Skip to main content

Of age

 
Fifteen years ago today, really early in the morning, so early that I almost never stay up that late anymore, I wrote the first post on this blog.

Night Owl Cards has been around for so long that it's outlived its usefulness for a lot of people. Many once read but they don't anymore. Many once blogged but they don't anymore. A whole host of card collectors active on social media have no idea what NOC is nor that card blogs once ruled the world, or even have the patience or ability to read more than four paragraphs in a row.
 
But that's a them problem, not a me problem.
 
NOC has served me very well. My collection is abundantly more impressive than it was 15 years ago, than it would be if I never started a blog. I have completed sets and obtained cards that I never dreamed of owning before 2008. I have received kind words of thanks from throughout the country and the world for writing this blog. Correspondence from The Netherlands, Australia, China, you name it. I've been able to interact with major league players and their families through the beauty of the internet and my "family of blogs."

And this blog has earned me money, through magazine writing, a job I did used to dream about as a youngster.

So, yeah, blogging may not be "relevant" to those who measure social media trends or a lot of people who have fled blogging for "something easier" or less time-consuming. But blogging still means quite a bit to me (also, for the first time, I'm starting to feel like this blog may outlive some social media sites).

Besides, 15 years down isn't all that long. The blog is still a teenager!
 
I have a lot of nostalgia for what was happening with blogs 15 years ago and I've written about that. On this occasion I thought I'd go back to 2008 and relive a number of NOC firsts that happened those first four months I blogged. Consider it my Firsts series, the Night Owl Cards edition.
 

FIRST CARD I SHOWED ON THE BLOG


A 2007 Upper Deck First Edition card of Justin Verlander. That's right, Verlander and NOC are both still in action!

This was the only card on the first post I made and it showed up at 3:34 in the morning. I am somewhat surprised that I still own this card.


FIRST OFFICIAL AWESOME NIGHT CARD

The Verlander is a night card, but the first Awesome Night Card post featured this 1983 Topps Britt Burns card. I rarely write Awesome Night Card posts anymore and I was a lot less particular about my scans being straight back then.


FIRST PACK RIP


The first pack I opened on the blog was an underwhelming selection of 2008 Topps Chrome. It did contain a Dodger (Brad Penny) but it also contained TWO of those Mickey Mantle cards that were pervasive 15 years ago. It took me a long time to figure out it's not productive to buy packs housing Rockies, and I still lose my mind from time to time.


FIRST HIT PULLED


My favorite thing to open at this time was 2008 Allen & Ginter. It's still my favorite A&G set. I was in full blaster-buying mode particularly when I started the blog. This Tom Glavine relic pull was featured. I don't have this no more.


FIRST CARDBOARD APPRECIATION POST


Cardboard Appreciation is still rocking, I'm up to 324 of them, which is pretty good considering they've become just about the least-read posts I write. I like doing them because they're often simple and a lot less time-consuming and also because it gives me the chance to showcase a card I'm particularly fascinated with at that time.

Obviously I will never stop being fascinated with this Boog Powell card, the very first CA subject.


FIRST PRIZE PACKAGE RECEIVED


I landed a nice box of cards from Dave of Tribe Cards and was forever changed. The wild west show of blogging where people just sailed boxes of cards across the country to unsuspecting collectors for absolutely nothing is still the craziest outpouring of card generosity I've ever seen. This hobby is very generous, but the current versions can not compare.

The Stan Javier signed card was also the first autograph I landed from a fellow blogger.
 

FIRST CUSTOM CARD RECEIVED


There was lots of custom-card making during the early blogging days, although very few were printing off their creations. This '75 Koufax image arrived in an email from Travis of Punk Rock Paint (I know many of you reading this now don't know these blog references, but they were/are very cool people). I still have it. I should print it out myself finally.


FIRST TRADE FROM ACROSS THE POND


A staggering trade to my experience showed up that first year from Westgate-On-Sea in Kent, England, good ol' Jake Plumstead from The Pursuit Of '80sness. How the heck did he get those current baseball cards all the way out there? I don't think I still know. I also wonder how he's doing these days.
 

FIRST TEAM TRADE


All right! Someone who is still blogging and was blogging before I was! My first team-for-team trade was with Kerry of Cards On Cards back in October of 2008. And as I showed a couple days ago, it's still an effective way to get the cards you want.


FIRST SET COMPLETED


The first set I completed while blogging was within the first couple of months and it was 2008 Allen & Ginter, the first of seven straight A&G sets I'd finish.


FIRST OLDER SET COMPLETED


That would be 1983 Topps -- hey, it's that Jeff Newman card again -- my favorite 1980s set of all-time.


FIRST PARALLEL PULLED


I unwisely bought a pack of 2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes but was rewarded with this red parallel of Andre Ethier.


FIRST GIVEAWAY


With all the giveaways going on around me in 2008, it just seemed like the thing to do. So I gave away a bunch of packs of 1993 Upper Deck that I picked up at a show. I don't think many of them stuck together.


FIRST CARDS BOUGHT AT A CARD SHOW



I had started going back to shows a couple years before starting the blog. But at my first show since blogging in October of '08 I was in full pursuit of the 1971 Topps set. I was also grabbing Dodger needs from the mid-to-late '60s/early '70s. Both of these cards arrived from that first show.


FIRST ODDBALL SET LANDED


The first oddball cards I received through the blog was the 5-card 1978 Zest set, which I still adore for this Willie Montanez card. It came from JayBee, who blogging old-timers know as the guy who maintained the ultimate card blog roll. That's where you went to find out what new card blogs had started, so you could add them to your roll.

JayBee was one of the big bloggers from the time, but he slowly got out of the game and then he said he started checking my blog roll to update his. I don't do such a good job of tracking down new blogs these days (it doesn't help that the blog roll updating function is broken). But some new card blogs do keep showing up.

That's the thing about blogs -- they keep going years and years and years after people have tried to kill them off. And I'm always amazed that while readers disappear, new ones show up. It happens every single year.

So, yeah, I'll keep writing this blog and keep being a so-called shining light among dwindling readership.

Life may have its say, but I'll try to keep going at the same pace and do some of the same things. And if ever, in the future, I decide to stop blogging, I will try not to disappear without a word, or delete my blog, or any of those weird things that sometimes happen.
 
Still no guarantees. After all, NOC is entering year 16 now. It can drive. And other things. Watch out. 

(Thanks for reading).

Comments

GTT said…
Thanks for 15 years! I'm a late-comer to the blogging world so I wasn't present for most of them, but I'm very grateful for what I've been around for.
Zippy Zappy said…
Congrats on 15 years.
Nachos Grande said…
A bunch of great "old names", definitely a blast from the past. I started my blog on June 17, 2008 - maybe one of these years I'll remember/think about doing a retrospective for Nachos Grande. I did have to go back and look - my second post on my blog was a review of 2007 Topps Heritage (for which I paid $55 AFTER shipping on eBay for a hobby box)! Times sure have changed!

PS: You keep writing, I'll keep reading.
Jeremya1um said…
Congrats on 15 years! Wish I had found your blog sooner. Please don’t go away!
I've had the pleasure of reading 10 of those years. Thank you.
AdamE said…
Congratulations! Though I'm not still a Blogger I am still a reader and I will be as long as your still going. Here is to many more years!!
Brett Alan said…
Crazy that the first card you published is of a guy still playing!

I can't say I go back to the earliest days, but I've been here every day since I got back into the hobby, and I hope it will be here for many years to come.
Angus said…
I'm glad that your blog allowed me to make a friend!

I look forward to our next show.
simpson said…
congrats man, still my first blog I hit up to read. here's to as many as you wish!
It is easy for me to remember that day you started. September 13, 2008 was my 51st birthday,now Im 66 and still reading and enjoying NOC. Thanks for so many years of good writing. Congratulations to the Dodgers again this year.
Matt said…
I have been around for 11 years now and have been reading. I would love to do a post of firsts but it’s becoming impossible to do that on sport card collectors with literally nobody commenting there anymore. Cards over coffee is still so fresh not sure it’s worth it there. Guess I will have to wait awhile.

Congrats again on hitting the big milestone and I am looking forward to year 16!
Michael Ott said…
Congrats on another big anniversary!
Stay off the grass
Anonymous said…
Greg, Have enjoyed the site since the beginning. Thanks for all your work. Looking forward to the next 15 years.
GCA said…
I feel like a "veteran" of the blogging world, but don't claim to have contributed nearly as much as you have. My first card post was 2009, but I didn't really get rolling with more than a handful of posts per year until 2017. And that has peaked and receded back to a trickle since then.

This will always be the standard from which all others are judged. Congrats.
BillK21093 said…
Night Owl

Thanks for 15 great years. I have no use for Twitter, so blogs are still my way of enjoying the hobby.

Great shout out to JayBee whose Blogroll is how I found you.

Here's to another 15 years.
Michael D said…
Congrats on 15 years! I hope I have the fortitude to keep mine going that long. After reading this one, we may have a difference of opinion on my next one! Congrats again.
Crocodile said…
Wow 15 years seems like a l-o-n-g time. Congrats!
Matt said…
Happy blog anniversary! I may not have been a loyal reader for the entire time, but I will be for the next 15 years!
gregory said…
15 years old? I hope the blog doesn't start to brood and talk back to its parents like human 15-year-olds can. Jokes aside, thank you for providing so much entertainment and inspiration. NOC was one of the first blogs I came across when I got back into collecting in 2016. Looking forward to lots more. Congrats again!
Old Cards said…
Congrats. I like your Cardboard Appreciation posts. That Sandy Koufax card is very nice.
Base Card Hero said…
Congratulations! I have always enjoyed reading your posts.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

I wouldn't even know how to start a blog if you'd given me the bl-g as a starting point. Congrats!
Nick said…
A (belated) congrats on 15 years, my friend! Count me as one of the many who are grateful for your excellent blog. I've learned a whole lot about cards from you, and just as importantly, I'm always entertained!

(Now I need to go back and see what the first card show I posted on my blog was, because I honestly can't remember.)
Jafronius said…
Great post...congratulations on 15 years sir!
Congratulations on 15 years. Since I've started reading NOC, you've helped to multiply my enjoyment of baseball card collecting tenfold.

I only discovered your blog about four years ago but, hey, that's what the archives are for.
Congratulations on 15 years! I am about four years into reading your posts and appreciate your insight and writing. You influenced me to create one as well. Someday I hope to start posting more consistently!

Great post and looking forward to another 15!
Fuji said…
Congratulations! Looks like the start of your blog came right around the time when I returned to the hobby. It also marks my transition from elementary school teacher to middle school. One one hand... it seems like it was just yesterday. On the other hand... so much has changed over that time span.

carlsonjok said…
So, I'm scrolling down and I get to First Oddball Set, but I can only see the top third of the card. I recognize it as 1978 Topps and figured it was the Burger King set. I was surprised to find it was a small Zest set, which I never knew existed until just now. I've been back collecting over 12 years now and I just learned something new.

Anyways, congraulations!
Nick Vossbrink said…
Big time congrats. That's a long time to not only be blogging but to be on the same subject.
Matthew Glidden said…
Congrats on number 15! Happy to be a long time reader and hope to keep it up.
Jon said…
Happy belated 15th, Greg! Hopefully you, and Blogger, will still be around for at least another 15.
RJ Sahl said…
I read your post a few days ago and now thanks to reading another blog I was directed back to it. Congratulations on 15 years! I wrote for a weekly racing newspaper for 8 years. Getting published under someone else's deadline is not always very fun. Your blog always has some great content. Thanks for doing it!