

Is Andy still with us? Hang in there, bud. Only about 460 Allen & Ginter posts to go in this Gint-a-cuffs-a-thon.

Meanwhile, I've lost confidence that I will win this thing. But it won't be the fault of packs 13 through 15, that's for sure.

Here they are:

PACK 13

267 - Melvin Mora (0 points)
221 - Brandon Webb (0 points)

109 - Samuel Morse (0 points). You think I'm going to try to learn Morse code in one minute and write something snappy all code-like? Fat chance.

155 - Yadier Molina (0 points). The NL losing the All-Star Game was not his fault. Hell, at one point I was about ready to adopt him.

AGR-AER - Alex Rodriguez relic (+6). OK, this sucks. Not because it's A-Rod or anything. OK, yes, because it's A-Rod. You see, because of our great rules, I have to cut the point total for any Yankee relic in half. But, come on, it's freakin' A-Rod! One of the better hits you can get! Six points? Arrrrgghhh. (I'm saying this is a short-print relic, which is usually worth 12 points, because it comes from Group B, which has the steepest odds, 1:215).

Look. It's even game-used pants! Doesn't that count for something? Where's my frying pan? I've got to make the commissioner some fried egg sandwiches.

346 - Dominique Wilkins mini (SP, +7). Apparently basketball players competed for generic teams back in the '70s.

NP59 - Miguel Cabrera, National Pride (0 points)

PACK 13 SCORE: 13 points. Should be more. Definitely should. Yes, I'm pouting.
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 147 points

PACK 14

193 - Khalil Greene (0 points)
143 - Robbie Maddison (0 points, motocross champ)
25 - Evan Longoria (+2, favorite player list)
81 - Willie Williams (+2, Negro League star)

213 - Stephanie Brown Trafton (0 points). I love cards of Olympians. Have they made a card set of just Olympians? I'm sure they have. I would buy that.

84 - Justin Upton, code card variation. I don't think this is worth any points. But I'm not sure.

149 - Chipper Jones mini (+3, favorite player list)

NP61 - Mark Teahen, National Pride (0 points)

PACK 14 SCORE: 7 points
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 154 points

Pfffffft.

PACK 15
246 - General Custer (0 points)
90 - Bobby Crosby (-1 point). Poor Bobby.
74 - Matt Tuiasosopo (0 points)

289 - Milky Way (-1 point). Cool card. But negative points.

AGR-KF - Kosuke Fukudome relic (+8, relic, x5 for being on favorite player list, total, +40). Now that's more like it. And look at that stripe. I think we need points for stripe relics, too. Did I mention, commish, that one of my jobs in college was frying eggs for hungry college students?

HHB5 - The Turk, World's Biggest Hoaxes, Hoodwinks & Bamboozles (+5). Apparently they brought this game around to bigwigs like Benjamin Franklin, said it was a machine that could play chess, and then beat the pants off of Franklin and Napolean. But there was actually a person in there operating the box. Sounds cool. Although not for the person in the box.

NP51 - Albert Pujols, National Pride (0 points). You think he's glad the All-Star Game is over?

PACK 15 SCORE: 43 points
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 197 points
(EDIT: Total score 199 points, as commissioner has ruled that code cards are worth 2 points each).

Awesome.

I'm going to be taking a break from Gint-a-Cuffs for a few days. But I'll resume next week. And I may have another box to open, too. Maybe.

Comments

Dinged Corners said…
Pants card! Stripe card! Points in Gint a Whirl if not Gint a Cuffs.
Anonymous said…
I'll do you a favor and take the A-Rod from you if you'd hold it for me. I'm getting some Dodger stuff together (that I've been holding for you) as I write this...
Motherscratcher said…
Nice break! You may catch Beardy yet (assuming he's still the leader with his 300).

I'm not sure if it's more wrong or more right that the Fukudome relic is worth so much more than the A-Rod.

WV- suretrap
Searching and failing for something clever to say.
Andy said…
No I died.

But on the plus side, it does appear that female olympian is groping herself.
Captain Canuck said…
Greg, for next time....

http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm
Anonymous said…
KOSUKE~!!!! You're welcome, btw. Good luck and continued success in your attempt to defeat the almighty bearded dragon.

Any chance some of my long-set aside for you Dodgers can net me the Fukudome if I don't pull one in my box when it comes tomorrow?

Word Verification: wisesser
dayf said…
You got my packs! Stole 'em right out from under me! Well, the mini cards at least, you can keep the rest.
Andy said…
Word verification:

GINTERTARY
Motherscratcher said…
Word verification:

GINTERTARY


No way.
beardy said…
Is my 300 still the high water mark? With all the rumored talk of red-ink autos and whatnot, I figured by the time I got back that maybe there'd be at least 1 person ahead of me.

There's no way I'm going to win that easily. This is WAR!
capewood said…
How did they get the Milky Way to stand still for a photo?
Anonymous said…
You've been equaled by someone, beardy, but it doesn't appear you've been overtaken yet. Though my box just arrived about 10 minutes ago, so who knows how long your score will hold up. :P
night owl said…
oldschool ~

I'll set aside the A-Rod for you. I'll shoot you an email in a few days. Or send me one.

lonestarr ~

Let me know what you've got for Fukudome. Hopefully, you pull something Dodgery, but if not I'm sure we can work something out.

dayf ~

Yeah, I got your packs -- again. I can send Nique and Chipper out to you. I might take me a little while though.

Andy ~

My condolences.