Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: 1988 Topps Barry Larkin

(I found out earlier today that I had to go into work. It's my vacation. And I have to go into work. In fact, I'm probably there right now. So, I'm going to skip what I appreciate today -- because I'm not in the mood -- and go right to the cards. This is Cardboard Appreciation, the 41st in a series. Now, if you'll excuse me, the grindstone is calling):

It's time to give a little love to 1988 Topps. You may have seen the post on Dinged Corners, requesting folks to rank the Topps sets of the '80s. The sets that ranked most consistently at the bottom were 1989 and 1988.

Personally, I think 1982 is the worst. The design sucks. The weird hockey stick going down the left side is odd. I think the Cal Ripken rookie card is skewing everyone's perspective on the set. But I agree that 1989 is one of the worst, too, even though that set has great meaning to me.

Now, 1988, I think is an overlooked gem. It is simplistic without being boring. If you can use the word "classy" to describe a card set, I think that applies. It's a bit of a spin-off of the 1966 Topps set, which I'm not crazy about, but with an updated, improved look. I think what Topps did, with the player's image overlapping the letters of the team name, was a great touch. It makes the set for me.

The Barry Larkin card is one of my favorites from the set (I know Bo Jackson was voted as the best of the set on the 88 Topps Cards blog -- it is a great card). It's a nice portrait shot. But what I like best is the all-dark background that frames Larkin. Kind of looks like the Topps Black cards from this year, doesn't it? And we all know how cool those are.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Just a post to get you to reconsider 1988 Topps. And if you're interested in my ranking of the sets of the '80s, here you go:

1. 1983
2. (huge gap between '83 and the rest of the decade)
3. 1988
4. 1985
5. 1984
6. 1980
7. 1981
8. 1986
9. 1987
10. 1989
11. 1982

Comments

Matt Runyon said…
I'd swap 1984 and 1987, otherwise your rankings are about the same as mine. The only sets I really dislike are 82 and 89.
You're right, that is a nice card. I'm not a big fan of the set, but that is a really great example of its best.

Bummer about your being at work. Have a beer when you get off!
Captain Canuck said…
1987 is the worst card design of the '80's... by far.
Fuji said…
Personally, I like the 1982 set. In fact, I had a difficult time choosing what set design would come in 2nd after the ever so popular 1983 set. In the end, I picked 1984 as my second favorite and 1982 as my third.

However, I can honestly say that Ripken didn't factor in with my decision. Since I was a kid, I've always liked the design of 82 Topps. I think the main reasons are the "weird little hockey stick going down the left side", as well as the "in action" cards, and the interesting color choices for each team.
Weinstein said…
Re: 1988 Topps, I thought you might appreciate this:

http://bluenatic.blogspot.com/2009/07/greatest-pack-of-baseball-cards-ever.html