Skip to main content

No more card sizeism

 
I've told this story a couple of times already, but you're used to that. That's what happens when I'm operating a blog long past its "best-used-by" date.
 
About 20-25 years ago, I was in a bad place as far as cards and collecting. I had stopped collecting a few years earlier and I had considered the hobby part of my past. Yet, I still owned most of my collection, and somewhere deep down, I still did value them.
 
This wasn't a time where I could sell off my cards for an easy profit -- I wasn't online then -- and thank goodness because I would have done it. But that's why I did sell some of my card stuff at a good old American garage sale.

I took a look at what cards I had that I absolutely didn't want. I targeted the monster box of 1989 Topps dupes and ... somebody actually bought it! I also targeted anything that wasn't regulation card size, 2.5-by-3.5. I didn't think they measured up to the "real cards."

So I put some 1986 Donruss Pop-Ups out in the garage sale. I threw in my complete 1992 Topps micro set. And I offered up my 1980 and 1981 Topps Super glossies, those 5x7 beauties, as well. I didn't know it at the time but I was discriminating against my cards because of their size.

All those cards sold.

It took me a long time to regret selling that stuff and I still don't regret dispensing most of it. But the 1980 and 81 glossies, man, I wish I had those back.

I wished and I wished and I did get a couple back here and there, but I didn't really get fired up about it until someone announced acquiring the whole 1980 set on Twitter/X a few weeks ago. Then I heard how much it cost. And then I started looking for my own set.

It didn't take long. But now I own the whole thing.


That's all 60 cards in the set. Sure, the gloss has worn off -- the pictures are 43 years old! -- but that doesn't matter to me. What matters is they are all finally home.

I don't have memories of how these were displayed when I was buying them at the Greek deli in the neighborhood in 1980 and 1981. I said in a previous post that they were one per pack. But others remember them being three or five to a pack in a clear plastic display with either a green or yellow card at the top.

Others remember them being loose in a box where you could just pull out the ones you wanted. I thought someone was putting me on, but it's apparently true. That sounds bananas. I can easily see sticky-fingered kids rifling through them all, leaving only Bruce Bochte and Rick Bosetti in their wake.
 
The following are the ones I remember owning before, meaning I pulled these out of whatever packaging was in that deli store:
 

I can't stress enough how much these seemed like the height of card class and technology at the time. Glossy photos in the early '80s were what shiny was to the '90s. Just beautiful large photos -- larger than life, I'm sure the advertising said -- of your favorite players.



There are some of the superstars in the set. Lots of those pictures are new to me, fascinating considering I've known this set for almost half a century. The Carew and Brett I picked up at an antique shop about four years ago, so dupes of these is just wild.



I remember being a little obsessed with this one. Nolan Ryan's arrival with the Astros was big news at the time and that bright orange hat could always draw me in. I don't think I ever saw this in person, it must have been advertised somewhere. I know I wished I had it.



An interesting photo. That doesn't seem like a cardinal noise coming out of Simmons' mouth. More like a crow.



Here are some of my favorite players from that time period in the set. I've owned the Dodgers cards for a long time. I also landed the 1981 Superstar Home Team set a couple of years ago. I remember buying the '81 National Team set cards at that same deli a year later, maybe I'll get those someday, too. It's a much smaller set.



A few more favorites from that time. Can't leave these guys out.



Here are some young stars from that time who didn't have the star-packed careers maybe some thought they would, although we were still a few years away from prospecting. Wish we could go back to when nobody cared about that. It made the hobby a lot less complicated.

Anyway, it's a joy to have this whole set finally in my possession. And I have plenty of two-pocket pages available to house all of these. I wouldn't be surprised if two-pocket pages were created just for these cards!

They're the first cards of this size I ever knew. Sorry, dudes, that I sold ya the first time.

Comments

I do like the format of these: just a big portrait and a facsimile autograph. No crazy design elements.
Don said…
I remember having some of these back when I was a kid. I also remember having some of the football ones also.

These cards really pop in the large format.

I will add one additional opinion. The 86 donruss design looks a lot better on the large size all star cards that year.
Old Cards said…
I guess that's about the size of it!
I just finished using what 4 pocket pages I had with the Donruss biggies. Now I must get a box of the pages. I have to binder those HOF plaque post cards. I let my glossy cards go 10 years ago except for the Braves and the few PC guys that I had at that time. Unless I get a set on the cheap I'll have to continuing mourning for you. LOL. Okay for me.
bryan was here said…
I. too sold all my oversized cards several years ago in a garage sale. I didn't regret it until about a month ago when an eBay seller sent me some of the '80 cards in place of the '89 Mets Kahns team set that he was out of. One of those was the Ryan, which I used to have in a frame. I remember selling the Ryan, frame and all, for $10 back then.

One thing that amused me was that the Rick Manning card is airbrushed.
Cardboard Jones said…
As much as I like the simplicity of these cards I never could get beyond the size. I have picked up stuff such as the larger box toppers of recent years but storage has always been a problem. But good for you for being able to get the whole set. Beautiful looking cards.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Never saw these as a kid. A shame since I would've loved them. When I opened up my childhood collection I found that my binder of non-standard-sized cards was one of my favorite things to go through. I evidently loved getting weird sizes and finding the pages to fit them and even today I like that kind of weird stuff (as long as it fits in a binder)

Also, while I totally understand why you avoid showing Giants cards (especially of guys like Jack
Clark who went out of their way to kill the Dodgers) his card in this set has him wearing a pillbox Giants cap. I don't think that cap shows up anywhere else on cardboard (and there are precious few photos of it in general) which makes that card kind of amazing to me.
Matt said…
When I was a kid, a family member gave me the Yaz and Lynn inside small picture frames. For the longest time I thought they were just photographs. I still have them, still in their frames.
1984 Tigers said…
I do remember in early fall 1980 finding these at our local drug store. You could pick any out of the box. Maybe 25 cents? I didn't fill the set but did pick up the guys I liked. There may have been some stores with them in a 3 or 5 card pack too but the but one at a time was my preference. Lee Mazzili was a hot card because of his 79 all star game performance and his flair.

My favorite memory of these was collecting the 1981 topps and getting your choice of a 5 card set if you drew and scratched off a card with a walk. Four walks plus a bit of money got you the set. I also had one card with a single. That got me a Topps book on baseball card collecting. There were three sets. I still have the sets in the mailing envelopes from topps and the book too. If I ever get around to setting up at a show, I'm hoping to sell the full group and book in the envelopes. Use the money to buy tickets to our local Great Lakes Loons team.
carlsonjok said…
That Gorman Thomas card is absolutely fantastic.
Fuji said…
These came out a year before I started collecting... so I don't remember ever seeing them. The idea of having singles laying in a box for kids to pick through is different. Almost like the hobby's predecessor to the dime box.
Anonymous said…
They did a good job airbrushing Ryan's card. Almost can't tell