Skip to main content

Time for only one set at a time

 
It's getting to be that time of year when there's no time for anything, I mean more so than the other parts of the year in which there's no time.

Through it all, though, I'm collecting cards. I'm always collecting cards. I don't leave the hobby for a few days or weeks or months and then come back to it. My collection is on my mind daily and adding to it -- or thinking about adding to it -- is constant.

This is why I have so many card collection projects. If one gets too difficult, I can pivot to something else and still have some collecting to do without any break in the action.

But for me -- due to time and money -- I have the time to focus on only one set at a time, particularly if it's somewhat tricky.

Right now that set is 2023 Heritage. Yeah, I'm still obsessed, though probably not as obsessed as those people who completed Heritage back in May.

I'm down to the short-prints, have been for several weeks now. That means no more buying packs or blasters. It means ordering a handful of cards at a time, four, five six, then waiting a week or so and ordering more.

I will continue on that mission until it's done -- I hope by the end of the year, though the holiday may have something to say about that. And my other collecting projects will mostly go by the wayside.


I'm down to the final 32 cards. Most of this is by my own doing, the SPs just aren't randomly available in trades too often. But these two did show up in a TCDB deal with GoldenEagles555.
 


He also sent this 1969 Topps need. This is one of those sets that I'm currently pursuing but can't put much focus on due to the Heritage chase.



Another current set pursuit that I've done well in despite not putting a lot of energy into it. These cards showed up in a trade with The Hawk. I think the Frank Crosetti cards in my collection have doubled in the last week.
 


Both The Hawk and jcouvy sent me 1985 Donruss needs in TCDB trades, coincidentally both Padres. The '85 Donruss set is also one in which I want all the cards and will gladly accept offers, but there is not much chase on my end.



Again, The Hawk and jcouvy also sent me an individual 2022 Topps Fire Dodger need. My Dodger collection is one that I will chase here and there, sometimes a card at a time. I will go on benders of collecting nothing but Dodgers, then back off for set pursuits.



If I collected nothing but Dodgers cards I'd have more time for things like this. It's another item from the jcouvy envelope and it's from the 1983 7-Eleven Super Star Coins set, which features just Dodgers and Angels. There were a couple of those coins in the big box of cards Johnny sent me and I set them aside to find pages for them and now I don't know where they are.

This is what happens when there's time for only one set.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
I’ll have to email you the SPs I have set aside for you so you can mark them off and I might just have to pwe them over your way.
Good luck with the SPs! That 85 Gwynn card is awesome. I'm sure I've seen it before, but I feel like I've never seen it before.
Those pesky Heritage SPs. I still need 2 I think for my Braves team set.
1984 Tigers said…
The Whitson and Gwynn both appear to be in Wrigley. The ivy in the background of Whitson is what it looks like in the spring before it blooms. The Padres played the Cubs in early May 1984 in Wrigley, when no one was expecting them to face off in October. Probably taken same game. Whitson pitched a no decision on a Saturday in Wrigley that trip.

Night owl, relatively speaking just how SP are the SPs? Common to SP is 2 to 1, 4 to 1, 10 to 1, etc. Just curious how the ratio.
Doc Samson said…
Topps short printing certain cards in their 2023 Heritage set is criminal. I would love to complete that entire set, but way too pricey.
Crocodile said…
As much as I like Heritage cards, I don't know if I'll ever have time to pursue them.
GCA said…
I just trade with GoldenEagles555 on the database too! I've got a post brewing about the six packages I got in one day last week. Not sure if that one was in there...
Michael D said…
I decided just a few weeks ago that I was going to complete the 2023 Heritage set. I didn't even think to look for SPs. I don't even know if I have any. I do know that for me completing the set doesn't have to include the SPs.
Fuji said…
Sometimes having a bunch of unfinished projects can make me feel overwhelmed... but ultimately you've got the right attitude. It's cool to be able to hop back and forth between these set builds.

That Sax 7-11 coin sure takes me back to my childhood. One of those "happy moments" was riding my bike to 7-11 after baseball practice, buying a Slurpee, and pulling off the flap on the bottom of the cup to reveal which lenticular coin I got.
Jon said…
If I only had time for one of these sets, I think I'd go with the Pacific Legends.