Skip to main content

How can I refuse?

 
I've gone on way too much on my love for music acts on cards. It's safe to say that if cards of rock musicians were as prevalent as baseball cards were when I was a kid, I'd know as much about baseball as my daughter does -- probably less.

There aren't that many music card sets out there and I've completed the big one from '91 MusiCards. There are the Warner Brothers promo cards from the '70s that I love, but they're not easy to find and not affordable either.

So that's basically all I know that's left. Sure, I could collect the Yo, MTV Raps set, but rappers aren't my thing.

That leaves me to taking whatever custom cards I can find. Fortunately we have some great custom-card makers among us bloggers and I have fine -- actually fantastic -- customs of Joan Jett, Garbage's Shirley Manson, Run DMC and a couple of others.

But maybe the highlight showed up in my mailbox the other day. These customs struck at the heart of my budding radio appreciation as well as my teenage years.


Wonderful. Bitchin' actually.

Ann and Nancy Wilson are the voices on rock radio from my early teenage years. Barracuda, Crazy On You, Magic Man, Even It Up, Straight On, all that stuff played on WAAL or WWWE ("3 Double U EEE!") as I was getting ready for school or while doing homework in my bedroom.

I wasn't old enough to buy "Dream Boat Annie" or "Dog & Butterfly," but I eventually grabbed their greatest hits CD and then when they came back again in the mid-1980s, that self-titled LP was a must-have.

I even like the between albums that most ignore, like "Private Audition" and "Passionworks". The Wilson sisters' pioneering spirit is undeniable, the only women who can perform "Stairway To Heaven" in front of Led Zeppelin themselves and bring tears to their eyes. Ann's voice can't be matched in rock circles, I'm always jealous that I wasn't around when their first song appeared on the radio.

Anyway, back to the cards.

They were created by Gregory at Nine Pockets. If you read his post, you know this, but he was commissioned to create these by someone who then sent them out to get signed by Ann and Nancy! Very cool.

The 1967 design kind of throws me. Ann and Nancy were teenagers in '67 and not known musicians. How about throwing those photos on a Topps design from '75 or '76? But I get it, the '67 set is one of the cleanest ever and perfect for signatures.


Continuing the '67 theme, those are the backs. Just terrific work, with the cartoons and the list of songs and albums (that 1990 song I pretend doesn't exist).
 
So  Gregory had some extras and offered them up to takers. Oh man, can I? How can I refuse? I hoped nobody had snuck in before I did. I really wanted these.

Heart is one of those bands that is wrapped up in my life. There are certain key life moments that are connected to Heart songs.

This is like the second or third time I've taken up Gregory on one of his free customs. I think I'm going to have to find a perfect artist or two and commission him for a project.

It's not like Pro Set is coming back to create another music set.

Comments

steelehere said…
Do you have any cards from the 1979 Donruss Rock Stars set?
Heart and Led Zeppelin in the same post. Definitely a trip back to the 80's.
Brett Alan said…
Yeah, I suppose there aren't a lot of rock and roll cards out there. Obviously there are some Beatles-specific sets; I do have a small set (both in terms of number of cards and the size of the cards themselves) which promoted the last Wings album, Back To The Egg.

But without out a doubt the nicest music cards I have are a set from Mr. Softee ice cream issued in England in 1965. It's got the Beatles, Dusty Springfield, Roy Orbison, and Manfred Mann as well as some lesser-known acts such as Kathy Kirby and Cilla Black.
night owl said…
@steelehere ~

I do. It's a pretty limited set. I have a lot of the Brockum Rock cards, too.
Jeff said…
Those Ann and Nancy cards are pretty bad@$$. Ann has one of the best voices ever.
gregory said…
Glad the legendary ladies of rock made it safely to Night Owl headquarters!
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh good 1979 Donruss Rock Stars is already mentioned here. That set makes me miss the days when bands had disinctive logotypes.
Fuji said…
Greg did a fantastic job on these customs! Here's another 80's rock trading card set:

https://www.tcdb.com/Gallery.cfm/sid/154660/1985-Rock-Star-Concert-Cards
Mollie Dalton said…
Cool cards! I don’t know much about them aside from the songs I’ve heard my sister listen too. It’s thought to pick a favorite though between “Barracuda” and “Crazy on You”.
Brett Alan said…
That Donruss Rock Stars set is just so WEIRD. You've got at the time two huge superstar album rock acts, and then one lesser light and one big disco group at the time where the divide between album rock fans and disco fans was absolutely huge. It's almost as though they paid a lot of money to Queen and Kiss thinking that would help them get other big names of the era (Paul McCartney and Wings, Led Zep, the Stones, the Who, Eagles, the Doobie Brothers, the aforementioned Heart, and so on), and then they couldn't get any of them and just kind of threw up their hands.

Then the numbering is weird, some cards have writeups on the back and some have puzzle pieces...just bizarre. Perhaps that explains why I don't remember ever seeing them at the time and I certainly didn't buy any. And I was a big card collector and a big rock fan at the time, although none of the four artists were favorites of mine.
Bo said…
Those are fantastic looking cards. Looks like they are in Central Park, with the Plaza Hotel in the background.

You can't ever go wrong with using a '67 design. As much as I am a fan of the '87 set, I would be quite happy to see Topps use the '67 design as much as they do the '87 design.
Anonymous said…
I'm a rock fan and have much of these cards. I just bought them for my own amusement. Is there a growing market and demand for Music cards?