Skip to main content

Murphy's law


I passed up a card show yesterday to travel to see family in one of those remote outposts in New York, other than the one in which I live.

Normally, I'd be quite upset about missing a card show. But after what work has foisted on me the last few days, I welcomed the chance to be out of contact for a few days -- or as out-of-contact as is possible in this modern existence (stupid smart phone).

My sister-in-law helped make up for my card show absence with a couple of store packs. She likes to give gifts to family visitors and knows exactly what I want. Allen & Ginter and Stadium Club are as good as you can get, and they came from someone who doesn't follow baseball at all.

The Allen & Ginter hanger pack didn't contain anything exciting.


This was the best card in the pack. I also would have been pleased by the Clayton Kershaw By the Numbers insert if I didn't have it already.

As is customary, there was one short-print in the pack. This was it:


Now, if you are a regular reader of this blog, you know I have pulled this card a few times. I don't buy it for a second that No. 336 in Allen & Ginter is a short-print card, I don't care what they say about cards above No. 300.


I don't buy it at all. There is no other A&G card I've pulled more frequently. Hell, I don't think there is a card from any 2016 set that I've pulled more frequently than ol' Murph.

So that was a tad discouraging, but let's move on to the Stadium Club pack.


As usual, SC contained terrific cards that are well-worth savoring, card by card.



Although I don't like the Yankees or gold-letter parallels, it all works with this card.

The Gehrig card showed up at card No. 8 in the 12-card pack.

Right after this card:


Yup. Ol' Murph again. This time, autographed.

I mentioned on the only other post in which I ever mentioned Tom Murphy that he grew up in a town just about an hour from me. In fact, we drove past it on the way to and from my sister-in-law's this weekend.

I don't think I want to let go of this card. I'm almost afraid to think of what would happen if I did.

Not only is Ginter trying to tell me something, but Stadium Club is, too.

Comments

Zippy Zappy said…
I used to have his Bowman Chrome autograph too. Darn, should've saved it for you.
Jamie Meyers said…
Tom Murphy played in Connecticut last year when we had a functional Double-A club. Nice guy. I'm glad to see him doing well.
Angus said…
LMAO! Sorry, I shouldn't laugh but I can just picture you getting to the Murphy cards in those packs. Would you have preferred Giants cards?
Tony L. said…
In case you missed it, I have a fantastic black Allen & Ginter Tom Murphy autograph that now almost MUST be sent to you.
Jeremya1um said…
Collect him already!!!!!
Always nice to pull an auto from a retail pack no matter who it is!
Thats was one fine TSC pack.
BobWalkthePlank said…
I'm going to tell my sisters in law if they don't have cards for me on each visit I will disown them.
GCA said…
That's just spooky...
Big Tone said…
That Gary Carter card shot me right back to the 80's!What an awesome card!
Fuji said…
You should just embrace this sign from the cardboard gods and let everyone know you've become the very first Tom Murphy super collector.

P.S. You've got the coolest sister-in-law ever!