Skip to main content

There's no beating the OGs

 
I have never traded with anyone for longer in my life than Cards On Cards.

Not with my brothers. Not with co-worker Carl years ago. Not that one kid in high school. Heck, high school lasted four years. I've been traded with Kerry of Cards on Cards for 15!

I have proof of that, which will become apparent in a couple days. But trust me for now, I'm talking about one of the OGs when it comes to trading. 

For years I have sent him my Cardinals and I get his Dodgers. That's an arrangement that has always worked. Since we first started transacting, he's had other collectors come after his Dodgers. I don't know how he distributes them all. I know that when Cardinals collectors have wanted to team trade with me in the past, I've shrugged my shoulders and said, "sorry, Cards on Cards gets them all." I just don't have that kind of inventory.

I'm always setting aside cards for him, which makes me feel good when another envelope arrives from all the way across the country. I'll have an answer soon enough.

For now, though, it's time to show off what he sent, mostly Dodgers goodies.
 
 

All right, going with the exception right away. The 1985 Donruss has been pouring in. Another TCDB trade full of them arrived and I'm closing in on two-thirds of the set. That Schmidt card is pretty cool, it gives me '80s Fleer vibes.
 
 

1950s relic swatches are the exception to the Played Out Relic Game. I love the wool bits and who doesn't enjoy part of jersey from the manager of the Boys Of Summer?
 
 

I have no idea what inserts are in current sets these days. So when I get something like this I have to look up which year it came from. It could be anything from 2019 to present (well, with Freeman I can narrow it down). This is from this year. It's a 20-card insert set and it's players from California, Florida, Texas and Georgia over and over. The back tells you about their youth ball days, which is kind of interesting.



Hey! It's my first short-printed base card from this year's Tiered Big League set, which has the inside track on worst set of the year! I don't know what this is, uncommon or rare, I suppose. We should not be using those descriptors for cards in a set, but here we are. Have I mentioned I haven't completed a traditional set that's more recent than 2015?
 


So happy when this card appeared. I enjoy the bright, retro inserts from this time period (appropriately from an Upper Deck set called "Retro"). The Dodgers don't make too many appearances in inserts from the late '90s. Most of the time, it doesn't matter because the inserts don't appeal to me. But this one -- I've wanted this for quite awhile. ... That insert name though ...



Here's a player that was a star when both Cards On Cards and I were blogging up a storm. I think the "Thunder and Lightning" theme is overdone but it's still fun to see lightning on cards.
 


Most of these Heritage cards showed up a few days late as I had gained all but the Cain for my set already. But I'm down to needing just two of the non-SP cards in the set so it's going to be dribs and drabs from here on out.

So that's about it -- well, there was a Julio Urias card in there but you don't need to see that -- another successful send from Cards On Cards. That's a streak of success that's got be close to a 100 packages in a row by now.

You can't beat it. You just can't.

Comments

Nachos Grande said…
Yep, Kerry is an excellent outlet for unwanted Cardinals cards! He's one of the first I traded with as well - and still one of the best there is.

Also, I agree on your take on this year's tiered Big League, it's a move that Upper Deck used to do that I hated then and now I hate it when Topps is doing it. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for flag cards so I actually like those "favorite son" cards...not enough to collect the set for myself but I do like it.
Brett Alan said…
Love the "Groovy Kind Of Glove" insert theme. The Mindbenders for the win!
madding said…
I think the latter half of the '90s was the peak for cringey insert names.
Nick said…
My blogger trading list isn't too long these days - just don't have the time to trade with 25 different people anymore, sadly - but Kerry has always sent wonderful trade packages. Really need to strike up another trade with him soon. "Groovy Kind of Glove" is one of my favorite insert sets of the '90s because of how wacky it is.
I'm liking that groovy card too. I don't remember them.
Grant said…
That Mondesi insert is great.
bryan was here said…
Not too many late '90s sets catch my eye. UD Retro is one of them. Those Groovy Kinda Glove inserts were pretty cool, I know I have Ken Caminiti and probably that Mondesi.
Kevin said…
Have an arrangement with a Tigers collector yet? I have some Dodgers you may want.
Fuji said…
15 years and close to 100 packages is damn impressive! That Dressen relic is pretty impressive too.
Jon said…
I don't put a lot of faith in their authenticity, but I like the relics with the bits of older looking fabric too.
Jafronius said…
Great stuff from Kerry!