Skip to main content

The worst Dodger card for every year I've collected

 
Here's something for you to chew over when you're sick of chewing on Thanksgiving fare.

A couple of months ago I revived my review of the best Dodger card for every year I've collected. At the end of the post, I mentioned I planned to unveil the worst Dodger card (Topps only) for every year I've collected.

That's what I'm doing now.

Unlike the "best," I feel like a number of these cards need explainers, so there will be words between the cards. In general, the card is a candidate for the worst if it's boring, a bad photo, airbrushed/photoshopped or an inconsequential player. I am all in favor of commons, I love them, but you know how Topps likes to force in players (a.k.a. rookies) who don't belong.

All right, here they are, the worst of my team since I started collecting. I hope no one's offended. (P.S: Rick Auerbach would be the worst for 1974 if I was technically collecting that year).
 
 

1975: Ken McMullen. I believe this card is the lowest-ranked Dodger in my 1975 Worst To Best Countdown. I'm too lazy to look it up.
 
 

1976: Ed Goodson. What an odd airbrush presentation. I knew something was strange about it back then. No team, other than the Braves, had that weird white sleeve panel that streaked up the shoulder. This is a Braves uniform. It certainly didn't look anything like what the Dodgers wore. Also the hat is monumentally fake.
 


1977: Stan Wall. It was difficult being an anonymous Dodger in the mid-to-late 1970s. Wall did it though, in back-to-back sets.



1978: Rick Rhoden. Maybe the first controversial pick. There are three Dodgers cards featuring head shots with airbrushed caps -- Vic Davalillo, Terry Forster and Jerry Grote. None of them are great, but how do I pick between them? Rhoden's card is just WAY TOO CLOSE. Zoom out a little!
 


1979: Jerry Grote. There's Grote now. You still can't be sure if he's really wearing a Dodgers hat.



1980: Lerrin LaGrow




1981: Jerry Reuss. I recall being disappointed by this card.



1982: Steve Howe



1983: Terry Forster. And there's Terry Forster (there won't be a Davalillo), standing like a fat tub of goo.



1984: Rick Honeycutt. I was excited by Honeycutt's arrival with the Dodgers so nothing but love for this card. It sure does stand out among the action in the set but not in a good way.



1985: Steve Yeager. There are a couple of other Dodgers with a similar profile shot but they are both youngsters (Sid Bream and German Rivera). Yeager should know better, and he should button his uniform, who is he, Jose Abreu?



1986: Steve Yeager. Oh for crying out loud.



1987: Ken Howell



1988: Tito Landrum. Probably one of the worst Dodgers cards ever. Or best.



1989: Bill Bene. This is where Topps started making it easy. Bill Bene never played for the Dodgers, or any major league team, yet there he is in the team set. Without a hat.



1990: Kal Daniels




1991: Dennis Cook



1992: Chris Gywnn. The single drip of sweat may be considered a nice touch but it makes me icky. Sweaty players need a ball cap, a ball cap with sweat stains.



1993: Dave Hansen. I feel like I'm missing half the show with this card.



1994: Omar Daal. Nothing really wrong with this card, I guess it was just the odd-man out.



1995: Rafael Bournigal. Is this a baseball play? Somebody please explain what's going on.



1996: David Yocum. Person, years later, who knows David Yocum, seeing this card for the first time: "I didn't know you played for the Dodgers." Yocum: "I didn't." Person: Did you even play in the majors?" Yocum: No, just Class A. *Awkward silence.*



1997: Ismael Valdes. That ELBOW.



1998: Jose Vizcaino. I don't know what's happening here. I think Vizcaino is trying to look tough with his batting gloves and wristbands and tape, etc. But he's not looking at the camera and he just looks like an obstinate teenager.
 
 

1999: Kevin Brown. Seeing old Kevin Brown Dodgers cards is like seeing your mom's old boyfriend in a photo album and remembering how you had to pretend to like him.
 
 

2000: Darren Dreifort. I have a problem with horizontal cards that should be vertical cards. I also have a problem with vertical cards that should be horizontal cards.



2001: Andy Ashby. "Suttoning" was best left in the '70s/'80s.
 


2002: Nick Alvarez. Alvarez got to Triple A. But that's not a Dodger card. I should actually banish cards like this to a box, but I'm weak.



2003: Dodgers team. You are going to see a lot of these, which baffles me that Topps continued to do this beyond 2003. There is nothing not weird about players lining up for a photo and then plastering a wall in front of them.



2004: Dodgers team card



2005: Ricky Ledee. Ledee breaks the streak of team cards by posing inside a studio as if he plays one of those cold-weather sports where you can't be outside.



2006: Dodgers team card



2007: Dodgers team card. I love that black-blue combination so at least there's that.



2008: The 2008 design is such a photo-killer. Anytime I think about trying to complete it, I remember cards like this.



2009: Mark Sweeney
 



2010: Chad Billingsley. Zooming in so close that you can't see his whole pitching arm is irksome.



2011: Ivan DeJesus
 



2012: Juan Rivera (you're gonna have to believe me with some of these foil-named cards).



2013: Zack Greinke. More photoshop wizardry that makes you question reality.



2014: Onelki Garcia



2015: Clayton Kershaw, checklist. Kershaw has four cards, I believe, in the flagship set this year (excluding leader cards). That's too many and by the time you get to this one -- a horizontal card that should be vertical -- even this Kershaw fan got tired of them.



2016: Frankie Montas
 



2017: Enrique Hernandez. I'm assuming someone thought the wheel ad in the background was cute, zoomy zoom around the basepaths! But the 2017 design makes it look like Hernandez has no legs and it's very odd, like many '17 cards.
 


2018: Tim Locastro. You may fool me with the uniform airbrush, but you are not fooling me with that helmet!
 


2019: "Sweet Life" checklist. These random cards are flat-out fillers but the headline makes it a special kind of cringe. It's a reference to the Nickelodeon show "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody," which aired like 15 years before this card appeared. The only reason I know this reference is my daughter was the show's prime audience at the time it aired. My daughter has zero interest in baseball cards.



2020: Edwin Rios. Where's his bat?



2021: Trevor Bauer. There are too damn many 2021 Dodger cards of Bauer for the time he put in with them, let alone this one of him straining. I think it might be time to start burning some.



2022: L.A. Dodgers card. I don't have a problem with celebration cards -- maybe there's too many -- but I'd appreciate my boys not looking like they're from "Dumb and Dumber".



2023: Yusniel Diaz. This card looks insanely out-of-place with the rest of the Dodgers in the set.


All right, so there you are. Some of those cards aren't so bad at all, while others were instant no-brainer picks.

That'll probably do it for me for the team set reviews until I've seen all the 2024 Dodgers sometime next fall.

Meanwhile, enjoy your holiday. I'll probably pop up on Friday with another post.

Comments

So many of these are terrible. Is that Bauer airbrushed too? Looks really fake. The 2006 Team card irks me because the cut off the bottom of the A in the LA and it's left me really unsettled -- like the card with the missing bat (2020) or the practically legless Hernandez (2017). Ricky Ledee in 2005 looks really baffled. & there's something Joe Girardi-ish about his mug, too. Really hate unbuttoned shirts. Castellanos for the Phillies does this too. It's skeevy.
Grant said…
Lerrin LaGrow was 30 in that photo!
John Bateman said…
2023 Diaz card reminds me of that trees don't appear that often anymore in Topps sets.

Never noticed//made the connection on the 1985/1986 Yeager card.
Old Cards said…
Very ambitious post on a day before a holiday. Thanks for labeling the years. I can identify the Topps card with the year 1951 through 1993. After that, can't do it!
Congratulations on making me no longer miss team cards. You'd think they would have cropped that 2004 card tighter and minimized the fake wall.

Wow, Yusniel Diaz and his 1 career AB for the O's gets a rookie card with the Dodgers? Saw he just signed a minor league contract with the Giants, so with some hindsight this card is almost completely pointless.

Happy Thanksgiving!
1984 Tigers said…
Totally forgot the LaGrow pitched for LA, even if just for part of the 1979 season. The Tigers farm system began to fail the team when we had LaGrow and Gene Lamont come up together (see 1971 topps rookie of them together). That led to the 102 loss 1975 season.

The Yeager card clearly looks like the same day, only a different angle. Check out the trees in the background. They used the same day photo two years in a row, which is pretty lame.

The 89 topps set was the 1st to use a full run of 1st round picks. A lot of guys who either never made the bigs or just a few cups of coffee. I think the dodgers draft picks must have been sliding in quality by the late 80s.
1984 Tigers said…
Interesting quick read about Dodgers 1st pick from 88 in the 1989 set. Bill Bene. Google "Bill Bene Karaoke" the guy must have blown his 150k bonus long before getting into legal trouble. Hard to believe the Dodgers spent a pick on the guy 5th overall. His college stats were no good at all. Someone dreamed of his talent that never materialized.
The Kevin Brown analysis made me laugh.
Fuji said…
Hard to argue with most of these. Very plain and boring. The one card I really like is the Bournigal. Well-cropped and interesting. I'm also curious to know what's going on in the photo.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Matt said…
Mildly surprised Kershaw's open fly card from a few years ago didn't make the list.
Jafronius said…
So Yeager just turned his head while the photographer snapped pictures and Topps looked at the 2 photos and went "we got his card for next year"?

Fun post!