Skip to main content

I love the '70s

I saw a post on these 2001 Upper Deck 1970s inserts at Mark's Ephemera and liked it so much that I thought I'd expand on it a little bit.

Mark matched each card from the Disco Era Dandies insert with the possible musical tastes of each player. I'm going a step further and selecting a specific song of the disco era that I think goes with the player. Why? Because I love music, I love baseball, and I love the '70s. So, put on your Boogie Shoes and join me.

DE1: Mike Schmidt. "Gonna Fly Now, Theme From Rocky," Bill Conti
DE2: Johnny Bench. "Disco Duck," Rick Dees (sorry, like Mark's Ephemera, I don't see Johnny as a disco guy. He'd be into the novelty songs)
DE3: Lou Brock. "Fly Robin Fly," Silver Connection
DE4: Reggie Jackson. "Got to Give It Up," Marvin Gaye
DE5: Willie Stargell. "We Are Family," Sister Sledge (that's a no-brainer)
DE6: Tom Seaver. "Heartache Tonight," Eagles

But why stop there? Let's do the same thing with the Bellbottomed Bashers insert set, too. This is a 10-card set.

BB1: Reggie Jackson. "Every 1s A Winner," Hot Chocolate
BB2: Gorman Thomas. "Slow Ride," Foghat
BB3: Willie McCovey. "Disco Lady," Johnnie Taylor
BB4: Willie Stargell. "Shining Star," Earth, Wind & Fire
BB5: Mike Schmidt. "Let Your Love Flow," Bellamy Brothers
BB6: George Foster. "Keep On Truckin'," Eddie Kendricks
BB7: Johnny Bench. "Rhinestone Cowboy," Glen Campbell
BB8: Dave Kingman. "Theme From S.W.A.T." Rhythm Heritage
BB9: Graig Nettles. "Pick Up the Pieces," Average White Band
BB10: Steve Garvey. "Annie's Song," John Denver

I must complete the entire Upper Deck '70s set. And all the inserts. It is far out, man.

Comments

beardy said…
anybody named gorman definitely loves foghat. you totally nailed it!
http://tinyurl.com/cwm3oo
is where you can see the set in it's entirety. Some scans on the inserts came out way darker than the cards are but so worth having if you grew up in the 70's.

I love that set and it was a blast putting it together. Great photos but not always clear.