Skip to main content

Oh no! Oh yes! O-P-C, a two-parter

 
I kind of miss going to Canada.

Like a lot of things, it's gotten a lot more complicated and I don't have the time to sort through complicated. I'm sure if I got on a mission, I could get everything in order for a visit, but, geez, I remember the days when I could pop over there for a weekend with barely a thought.

But I probably missed the very best time to visit Canada anyway. That would be in the '70s, when you could find O-Pee-Chee wax packs on store counters. My folks actually did take us kids on a trip to Canada -- I believe Quebec -- when I was youngster, but no one was using their heads and we returned home without a single OPC baseball card.
 
I've been making up for that ever since. I try to grab OPC cards from the '70s and '80s whenever I can (heck, earlier, if someone slips up), mostly on a whim, there's no concerted effort happening. But I've been doing a lot more of it in the last year or two.
 

There's a guy named Rob on X, who I've mentioned a few times on here, who runs giveaways on weekends every once in awhile (it may be every week -- I don't know -- I'm not on the site as much anymore). If you sneak past the massive prize moochers, you can grab a card once in awhile. 

This time I landed this 1978 OPC Tony Perez. Every time I get an Expo or Blue Jay OPC card, I feel like I've done an extra good job.


There's the back because I know some of you missed the ragged edges and need to see the French as proof.



Here is another 1978 OPC that does a much more direct job of telling you it's an OPC card, using its "Now With ..." calling card. These are my favorite OPC cards, the blending of one team in the photo with another team in the design.

This card arrived from Bo of Baseball Cards Come To Life! He landed a bunch of OPC cards recently. His rate of baseball card acquisitions is almost up there with Johnny's Trading Spot, I think. I don't know how those guys find the time, and I find it difficult just catching up to their acquisition blog posts. But every once in awhile I catch something long enough to get some cards.


There's the Fairly back. Eleven-year-old me reading the Play Ball instructions: "But Sir, Balls!"




Another OPC from Bo, this time from 1977. This is the greatest OPC year for me because all of the changes from the Topps set. I have more cards from this OPC set than any other. Nearly halfway complete.



My favorite of the bunch from Bo. Back before this blog, I owned less than 10 O-Pee-Chee cards. One of them was the 1974 Sparky Lyle, which I featured on the blog in the early, early going.

Outside of Dodgers OPC cards, that was the only '74 I had until now.



1974s are fun because of the yellow backs, like the 1971 OPCs. There are no floating heads with the '74s but there are the cartoons. (Type is often smaller on OPC backs because of featuring both English and French and I wonder whether this caused Canadian kids to visit the eye doctor more often).

That's all the OPC I have for you today, but as you surmised by the post title, there is more OPC to come. This is a two-parter!

Here is a tease for the second part.


You know it.

Comments

Nick said…
I've never been to Canada, sadly. I'd like to go one day, but it's not a huge bucket list item. At the very least, I'd love to check out their card shops - probably tons of OPCs there!
1) Oh my, that wax wrapper.
2) I'm with Nick, never been there, would love to one day for the card shops.
Chris said…
'70s OPC have really appealed to me of late. Particularly hockey but I've done a fair share of searches for '77 and '78 Blue Jays/Expos.

"But Sir, Balls!" lol, I'd probably say the same thing. "gardien de but" was "guarding the butt" to 10 year-old me.

I haven't been to Canada since 2000. I miss it, and I'm sad to hear it's such a chore to go there now. The hobby shops where I stayed (Toronto/Brampton area) were pretty great. I never checked for OPC baseball though.
GTT said…
Nice '74 OPCs - that was the rarest OPC set post-'68.
Michael D said…
Never been to Canada. Heck, there's a ton of places in the U.S. I've never been. Hope to get there one day. Started a thing of trying to go card stores when I travel to places.
Brett Alan said…
I've been to Montreal once, in 1991. Was there when the Gulf War started. I wasn't collecting cards at the time, but I went to two Mets/Expos games and did some record shopping.
Michael Ott said…
FYI, Canadian card shops (and card shows) feature primarily hockey cards. Though I can't speak for all Canadian baseball card collectors, I prefer the U.S.

There was plenty of OPC baseball around in the 80s and 90s, but those cards were never as desirable as their Topps equivalents.
Matt said…
A youth group I was in would go to Niagara Falls every year, and my friends and I would easily walk across the bridge, tell the customs guy we were going into Canada for a few hours, grab a maple pop, and spend an afternoon walking around. Shame people can't do that anymore. Niagara Falls is also where I proposed to my wife, and I'm thankful we did this before passports became necessary. A different world back then my friend...
Bo said…
Glad the OPCs made it to you this time!

I'm nowhere near Johnny's level when it comes to card acquisitions. In fact with all of your tradeposts and people gifting you cards, you probably have more cards coming in regularly than I do.
1984 Tigers said…
Been to Canada many times, especially love Toronto. For our honeymoon summer 1993, we drove from Michigan in a loop around Eastern Great Lakes eventually spending a day in Cooperstown at the Baseball HOF. That evening we drove north and east to Montreal and stayed there 5 days. Hit 3 expos games. During the day, my wife was fine letting her drag me around to a few card shops. And yes, even back then most of the product was hockey. Almost bought a few packs of the 81 82 opc hockey that had Paul Coffey rookie as well as Messier 2nd year and Gretzky 3rd year. Wished I had done that and saved them to open Christmas eve. With the exchange rate they would have been 30.percent cheaper than what I could have found back home.

I bought the full 1977 opc set, only 264 cards. They must have printed that set in the summer because it had a lot of the expos and blue jays in their new uniforms. This was the 1st card of Perez as an expos, whereas he was still a red I believe in the topps set. Also, a few of the Jays and Expos rookie cards of guys in the four panel were replaced by a single card of just that rookie. Guys like Alvis Woods, Doug Ault, Leon Hooten (not related to Burt Hooton).

In the early.90s, the same friend of mine who got my the hostess cards bought a huge lot of cards from a guy selling his collection. With it, he could hundreds of those 71 opc baseball, including many high numbers. He didn't really seem to care for them but I should have made an offer for them.
Jon said…
I'm allergic to the cold, so Canada is a no-go for me :)
Jafronius said…
I have relatives in Windsor, just across from Detroit, but it still counts as Canada. I was very confused when we were able to buy baseball cards at a convenience store back in 1987, and the cards looked like Topps and had the backs likes Topps and had recognizable players like Topps but they had French words on them and O Pee Chee where Topps was supposed to be. Ah, good times.