Skip to main content

Still climbing

 
Sometimes I wonder if when I write certain sentences, readers see them as a challenge.

I put words out into the internet space and people interpret them as they like. It's wild to see what they come up with sometimes.

This latest example was no challenge or call to action or dare or anything like that. All I said a couple weeks ago was: 

"It's not like I'm looking to pad my collection on (TCDB). I have plenty of his cards (277) and now that's he's with the Rangers, he won't be climbing up from his No. 16 ranking among the players with the most cards in my collection."

This is what I wrote about my Corey Seager cards. That's when people grabbed the imaginary gauntlet off the ground, raised it above their heads and exclaimed, "Challenge accepted!!!"

OK, that's what I envision based on what I've since received. On that same post, I went through some of the Seager cards I own (that are not scanned on TCDB, and, no, I haven't done anything about that). Shortly after, the Seager cards started arriving.
 


This snazzy item appeared from Chris of The Collector. Although I went on and on about the "base" version of the Seager Glassworks box topper that I own, I had no idea there were parallels because why on earth are there parallels of box toppers??

But there be and this one is pretty spectacular. It's called the "indigo" parallel because GQ has to be snooty and fancy. It's blue. And I will not be looking to see if there are any other parallels with similarly snooty names. My two-pocket page has only two pockets and it is now filled with base and blue.



The other Seagers showed up from Chris of Nachos Grande. They are part of the Not-So-Secret Santa package that he sent. I'll show the rest of the package in a future post.

Nachos gifted me four Seagers. The only one I had already is the Bowman-This-Doesn't-Fit-In-Any- Standard-Page Card at the top of the post. The rest are Donruss and every one new to me.
 


I must say I'm getting a little more comfortable with my phone scanner -- it's only taken two years. This is shiny and numbered to 99. It does not take my mind off that Seager never wore a uniform like that, but it helps.
 


Finally a nice relic card from Donruss. Seager is now climbing a little up the relic list for the Dodgers, though he's a long way away from the Shawn Greens of my laundry collection.

With these latest cards, here's where Seager rests in terms of the most cards in my collection:


You can see he's still 16th. But he's jumped in total since two weeks ago and I'm sure he'll surpass Russell Martin fairly soon. (I don't expect him to pass Sandy Koufax, although I'd love if he chased down Kevin Brown).

I'm not opposed to adding cards of players who have recently left the Dodgers. I just know that the urge to add players lessens once they leave the team. But they're always wanted cards. They have to be some sort of rapscallion of ill repute for me to actively ignore them once they're off the team.

So thanks for the Dodger Seagers! Sure I'll take more. And, yeah, I guess that's a challenge.

Comments

Nachos Grande said…
Glad I could offer up some sort of Dodger cards you didn't already own! I'm impressed by how many cards you've now logged on TCDB.
Would you want any Seagers if say he was wearing a Yankees uniform?
night owl said…
Nope. I'm not really interested in his Rangers cards.
Nick said…
I've made offhand comments about certain players deep into a blog post and then been flooded with cards of said player shortly after. It's great to see how attentive blog readers can be!
Greg, what phone scanner app are you using? My scanner/ printer died? I need an alternative. Thanks
night owl said…
HP Smart Printer. It's taken me a while to adjust to it.
Matt said…
I may have to check out this phone scanner thing. Your pictures look amazing
Chris said…
It's so tough to find Dodgers cards you don't have, so I'm thrilled I could contribute to your collection. I'd found that "Indigo" box topper on COMC one year and the only other players in my price range were Altuve and Syndergaard.

I'd honestly planned on sending it to you before you posted your Seager count - had to clear out some oversized box topper cards to make room for the haul Dennis sent me.
Fuji said…
What they heck is a phone scanner? That thing produces some gorgeous scans. Does it auto-crop? If so, I might need to buy one.

P.S. That Glassworks box topper is gorgeous!
Matt said…
"I don't expect him to pass Sandy Koufax, although I'd love if he chased down Kevin Brown"

- You're not fooling anyone with this next low-key "challenge" ;)