Skip to main content

6 in 30: the misfit box

I'm succumbing to peer pressure (blogger pressure?) here. Either that or I need a topic.

Anyway, the idea folks at Dinged Corners challenged everyone to pull out a binder filled with cards and find six that make them feel warm and tingly. But there is a 30-second time limit on selecting the cards.

A few have answered the challenge. And after seeing their results, I did, too. But, as usual, I couldn't quite follow the rules. All of my binders feature sets or Dodgers, so card variety -- which I think is one of the purposes of this exercise -- would not exist if I pulled from binders. So, I went straight for the misfit box.

The misfit box is a collection of cards and pseudo-cards that don't exactly fit into my collection. Either they are duplicates, or they're too large or small, or they feature a theme that doesn't go with what I collect.

However, they still make me happy. And that's why the 30-second rule isn't a problem for me. I can find happiness in just about any card I pull. As long as I haven't just spent a wad of cash on it.

So, these are the six I turned up:

Tom Glavine, 2008 Stadium Club. Ah, Stadium Club. A quest that I fear is no more. I have no incentive to track down the remaining, power of 3, short-print cards. The want list is still there, but I don't see myself making an effort to find the last few cards.

Lime Rock Ruben Santana Winter League ball card. I'm not sure what year this was issued. In the early 1990s sometime. I received a selection of these cards, used as packing material, from Spiff of Texas Rangers Cards. I know nothing about Ruben here, except his parents must have been big fans of famous Hispanic musicians since his name is a combination of Ruben Blades and Carlos Santana.

1990 Score "Magic Motion" MVPs insert, 1986 MVP Roger Clemens. I think these things multiply in the misfit box at night. I seem to have more of them every time I open the box. The back of this card features quotes about the Rocket from Rick Cerone and Nolan Ryan. Ryan says, "I like him. I like the way he goes about his business, and I like the desire he has to succeed." Hmmm, I wonder what he'd say now?

Freaky, huh, kids? Nothing to be scared of, it's only Eddie, the sweet Iron Maiden mascot. I've never been a metal head, but you couldn't go to high school in the 1980s and not know who Eddie the Head was. One of the NHL goalies used to wear Eddie tributes on his helmets all the time. I believe it was Roman Turek.

Jim Morrison, 1981 Topps sticker. Definite musical theme to these six, isn't there? I often wonder whether Morrison is a huge Doors fan or hates them with a passion. At any rate, I'm sure he knows all the words to "Riders on the Storm."

Last one. Hall of Fame postcard of Babe Ruth. Look how amazingly brief they were on the plaque write-ups back when Ruth was inducted. Three sentences! I guess if you write "Greatest Drawing Card in History of Baseball" first, there's not much else to say.

I picked up this postcard, along with several others of Hall of Famers, during one of my trips to the Hall as a kid. My goal was to get every postcard of any Hall of Famer who wore a Dodger uniform. And, of course, the Babe didn't play for the Dodgers, but he did coach for them.

I have several others -- Zach Wheat, Max Carey, Jackie Robinson. But I did this so long ago, that it was before players like Don Sutton made the Hall. And, for some reason, the Sandy Koufax postcard wasn't available. I'll have to track those down the next time I go.

Well, that was a fun little tour through misfit island. But I think these six are going to have to go back in the box. They don't like the light. Especially Eddie.

Comments

Matt Runyon said…
Early 80s Topps stickers are always good ones to post....and Eddie rocks!!!
dayf said…
I did the same thing when I went to the Hall of Fame! I have a binder with a bunch of those postcards in it somewhere. I now regret not just getting the whole set. My wife even authorized the purchase too, but I picked out Braves instead.