Skip to main content

I don't think I want every Dodger card anymore

 
I've reached a realization that's been coming for awhile now.

Over the past six or seven years, the quest to pursue every Dodgers card has grown more and more ludicrous to me.
 
 I've known that it's an impossible quest and I've known that probably since the early days of this blog. But even then, even after everything that happened in the 1990s, "collecting them all" still seemed like something I could rationalize. Things hadn't gotten quite so ridiculous.

Then, around 10 years ago or so, we started seeing stuff like inserts being paralleled in earnest. Then, around the same time, card companies got into online exclusives and then those exclusives started being issued weekly. Then Panini issued Chronicles, which is sets within a set with multiple parallels of parallels. Then Topps started creating parallel sets, things like Allen & Ginter Chrome. Then Topps started issuing multiple chrome brands, cosmic and sonic and bionic and moronic.
 
It's an impractical quest being a team collector now. Each year you know you're beaten before you start. I naturally gravitated toward team collecting when I began a blog because that was the quest as a kid -- find all the Dodgers. It seemed difficult at the time, even with only one set when I started. Even trying to finish off team sets for three or four brands sounds quaint now.
 
But still I've plodded on, knowing, but pretending not to know.
 
Then the other day I received four envelopes from Johnny's Trading Spot. The next day, nine more showed up (my wife said, "You have 9 envelopes here from John -----". Yup, that's nothing new).
 
Most of the cards were Dodgers, stuff he had accumulated but wasn't interested in -- I'm an easy and willing target.
 

I will gladly take stuff like this (Andre Jackson was the overwhelming champion of these envelopes). I like Chrome, I am still a sucker for colored parallels and the parallels that were around when I started blogging.
 


I probably should stop caring about these -- no logos, you know -- but this year's Panini (Donruss and Prizm) is showing off older players while also including guys who ended up getting called up during the year, so that's a little bit interesting.

But then there is stuff that gives me no joy and makes me question what I'm doing, even if I'm not buying these kinds of cards.


This is the prime example. A foil stamp does not make anything a "new card." That should have stayed in the '90s. It's the most pointless "parallel" I can think of. It's even more useless when it's connected to "The 582 Montgomery Club" which is some Topps club that I'm surprised is still suckering people into joining -- why in the world would I want a card advertising that?

The same goes for the All-Star Game stamps. I like my All-Star cards but not this gimmick. And one more gimmick: the gold star parallels that showed up a couple of years ago are still showing up! I remember when I saw these for the first time, I thought, "well that's just copying Panini" and then Topps kept doing it! Stop buying these guys!
 


Here is other Dodger stuff I should stop collecting: Parallel sets like Allen & Ginter and Stadium Club Chrome; Topps Now cards; Bowman everything, especially inserts; inserts that look cool -- like the '95 Finest Taylor -- but I can't figure out what set it goes to; reverse image variations like the Duke Snider; and inserts that contain more than one card of the same guy like the Muncy Home Run Challenge.

All of these are not needed as far as my collection goes, I can't find a reason why they exist, except that Topps/Panini wants to trap another collector.
 
So what does that mean for me?
 
I haven't quite figured that out. I don't want to turn away or discourage people sending me Dodgers cards. Sometimes I find cool stuff I didn't know about through random sends.
 
But I think pretty much what it means is there are going to be some types of cards now that don't go in my Dodger binders, and get banished to an "Also" box.
 
I used to shudder at such a thought, but the binders that claim to have "all" the Dodgers aren't even close to being complete. As my collection grows, the further and further away I get from completion. So the extras box seems inevitable.
 
I know player collectors and collectors who pick-and-choose what cards they like, regardless of team or set, have done this for years and have figured that all out already.
 
But they didn't grow up during the time that I did, when completion was the goal and having a favorite team was an easier way to get there (completing a full set on a paper route salary was hard).
 
Speaking of that, a couple envelopes that Johnny sent were my favorites and that's because they are related to that simple time in collecting -- the '70s.
 

Johnny found not quite all, but almost all, of the non-SP wants I had left in 2023 Heritage (which as you know duplicates the set that were the first cards I owned). I think there's maybe five or so left. It's interesting that I wasn't able to get two of the Aaron Judge cards until now.
 

And Johnny's about the only other blogger that gets the appeal of vintage Wacky Packages, those stickers that I collected right along with 1975 Topps. I adore these.

This doesn't mean I'm going to cut back on collecting my Dodgers -- I already don't buy a lot of that stuff that I complained about up top. But I think I'll be freeing up a decent amount of space in my binders for Dodger cards that have meaning to me.

Because, to be honest, there are a few of them that absolutely do not. Thanks for killing a good thing, Topps and Panini.

Comments

No logo cards are the cheapest looking cards. I feel differently about Ralston Purina no logo cards from the 80s and 90s; but they stuff now is just heinous. Good luck collecting the Dodgers you do collect; and enjoy the freedom of realization that you don't need them all. "How free it is, you have no idea how free—— / The peacefulness is so big it dazes you..."
Old Cards said…
With the volume of card production over the last several years, I don't know how you have done it as long as you have.
Zippy Zappy said…
As a former player collector I fully understand how annoying and mind-numbing keeping track of parallels and acquiring them can be. The thought of having to do that multiple times for each player on a team is harrowing and something that weighed into my decision when I first entered the hobby and was trying to determine what I wanted to collect. Since I don't really do the full time player collection anymore I just go with what parallels are visually appealing or at least have a gimmick that I admit are enjoyable to me personally. Stuff like very shiny refractors or those vintage stocks on paper stock.
Nachos Grande said…
Yep, I gave up being a proper Reds collector a number of years ago for all of the reasons you stated. I still get my fill of plenty of pointless parallels with my Barry Larkin collection - one player is bad enough, couldn't imagine doing that for a full team of players!
1984 Tigers said…
Nice to see the topps wacky packs. Same era as you, I split my paper route money during spring between cards and stickers. Some years ago, the topps fun packs from late 70s and early 80s had a few packs of the circa 1979 wacky packages. Bought a few bags in ebay for about 30 dollars. Opened quite a few but still have a bunch of packs unopened. If you are (re-)collecting the 79 era set, let me know if I can help.

It seemed like early 90s when the pricier brands started trying to get a head start on rookies well before the majors debut. Bowman was really big on it. While they hit on guys like Mariano Rivera, other guys like Nigel Wilson (one time 92 expansion draft and supposed future Marlin HOF) barely made a dent but were on beckett hot list for a year.
I am so laughing my ass off right now. LOL. I have said it before and saying it again here. The production of cards is 10x that of the 80-90s that ten years from now all of the "hit" getters today are going to crap their pants for what they hung onto. You know me, I collect every Braves card, 1500} player collection s (although 500 or so have been dumped or allocated to living the rest of their lives in a box), set builds, and still way to many mini collections. I still do it because I don't pay squat for the cards I buy mostly, you know I like them deals. BTW, I have already gotten another stack of Dodgers I think you may not have, LOL. Half of which came from player dumping or 1st wave PC dupes.
Same here Night Owl. On Friday while searching '57, 58, and 59 common boxes to add to my Cubs team sets, all I heard from the little kid there with his dad was parralel this and out of 150 that.

I'm staying focused on Topps base only for collecting and can not get used to cards with no logos... They look dumb.

Stay true to what makes you happy and enjoy!
Vrooomed said…
I started collecting a little later than you (1978) but was also a little older than the average kid for when they start. I got lucky, got working for a card shop, and was getting stuff at his cost. My collection grew nicely. While in college, things got completely out of control (for me), and I stopped buying for a couple years. When I came back into buying again, I had to figure out where to draw the line(s) for my various collections. I like my complete sets. I also like my HOFers. I also like my Phillies. As for my Phillies collection, since that is the closest relation to your situation, I have decided that I wanted to "really go for" all the (non-variation) base cards from Topps from 1951 to current, and also the Bowman cards up to 1955. Also, if there are 2 versions of the same card (red text/black text, etc.), I go after 1. If I get anything else that doesn't fall into that classification, I still collect it and keep it in the appropriate binder (organized chronologically - all 16 of them). According to TCDb, there are more than 176,000 Phillies cards available. I have more than 10,000 of them. I'm a numbers guy, so at one point, I looked at the percent of the cards for each year that I had. In the 1950s and 60s, the percentages go from the upper 20s percentage to over 50%. In 1998, and every year since then, it's in single digits (2001 "tops them out" at a whopping 8.6%). Maybe I'll get the all for a single year, but even when I looked at it that way, almnost every year has some card (or cards) that are next to impossible to find, or if they are found, they are out of my budget. I'll stick to the base cards, I'll even throw the chromes and heritage sets on my wantlist at TCDb. All of this to say basically, set your limits or "personal rules", and stick to it. This is supposed to be a hobby - and hobbies are supposed to be fun. I hope you can continue to have fun with it and not feel stressed about what you should keep and what you should move.
Metallattorney said…
I'm a team collector too. I gave up a long time ago to get them all. My preference is still to get all the base cards and then fill in parallels and inserts, but even then. I just get cards when I get them.

I have made things a bit more difficult on myself by having one or two player collections within my team collection. I've had three big ones over the years that I have tried to get everything.
Nick Vossbrink said…
There are very few cards I don't want in my binders (current list is Bonds HR chase, UD Documentary, and 2013 Triple Play) but there's a huge bucket of cards that I don't actively seek. Basically if it's not flagship, heritage, or stadium club it's not on my searchlist.
madding said…
Andy Pages? Gavin Stone? Are you sure those are real guys?
Michael Ott said…
Well said. I'm also from the collecting era when completion of a team set was feasible, before it transitioned to near-impossible, and then ludicrous.

Why waste time/money/space on cards that don't mean anything to you?
Chris said…
Can't say I blame you. Waaay too many pointless products out there, not enough competition/bang for your buck, and too many cards of journeymen/non-prospects. It's so frustrating to be a traditional collector these days. I'm very picky about adding to my Red Sox/Devils collections these days, and not just because I have limited space in my card room. Henry Owens was my Andre Jackson :/
Doc Samson said…
Well said, Mr. Owl. There’s nothing more I could add except that do these “collectors” realize what’s going on in our economy right now?
1984 Tigers said…
Around the time the hobby jumped the shark and each company began printing multiple sets plus chase cards, I almost bought the "alphabetical" or "team by team" books by beckett where you could collect by name or team nearly every card every made, including the 68 game card inserts, etc. That was 1991. Thought it would be nice to go after tigers cards, at least back to 39 and 40 years.

1992 it was upper deck only, though I wish I had bought the topps in hindsight. By 1993, it was 100% dedicated to upgrading my 60s and 70s sets and starting pre 1968 sets, starting with baseball.

Sometime around 97 or 98, I bought a 6 card glossy pack of football while waiting in line at the grocery store. Found out that unless I got one of the 1:18, 1:36, inserts I just wasted 3 bucks that I could have used to upgrade a few of my 71 topps black bordered cards.

I will go after more recent tigers guys like Greene, Torq, and Carpenter but that's the limit for now.
Cardboard Jones said…
Having wrestled with the same issues you're facing, I can understand how difficult it is coming to the realization that you can't collect it all. Time and time again I've said I'm only collecting Topps but then see a card of another brand and then once I get it, feeling like I have to have the entire team set. At one point I figured I'd trade in being a team set collector for doing an all-time roster project (1 card of each player) but even that was difficult as there would be multiple cards I would like to have of certain players. Not necessarily because I like the player but because I like the card. But the thought of just collecting cards because I like them doesn't make sense to me. They have to fit a purpose.
AdamE said…
Myself I only do Red Sox base cards now, no inserts or parallels. When I randomly get inserts or parallels I keep them but I don't chase them. The only parallels I go after now are A&G minis because they are plentiful (I don't mess with back parallels though, a mini is a mini). I used to do Topps Gold Parallels and Chrome refractors but they stopped being plentiful so I stopped chasing them like 10 years ago.
Jafronius said…
Maybe you decide on a final year to "collect everything" and after that year becomes what you enjoy seeing in your binders?