Skip to main content

Look at what dayf left under the tree

December 23rd is a big day for me. Each year it's the day of "the wrapping and the cursing." Or the "cursing and the wrapping." Take your pick.

For me, the thing I like least about Christmas is wrapping presents. I'm not a big complainer when it comes to Christmas. I love almost everything about it. But I was cursed with a complete inability to wrap presents. What your average person with average dexterity could wrap in five minutes takes me 40 minutes, if I'm lucky. On Monday, while completing my Christmas shopping, I walked past the "free gift-wrapping" table for a reason that I will be searching for until next Christmas. I'm just on an eternal quest to make my life more difficult, I guess.

So, time is short. But I need to post at least a little bit of what dayf of Cardboard Junkie sent me as part of his great Christmas giveaway. Hopefully, I'll post a little now and then some more after Christmas. That's the plan anyway.

First off, he sent the cards (a bunch of Dodgers, plus some key '95 Topps and a couple '83 Topps) wrapped in festive snowman paper! And, like a jerk, I tore into the wrapping and the present two days before the big day. I couldn't help myself. It's cards!

Maury Wills, 1985 Topps Collectors' Series. I received several cards from sets I've never seen before, including this one. I like the backs because they're bright, old-fashioned Tampa Bay Buccaneers' orange.

At one point I did know that Wills' middle name was "Morning," but I had since forgotten it. Until now!

Fernando Valenzuela, 1991 Stadium Club, Charter Member. Nice card, especially the back.

Ah, the "Stadium Club Herald." I think it eventually folded because of content issues. Namely, an inability to hire writers who could, um, write. That is not clean copy. Because I'm a good little editor, I marked up the "Herald's" write-up, noting the errors. This is what it looks like:

Hope you can see all that (click on it for a larger view). Them's a lot of red marks. I'm not going into everything that's wrong with the write-up. Let's just say that would never see the light of day in just about any newspaper.

Don Drysdale, 1982 Kmart, 20th Anniversary set. This is part of that set that Kmart issued in so many quantities that every card books for about a half cent. I don't remember these highlight cards. And it's Big D, so that automatically makes the card great.

And this automatically makes the package great. And a true Christmas gift. Send me all your Sandy Koufax cards (this is a 2002 Upper Deck World Series Heroes). Thanks, Dave! Merry Christmas!

(Reminder: countdown and contest starts after Christmas!)

Comments

The Madlock is from the 87 Donruss opening day set, which had the opening day starting lineup in it.
night owl said…
Thanks, Rod. Everyone needs an editor. :)
capewood said…
I got pretty much those same cards from dayf but in Phillies versions. What a great guy.