Skip to main content

Baseball cards in the morgue

 
I'm working on a story for my paper on an old baseball team in the area. Posts might be less frequent than usual this week because of that.
 
While doing some research for the article, I visited our newspaper library, which is right in the building on the same floor as my office. It's a great, old reminder of what newspapers were and are and every time I'm in there, I nearly have to stop what I'm doing just to absorb how much history sits in that space.
 
Those who are familiar with newspaper terminology know libraries like this are called "morgues". A newspaper morgue is where a newspaper stores clippings of past stories and categorizes them by subject in alphabetized file cabinets. My paper has been around for more than 150 years so there are a lot of file cabinets!
 
As you can guess, I don't use the morgue that often anymore. We started storing articles in digital format in 1988 and the old microfilm machines gradually disappeared as they became too expensive to maintain. But sometimes the old morgue files still come in handy.
 
Finding sports topics in the morgue can be challenging -- librarians aren't always sports fans -- and I was hunting all over, from file cabinet to file cabinet, for info on this team. I didn't find anything -- found more in our digital archives. But while searching generally under "baseball," I came across an envelope titled "baseball cards". Well, let me pull that one and bring it to my desk!

During a free moment, I pulled the clippings out of the envelope. The clips included articles from basically 1970-90. I noticed a flurry of articles in 1980 when news of Donruss and Fleer breaking the Topps monopoly occurred. Most of the articles, whether national or locally generated, contained the same theme: "cards aren't just for kids anymore, cards are big business." It's amazing how that theme keeps coming up in an endless loop.

The most interesting article that I found (to me, anyway, don't know how interesting this is to people who couldn't relate to my SI post) was written by the sports editor of the time, printed in 1976. It was another "cards are big business" story but there were quotes from the Topps representative then, explaining how the company went about creating cards.
 
Then I found the coolest thing in the envelope.
 

These are photographs of the 1976 Topps Pete Rose and 1975 Topps Bert Blyleven, probably cards from the sports editor's collection, halftoned and miniaturized with adhesive on the back to be used during the old "paste-up" method of placing articles on a newspaper page.
 
When I first started getting familiar with the paste-up process at our paper, this was the method of producing newspaper pages (there were professionals who did all the cutting and pasting and we were there to edit copy -- with a blue pen -- and determine where cuts should be made but we couldn't do the cuts ourselves!). Seems absolutely archaic now and when I think about it I wonder how the hell we created a newspaper every day with this method. But, yeah, there's a definite DIY-like nostalgic charm to stuff like this.
 
 

Here is a portion of the story on the actual newsprint article. You can see from part of the article that the Topps representative explained the different photos taken of each player in the event that he was traded after pictures were taken.
 
Also, note the misspelling of Blyleven's first name. The copy is also pretty sloppy with a widow -- another newspaper term for a line that leads off a column not progressing halfway across the column -- directly under the caption (Duryea, Pa.). The caption is merely bolded, which is not enough to distinguish it from the rest of the article.
 
Every time I look at old copy from 50 or more years ago, I'm astonished by how sloppy and haphazard it seems (I also remember one old compositor who could not line up a strip of type straight to save his life. That would create crooked columns in the newspaper if no one caught it). People these days holler about newspapers and how they can't be trusted, but the quality has improved quite a bit generally, at least in my experience. The computerization of the process has certainly helped that. It's made things much easier, while also making the former compositors obsolete.
 
The article also featured a '75 Topps Catfish Hunter card but I couldn't find any half-tone image of that card in the envelope. The collector in me starting hoping the actual cards were in the envelope, too, but no luck.
 
The envelope is still on my desk and I still want to read through the rest of those old articles. It's always great fun when the media covers our hobby. Just the other day my uncle spotted the New York Times story that it wrote on the Chicago card show and Fanatics and all the changes. He had questions for me and I gave him the scoop.
 
So anyway, just wanted to relay that. It's not often that my work and hobby converge. It's fun when it does, and who knows what other card stuff might be in that morgue.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Just the title made me read this post. As a kid, I loved newspapers because it was a great source for the box scores and the news I craved for my favorite sport. However, I was not familiar with newspapers terms. With terms like morgue and widow and then throw in the article about cards becoming big business, I almost got depressed. On the other hand, it was interesting to hear about your work and your hobby coming together.
Very neat. Thanks for sharing this. The librarian/archivist in me is really interested in your morgue.
Jeremya1um said…
I was hoping it wouldn’t be a post about cards that got damaged in the mail.
Hope you find some more card articles in the morgue. I’m thankful for people that save old things like newspapers.
1984 Tigers said…
The 1975 Catfish Hunter was a colorful card showing him "post throw" in a staged photo in bright As colors. He signed too late with the Yankees to appear in his NYY uniform until 1976 topps.

I have found much delight in reading some sort of scanned newspaper images from 1970s and 80s sports stories. Living in a company town (Midland MI home of Dow Chemical for some 125 years) the library has some decent equipment for old local newspaper stories, apparently on film. I hope to read some old stories about the big sports events from the Midland Daily News perspective of the time.

It wasn't until HS in late 70s and early 80s that the baseball card boom seemed to make any local news. Unknown to me at the time, "investors" (people normally buying stock on Wall Street) began to creep into the baseball card market, which led to the first real boom in prices. I remember a friend telling me he bought a 56 Mantle at a card show in the mid 70s for about 2 bucks. By 1980 it's priced had jumped 5x to 10x.

I could definitely pass hours reading old stories, especially seeing what was selling in the want ads.
Michael D said…
Great post. I have a copy of the Dallas Life Magazine, that came in the Sunday edition of the paper from 1991 that has a story of James Beckett. I used to love to read the Sports page everyday. Get a synopsis of the game, notes and box score and of course, the feature stories on different players and teams. Next thing you know, the daily game stories just faded away. Down here, the Cowboys rule and dominate the papers year round.
Bo said…
So cool! Would love to see the whole articles if you are allowed to share them.
I bet it would be fun (albeit a ton of work) to re-categorize all of the articles in your morgue and of course digitize them. Well, for me anyhow. Would be a lifelong venture I'm sure, but just look at all of the articles you could read, lol.
Fuji said…
Wasn't familiar with the newspaper morgue or widow terms, but appreciate the inside info. Hope you're having fun with the research and writing of the article. Maybe you'll find some more cool card related items in the morgue.

I try to integrate cards into a couple of my lessons, but these days most of the students who care about cards prefer the Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh! variety. But every now and then I'll get a student who likes sports cards.
Anonymous said…
I worked at local newspapers in Maryland and Virginia throughout the 1980s and 1990s, so I would occasionally come home with line tape still stuck to my arms from leaning on the flats when I would proofread. I always thought the flats looked better than the paper the next day, probably because the halftones were sharper than the grayed out image. This was before better printing techniques came along too.

Anyway, once I did a story on local high school alums who made the NFL, and brought in a bunch of my football cards to highlight the story.

The graphic artist in charge of laying out the story decided to get creative with the cards, exploding the image out of the frame and so forth.

I saw his work on the layout proof, and had to tell him that although I loved his creativity, the value of including the cards in the story is to show that these cards in their original form signified a certain milestone for these guys, that they were now part of the card collecting lexicon, and so distorting or creatively altering the cards would not be helpful.

He was kind of dumbfounded that I didn't appreciate his creativity but begrudgingly went along with my request, so the cards appeared in a collage format which I thought still looked pretty cool after all.
Jafronius said…
Fun post, thanks for the inside scoop!
Jon said…
If I worked at a paper like yours, I'd never get any actual work done because I'd always be down in the morgue looking through old stories. And I like the way papers looked prior to computers homogenizing them; they were much more human, errors and all.