Skip to main content

I'm not outgoing but the cards are incoming

 
All right, the previous post I showed you cards that came into the home for the holiday that didn't exactly fit my collection. That post went over like a palette of 1990 Donruss.
 
So here are some cards that have been arriving around the holiday that are much more style. Yes, that's right, "more incoming cards." You'll just have to suck it up. The other posts I'm working on aren't ready yet. There are more people in the house at this time of year, you know. I have to pay attention to them. I'm anti-social enough, how bad would it be if I just shut myself into my room with my laptop and cards?
 

These cards specifically came with holiday wishes from reader Dana, who traditionally sends cards around this time. He also sent the Mookie up top but I landed that card just before this envelope arrived. Appreciate the thought though. The most important card is the Campy, which completed the Dodgers team set for 2022 Gallery for me.
 


The next holiday envelope arrived from the Chronicles of Fuji. Very nice of him to think of me. All three of these cards were needs -- as they each came from the Time Of No Collecting. Very cool and it's cool to see Fuji posting regularly again.
 


OWLIE! Fuji also sent me another one. In fact he bookended the year with owl cards, sending me one back in early March. Both of the owl cards are from the 1930s -- this one is from the 1937 Gallaher British Birds set.
 


This card arrived just before Christmas from Zippy Zappy. I admit I had no idea what or who it was from first glance.

Upon a few more seconds of inspection I realized it was a Leaf card using a football Pro Set design to showcase an autograph from someone named Trey Sweeney.

Sweeney -- Google told me this -- was the guy the Dodgers got in sending relief pitcher Victor Gonzalez to the Yankees, which explains Kenny's note in which he said the lack of team identification means the card naturally morphs from a Yankees to a Dodgers card.

We'll see if it remains a Dodgers card.
 
Finally, I have one Christmas gift to myself that arrived early this week.


I found three more buyback to add to the 1975 collection. Key guys, all.

I was looking around to see if COMC had anything new in that department. I stumbled upon Kingman first. Then I was shocked to spot the Tiant. Then I was shocked AGAIN to spot the Perry. Both Kingman and Perry were '75 buybacks that I had seen no evidence of in my research, so I'm very happy to have those.

I ordered these quickly and they showed up very fast. It's a nice capper for the year on my '75 buyback pursuit ahead of 2024 Heritage and the buybacks that are sure to pop up then. I started the year with about 465 buybacks from the set. I'm now up to 479, which is 73% of the set. It'd be nice if I could hit 500 next year. I guess we'll see what it brings.


And finally, finally, this arrived in the mail today so let's squeeze it in before people tear down all the decorations.

I won it in a holiday contest over at Sports Card Info. Andrew is always posting giveaways but I haven't won one since landing an Alex Verdugo relic card. Verdugo has changed teams twice since then so it's been awhile.
 
I admittedly didn't really feel much Christmas spirit this season, save for some here-and-there instances like the cards above. From a personal level, covid put a damper on some of that stuff. My wife got out of quarantine just before Christmas so we were simply happy to be healthy for the heart of the holiday.
 
That's how it goes. I sometimes have an issue with expectations and am learning to rein those in. The key part, as always, is that ... the cards are still arriving.

Comments

Old Cards said…
The 75 buybacks are my favorite in this post. Is the small gold insignia the buyback indicator on the Kingman card? If not I don't see one.
night owl said…
Yes, those ones are hard to see.
Nachos Grande said…
As I get older and older, I relate more and more to Chevy Chase's character in National Lampoon Christmas. All I want is the perfect holiday for the family...and often trying to make that happen makes me go a little nuts.
Brett Alan said…
On seeing the Gallery Kershaw, my first thought was "when did 'Artist's Proof' change to 'Printers Proof'"? But, hey, they're using photos, not art, this year, so the change actually makes sense. Nice to see Topps doing that (even if making Gallery into a set with photos really doesn't make sense).
Bo said…
I had to look at the Kingman three times to find the stamp.

Never seen that Sports Card Info blog before. Looks like they post some fun cards. Will have to add that to my reading list.
BaseSetCalling said…
Power Zone = Stadium Club = Me excited for some new ones, but how anyone could keep track of which Power Zone card is from which year is an I dunno. Working on an old SC set this week, so lookin’ forward to new Power Zones, not really but can’t get new SC cards without’em I guess.
Doc Samson said…
Interesting post, Mr. Owl. Palette of 1990 Donruss actually sent a shive down my spine. That hellfire red!
gcrl said…
it will be interesting to see how far you can get with your buyback set with next year's heritage, assuming they stamp at least one full 1975 set.
Chris said…
I saw you'd won that Bellinger, congrats! I won a Dustin Pedroia relic from them a while back.

Can't wait to see you hit 500 buybacks (and hopefully more) for your '75 project.
Fuji said…
I was pretty happy to be able to find some cards on your want lists. Don't open up a lot of new stuff, so I never get to send you Dodgers in bulk.

P.S. Congratulations! Those are some big names for your 75T buyback set.
Grant said…
Nice buybacks, amigo. How many HoFers are you up to now?
night owl said…
Just 6, and that's if you include league leaders and team cards.