Skip to main content

Joy of a team set, chapter 25

 
Whenever I add cards to my 1970 Topps set, the 1969 set is not far behind. I either add a few '69s at the same time or I have them on my mind when I'm thinking about 1970.

Compared with 1970, I have a lot of work to do on '69 and it's difficult for me to see progress when I still have around 70 cards to go and a lot of big names and several upgrades, too. But I shouldn't think that way, I have made progress this year.

A blog is good for charting that. When you're in a card funk, just look through the past year (which I'll be doing in detail next week) and you'll be amazed at the advances you've made.

For example, upon reviewing I was surprised with all the 1969 cards I've picked up over the previous 12 months. I've really been at this '69 pursuit seriously for only the last year-and-a-half, spurred on by my (now former) co-worker's collection that I helped evaluate.
 
I checked my inventory to see which team sets that I had completed, as that's a handy measuring stick. It turns out I've completed just four of them, as the cards I need are well-distributed across all the teams. Those finished teams are the Dodgers (although I still need a couple extras unless I want to raid the team binder), the Red Sox, the White Sox and the Astros ... sorry, the Houstons.
 
I think out of those, the Red Sox are the biggest achievement as there are a few notable cards in that team set, not big, big names (except one) but better than the White Sox or Houstons, that's for sure.
 
So let's take a look at that team set now:
 
 

The Red Sox start out as almost unscathed by the onslaught of cap-less photos and blank-hat photos that plague many of the cards in '69. That first page is amazing -- maybe not the most up-to-date photos, I'm sure, but is there another nine-card streak for any other team in the set as clean as that one?

The second page is more typical with Ken Harrelson and Ray Culp.

All right, let's do the usual rundown:

Favorite cards runners-up: 5. Jose Tartabull; 4. Carl Yastrzemski, 3. Rico Petrocelli; 2. Jim Lonborg.
 

 
Favorite element on the back: I instinctively looked to the cartoons as Topps was in its second wave of cartoon excellence around this time. But with Conigliaro, you get a two-fer, maybe even a three-fer. There's the cartoon, of course -- damn hippy. But then there's the famed account of Conigliaro's beaning and just for emphasis: INJURED - OUT ALL SEASON. I think Topps could've gotten away with just "Injured" but drama.

Famous error card: More of a variation than error, but the Red Sox Rookie Stars card that contains Ken Brett and Gerry Moses, is one of the white name-yellow name cards.

Team's claim to fame: The Red Sox were two years removed from their "Impossible Dream" season. The big news was the return of Conigliaro. The offense did pretty well with Yaz and Reggie Smith, but Harrelson was traded away and the pitching didn't produce. Manager Dick Williams was dismissed near the end of the season.

Cards that give me the nostalgies: I was not around to collect the 1969 set, but there are a few '69 cards that I saw as youngster when my friend's older brother gifted him with some older cards, and then my brother and I started making trades with our friend to get those cards. Every '69 card from that time is still a big deal to me. For the Red Sox that would be Ray Culp, Congliaro, Jim Lonborg and Dick Williams.

Players I've talked to: None, but Russ Gibson's son emailed me once to compliment me about a post I did about his dad.
 
Former, future Dodgers: Ken Brett, Jerry Stephenson, Reggie Smith.
 
Worst-conditioned card: Pretty happy with all of these, but the Brett-Moses rookie card is full of rounded corners.
 
 

Most 1969 card: It's got to be Ken Harrelson. Yellow-and-green are Red Sox colors, right? (never mind today's anything-goes uniforms). And he'd be on the Indians a dozen games into the 1969 season!

Rookie cards: Aside from the multi-player cards, just Sparky Lyle.
 
Last card needed to finish the team set: Reggie Smith. 

OK, time for my favorite card of the team set ...
 

It's George Scott. He looks like he's warding off Yankee zombies.

I finished off the 1969 Red Sox team set in August. The White Sox '69 set was done in July. And the Astros team set was complete in March.

So when I look at it that way, there's been plenty of success with this set in the past year ... and there are 12 months of empty canvas to create whatever I want in the coming year. 
 
Ready to do more damage in 2024. Reggie rookie? Who knows!

Comments

Old Cards said…
Great update on your 69 set. Even the hatless cards look good. Shame about Tony Conigliaro. He did come back but had the potential to do so much more.
bbcardz said…
Gotta love the '69 set. It's simple and attractive at the same time--so many HOFers too. I still need only Bench, Mantle and Ryan to complete the main set. And I'm only four cards away from completing the white-letter variations (one of them being Mantle--ugh!). I'm pleased to see you're making nice progress in completing the set.
Heavy J Studios said…
So two Dodger team sets for the collection? That’s a commitment! Fortunately the 69 team wasn’t exactly loaded.
night owl said…
Yup! Just need an extra Aguirre, Haller and ... oof, Drysdale. But I don't need a mint copy.
Fuji said…
Reggie Smith looks so young... and clean cut. I'm used to seeing him with the afro and mustache. I remember him having that "mean mug" face on his 80's cards. Guess it started a decade earlier.

I should sit down and see how many 69T A's cards I have in my binder. I'm guessing you have more than I do... but I did finally add the Reggie a year or two ago.
1984 Tigers said…
The early series of 69 topps had a lot of older or recycled photos. They didn't settle with the players union on baseball card contracts until late 68. Players had been told to avoid the topps photographer. That's why you don't see Hawk in a red Sox uniform even though he would have been on the team all of 1968.

Love the backs of the cards and the 69 tigers and WS cards.
When completing my 1969 set, I didn't concern myself with the white name/yelliw name stuff, but I did get both versions if Clay Dalrymple and Donn Clendenon.
Nick said…
I don't know where I got it, but that '69 Tony C was one of the first "old" cards I can remember having in my collection as a kid. Still have a soft spot for it as a result.