Skip to main content

Not your average Joe

For the second time in a month, I received an email from out of nowhere from a generous collector named Joe.

Now this Joe was not this Joe. It was a different Joe. But the package I received from this Joe was no less generous than the one I received from that Joe. And now I'm searching for cards to send to both Joes. I've got to tell you, Joes, you're making things a tad challenging in the card department. But you've certainly gotten my attention.

The cards I received from this Joe were so successful in their effectiveness that I have to break them up into two posts. This will be part 1. The second part, hopefully, will be coming up very soon. But with Gint-a-Cuffs and some vacation plans all going on at the same time, that's a bit shaky. But I'll get to it. Don't you worry 'bout a thing.

Part 1 will address the Dodger cards. You already saw one of them, although Jackie wasn't dressed in Dodger blue on that card.

Here are most of the others:

First some want-list needs. This is 2005 Heritage. Given how much I like the 1956 Topps set, I should like these more than I do. But, for some reason, this is one of the Heritage sets that just doesn't work for me. I think it might be because the '56 set was so of its time. Putting modern-looking players with this design just doesn't work, probably because so many of the '56 pictures were painted.

This is the last Dodger I needed from the Rookie Debut insert set that came in 2006 Topps Updates & Highlights. It was quite the Dodgers rookie crew in that set: Billingsley, Martin, Kemp, Loney.

Here is some super shininess featuring some of the earliest cards of DeWitt, Beltre, Hu and Ishii. I'm not sure which ones are the players' true first-year cards. I'm guessing the DeWitt one is and maybe Hu. Collecting Ishii was all the rage in 2002, so maybe that one, too. Beltre, I have no idea. Could be. I'm just not a rookie card guy.

A whole mess of Dodger prospects autos. Of the bunch, only Scott Elbert at the top of the post has made it to the majors. And Blake Johnson (bottom right) is the only one pitching for a major league affiliate right now. He's in Double A ball for the Royals.

You thought I was finished with the autographs? Nope. Here is one of sometimes fifth-starter Eric Stults. You'll notice the ding on the left side. I think that is because I dropped this card and several others off the back of my stereo speaker. I guess that's not protecting my investment, is it?

Another shiny, first-year card from 2005 Bowman's Best of one of my favorites, Matt Kemp. Card is numbered 338/899. Again, 2005 was the year for early Kemp cards. So this is quite cool.

So is this. A dual auto card of Kemp and former Dodger Franklin Guttierez, who went to Cleveland in the Milton Bradley trade. I wasn't pleased at the time. But I'm pleased with the card.

On to the present day and some swatch stuff. Or "dual swatch" stuff as Upper Deck likes to call it. But we all know it's just a solo swatch, UD, you bunch of hoodwinkers. Still, very cool stuff, Joe.


Best for last. It doesn't get better than a relic card of The Duke. Look at that old-time wool swatch. Wonderful. I don't even care that it says game-used pants on the back. You could tell me it was a game-used pants zipper from The Duke, and I'd be happy. Well, maybe a little creeped out. But I could get over it.

Joe, great stuff. Thanks a bunch.

Oh, and Joe's got a blog, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Pants cards FTW~!

If it's just a single swatch, then it is a double-sized one, so it's a winner either way, perhaps even more of one, since big swatches don't appear nearly as often as duals.

I'm also glad I'm not the only person who's really good at dropping their cards.