Skip to main content

The first zipper update


I received at least my 70th card package from Cards On Cards recently. It was heavy on Clayton Kershaw cards new to my collection, which is almost the best card package you can send.

One of the cards was my first 2019 Topps Chrome card. I just can't get myself to buy this stuff anymore, so it is appreciated:


You may think this is the same image of Kershaw that appeared on his 2019 flagship card and you would be right -- and also wrong.

Here is his flagship card:


Now, see them together, side-by-side:


Move your eyes in a downward direction. Notice something different?

Yes!

Somebody has zipped Clayton's zipper!

This was addressed on the Cardboard Icons blog already, but I did notice the same thing at about the same time, and I can't not mention something notable about my favorite Dodger player when it comes to cards.

Because this is a historic moment.

There have been card updates for trades featuring players in different uniforms or in different poses or action shots. And variations come in all shapes: here's a new card where he's blowing a bubble, here's a new card where he's dancing in the dugout, here's a new card of him throwing equipment out on the field after being ejected (wait, baseball cards don't show that).

But for the first time ever we have a zipper update.

I don't know how I feel about this. My gut-instinct is to wish that Topps reacted the way Fleer and all the card companies did back in the day and issue a corrected flagship card. That would cause people to search the entire world for Kershaw's unzipped pants card and that would be pretty fun. The way Topps did it here, I don't know if anyone cares. It gets a: "Well, someone FINALLY noticed" and then everyone moves on.

And honestly I can't think of anything more to say about it.

Here are some other Kershaw cards I needed from Cards On Cards:





And here are some needed card that don't show Kershaw or any unzipped zippers:


Yay! My first Chris Taylor relic card. Remember when Topps had no idea who Chris Taylor was?

I hope everyone enjoys their Labor Day weekend. I'm not sure I'll be posting the next couple days as I will be taking the weekend literally as is usual: I will be Laboring.

Comments

Billy Kingsley said…
The Prizm and Chrome cards look like they could have been taken at the same time, that's cool.
Mike said…
The art cards of Jackie Robinson and Hideo Nomo are very nice. I was starting to disengage with the hobby when Play Ball came out and missed it altogether until getting a few stray cards in a lot several years ago, but I appreciate the effort that went into it. Similarly, it was not until recently that I saw that Topps Gold Label is again a thing. The design on the Kershaw pictured above feels more busy than their old ones, but I always liked the manner in which they managed to balance so many elements (crisp photography, brightness, shininess, graphical elements) without being too much to handle.
Tigers pitcher Paul Gibson appeared on an early version of his 1989 Score card in mid windup with the shortstop in the background ... adjusting himself. Kind of like Fleer with the Bill Ripken card, Score later issued a corrected version with the shortstop's hand edited out.

One of my favorites is the 1972 Topps Billy Martin. I don't think it was ever corrected. If you look closely you'll see Billy being Billy.
Brett Alan said…
I posted about that card on Quora a few months ago; I also mentioned a much earlier example of no less than Hoss Radbourne, um, being Billy. And judging by your avatar you probably know these cards, but elsewhere in answers to the same question there was discussion of Frank Thomas doing the same thing. https://www.quora.com/Are-there-baseball-cards-that-caught-strange-things-on-the-photo-like-a-profane-tattoo-or-profane-hand-gesture-If-such-a-card-exists-does-it-increase-the-value
madding said…
I had no idea about the Kershaw zipper. That's hilarious!
Fuji said…
I'm actually surprised that Topps didn't correct it as part of their flagship. Like you said... it would have stirred up some attention and given collectors another variation to chase down.