Skip to main content

Where have you gone Ramon?

Let's review the Dodgers' starting rotation after one month of the season:

Chad Billingsley: 4-0, 2.14 ERA, 34 Ks, 12 BBs, 0 HRs
Randy Wolf: 1-1, 4.31 ERA, 27 Ks, 8 BBs, 2 HRs
Clayton Kershaw: 0-2, 7.29 ERA, 26 Ks, 11 BBs, 4 HRs
Eric Stults: 2-1, 5.50 ERA, 11 Ks, 12 BBs, 0 HRs
James McDonald: 1-1, 7.11 ERA, 6 Ks, 10 BBs, 2 HRs

Ugly isn't it? Look at those ERAs. And this is for a team that's in first place. Where would they be without Billingsley?

It pains me to see the Dodgers struggle on the mound, because as much as I like offense, and this particular team's offense, I know that the Dodgers are about pitching. It has always been what they know how to do. But now I'm not so sure. They seem to be like every other team that hasn't got a clue about what they're going to get out of their starters.

So in times like these, I turn to the great Dodger pitching past. But I'm not going to go way back to Koufax and Drysdale or even as far back as Sutton and John or Hershiser and Valenzuela. I'm going to talk about Martinez. Pedro's older brother. Ramon.

Recently, Thorzul contacted me, saying he had acquired over 150 cards of a certain Dodgers pitcher and he'd be sending them my way. I was intrigued. I immediately thought of Hershiser. But I was wrong.

It turns out it was 177 cards of the Dodgers' great hope for the 1990s, Ramon Martinez. And, apparently the person who originally had all these cards had great hopes for Ramon, too. Because there were 52 Ramon cards from 1989 Topps alone, plus 40 from 1989 Fleer and 29 from 1989 Donruss.

That was Ramon's rookie year when everyone thought he was going to be the next Doc Gooden. He almost was -- for two seasons. He finished 20-6 in 1990, struck out 18 Braves in a single game, and was second in the Cy Young voting. The next season was pretty good, too. But then injuries and a general inability to string together several good starts hurt his career. Ramon did well again in 1995 and 1996, but he was frustrating to watch a lot of the time.

With the injuries and all, it's easy to forget how good of a pitcher he was. So, here is my ode to Ramon in card form, thanks to Thorzul Will Rule. I present the many cards of Ramon:

Rising Star Ramon: You think CC Sabathia was the first guy to wear a tilted cap?

Longest Arms in the World Ramon: His right arm looks three times as long as his left. No wonder he could pitch!

The Pensive Ramon: He appears to be thinking about his pitching performance on the left. Just draw some thought bubbles from the Ramon on the right to the Ramon on the left.

Operating Without a License Ramon: I'm told this is one of those unlicensed card dealies.

Ramon, Lover of Women, Enemy of Penguins: Doesn't it look like he just punched out a penguin? No? Well, it looks like he punched out something penguin-sized.

Shadowy Ramon: From out of the darkness, Ramon emerges to slay the evil Mets in Shea Stadium.

Bazooka Ramon: He'll burst your bubble.

Having My Picture Taken Ramon: Easily the most uninspired Ramon of the bunch.

Future Star Ramon: And he knows it.

Skinny as a baby giraffe Ramon: I read on the back of one of the cards that Ramon is tall and slender with a loose arm. Sounds like he should get that fixed.

Knuckle-scraping Ramon: That is some delivery. I pitched a little growing up. Not once did my hand ever hit the ground during my delivery. Of course, I'm not 6-4 either.

I Love L.A. Ramon: Even after seeing this card 52 times at once, I'm still not sick of this shot.

Shiny Ramon: Ramon goes out in style with the Dodgers with a glittery 1998 Finest card. After 10 years with L.A., he was still only 30 years old.

Where Am I Tonight Ramon: This stadium looks familiar as hell, but I'm drawing a huge blank.

Watching the Girls Go By Ramon: Ah, spring!

He's All Ears Ramon: I can't help it. It's all I see when I look at this card.

Powerful Ramon: Let's not forget Ramon struck out 223 batters in 1990 and pitched a league-best 12 complete games. He also threw a no-hitter in 1995.

In Your Dreams Ramon: Ramon was downright awkward at the plate. Shockingly, he hit one home run in his career.

Baffling Ramon: Score used the phrase "baffling changeup" on the back of Ramon's cards in consecutive years.

Classic Ramon: When I picture Ramon, this is the image I see.

Spotlight on Ramon: I know you can't tell on the scan, but it looks like the sun is shining directly behind him.

That ends the Ramon retrospective. Thorzul also sent a handful of other Dodgers:

He sent the last three 1985 Topps Traded Dodgers that I needed.

And a 2009 Upper Deck card of Andre Ethier.

The Dodgers have just sent James McDonald to the mound to face the Padres. Through one inning he has a no-hitter! Keep it going, James. Time to channel your inner Ramon!

Comments

beardy said…
awesome! my first mitt, well, new mitt anyway, was a ramon martinez model. it was a wilson i think? i wasn't quite as good a pitcher, but i tried, and you can't fault me for that.
I think the stadium you can't place is Qualcomm, Jack Murphy stadium.

word verification rentlite. When you don't have enough money to make your rent payment
Dinged Corners said…
Ramon doesn't look happy even when he's smiling.
Goose Joak said…
That 1990 Donruss card is incredible. WHAT IS HE THINKING????!!

I also dig the mound scraper cards. Almost like he's throwing a punch.
Mark Aubrey said…
Your descriptions made me smile. Thanks for yet another good post.

I was almost hoping that the pitcher was Hershiser. Maybe he'll send those my way.
PunkRockPaint said…
Rod is right: "Where Am I Tonight Ramon" is at the Murph!
Great write-up. Martinez was one of the guys I went 'ga-ga' for when he made the Dodgers.